SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
<div class="IPBDescription">Wondering what NS community thinks</div>Lately I'v been hearing more and more about how the world will end in 2012. Some people out there strongly believe that it's true, some people refuse to believe it no matter how real the idea of the world ending in 2012 sounds, mainly so they could live their lives without worrying about the future. Well, and some people just don't believe it because there's not enough evidence.

I guess I fall in between 2nd and 3rd categories.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtgPaggeTM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtgPaggeTM</a> (part1)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FodtX8C2SCA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FodtX8C2SCA</a> (part2)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFNP3A5WnM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFNP3A5WnM</a> (part3)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoIMDq-ckhk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoIMDq-ckhk</a> (part4)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA0TDBSReO0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA0TDBSReO0</a> (part5 -same as part4)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vfn9ss2nwQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vfn9ss2nwQ</a> (part 6 which is actually part 5)

This documentary promoted by History channel and it has some strong points.

Just wondering what you guys think?

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I find that a single word aptly sums up my thoughts on this topic: Bollocks.
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1713454:date=Jun 22 2009, 02:06 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jun 22 2009, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find that a single word aptly sums up my thoughts on this topic: Bollocks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You've obviously never watched an odd looking bum rock back and forth at the bar chanting "12-20-2012" quietly to himself over a glass of Jack Daniels. Which is to say you've never drank with me.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    None of it is true, non, zip, nada, nein. Nibiru isn't real nor are lizard people.

My favourite deulusion from the conspiracy theorists is that <a href="http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2008/g19/" target="_blank">THIS</a> is actually a planet (nibiru/planet x/whatever) and that it got bigger because it's moving closer to the earth and that the orange stuff on either side of the planet (expanding shell of gas) is actually fire. Fire in space. That's going to come and swing around the Earth and the blazing tail of fire is going to wipe out all life as we know it.

Yeah. I'm utterly terrified.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I think that the world is definitely going to end in 2012, because a primitive civilisation that lived over 1,000 years ago made a calender that ends in 2012.

Why else would the calender end there? Huh?

Answer me that with all your "science" and "facts" and "actual research".

We all know that the myths and legends of old civilisations have always come true.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Mayan calendar is not the only one that suggests the end in 2012...

Watch the youtube videos for more info. especially the 2nd and 3rd part.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    They don't count as anything but entertainment. Next?
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I don't need to watch anything. I'm already 100% convinced that the world's going to end in 2012 because some guy said so.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Yeah it fails Occam's Razor so bad it isn't even funny. Forget the plenty of other reasonable explanations, the sun must have a nigh undetectable dark twin that causes extinctions.

Even if it were true, which I am far from granting, it's not like it would change my life in any meaningful way. It's not like I could avoid absolute destruction by moving to another planet of anything.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1713469:date=Jun 22 2009, 02:58 PM:name=SjN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SjN @ Jun 22 2009, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mayan calendar is not the only one that suggests the end in 2012...

Watch the youtube videos for more info. especially the 2nd and 3rd part.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wait, I have a 2009 calendar that ends in 12/2009, EVERYBODY PANIC! You realize the Mayans never said that the world was ending, just that it would be the beginning of a new epoch(like a Gregorian calendar's turn of a century), right?
    Hell, our calendar ends in 9999. Good thing we had the foresight to put the end of the world so far in the future. But of course the mayans had to ###### it all up. :(
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    If you actually believe in this dump pseudo-science bs, you should preemptivly give your house and other possesions away and take the next open-top space shuttle to space.
    That, or a long walk on a short bridge.
    - or a short walk on a land mine.

I have nothing but cold feelings and a shove out the door for people who insist that these "end of the world" dates must be true, just because a couple of lense-hogging preachers told them of doomsday.

I like to think of myself as a generally respective and open-minded guy, but some time ago I insisted that my girlfriend explained her reason(s) for believing that "there is something more between heaven and eath". It all came down to her, as many others, having a romantic (or something) relation to the thought of a devine deity, a ghost or the afterlife being real.

It's late and I'm doing a 24 hour history exam - I have flushed 4 cups of strong coffee down my mouth, therefore I can't garantee that this post is even close to gramatical standards. Also, Danish.
    edited June 2009
    A 24 hour history exam? wtf?

Oh well, that explains your harsh grumpiness and your grumpy harshness. :D

Oh! Oh! Imagine if, due to a string of design flaws and mishaps, the LHC doesn't start smashing particles together until late 2012! Man, that'll be fun. The doomsday prophets will joygasm.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1713477:date=Jun 22 2009, 02:20 PM:name=Abra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Abra @ Jun 22 2009, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you actually believe in this dump pseudo-science bs, you should preemptivly give your house and other possesions away and take the next open-top space shuttle to space.
    That, or a long walk on a short bridge.
    - or a short walk on a land mine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. There are lots of reasons that people can be wrong about things. I can understand why someone might be misled into believing things that are rather preposterous. The world ending in 2012 is not one of those things. If you have given this more than 5 seconds' worth of thought and decided that there is any truth at all to any of the theories, you'd be doing yourself a favor by huffing paint until you turn into a braindead vegetable, because right now all the brainpower that you have available to you is being misused so egregiously that everything and everyone would be better off if it just ceased.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_21_2012" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_21_2012</a>

Disproves/discredits a lot of the stuff in here.

I think prophecy coming true is cool, but its just coincidence.
    Why aren't we talking about Dragons? There is a documentary about how every civilization has had some version of a dragon, etc etc...
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    Didn't you know? The universe ended at the end of last millennium. We're now living in the old universe's evil twin.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    I think we can all agree that DNF won't be out yet.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I guess after all I am not gonna go ahead with giving away my money to the hungry and moving away to an island where I can spend day and night chanting until the arrival of 2012.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1713485:date=Jun 22 2009, 07:52 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Jun 22 2009, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think prophecy coming true is cool, but its just coincidence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here is a prophecy that I have just predicted after looking through my telling glasses of knowledge. On Friday I will interpret it and prove it was true prophecy.

<b>Yeah, I say unto thee that this prophecy will come to pass as true before the calendar month of June and the date of 26th in the year of 2009. As my eyes see unto the future, I see that machine which pressures the fortunes of others will fail before the last symbolic feather falls from the birds of prey.</b>

Stay tuned
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Historically, what is the probability that humans will survive to the next year, given they're alive in the current year?

100%
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1713509:date=Jun 22 2009, 10:15 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jun 22 2009, 10:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Historically, what is the probability that humans will survive to the next year, given they're alive in the current year?

100%<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not for all instances of human. Human race on the other hand....
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1713509:date=Jun 22 2009, 06:15 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jun 22 2009, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Historically, what is the probability that humans will survive to the next year, given they're alive in the current year?

100%<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Easy, now. Do you have tables of data that conform to a Normal curve with the proper median and sigma values for that?
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    I'll assume you two cool kids are joking, if not, look outside.
    Actually, I think I like the idea about Quetzalcoatl returning in 2012. He seems like a swell feller (not to mention the most pronouncable of the Aztec gods). I'ma stick with him.

No wait. Seems that the mormons believe he is actually Jesus. Suddenly I'm not interested anymore.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    There's a great Neil Gaiman comic called 'Signal to Noise' about a film director dying of cancer imagining how his great untold story would play out. The story is about a village in 999AD panicking about the approaching extra digit in their calendar. One of the central points of the story is about our tendancy to get over fears in the past, ignore fears in the future and obsess irrationally about the fears of the present.

There are many prophecies about the end of the world. We know the ones that didn't happen are false, we don't care about the ones that predict the end of the world in 50 years time but we obsess over anything that has any connection with current happenings.

You should really search out terms like '2012 debunked' because there are many accounts of how ridiculous the 2012 doomsday prediction is with well reasoned and well supported arguments.

At a fundamental level, even if you believe the mayan long calendar has some deep predictive powers about solar/magnetic alignment or whatever, know that Arguelles, the guy who originally plucked 2012 as the date, didn't even adjust the Mayan calendar for the leap year in the gregorian calendar - We passed mayan 2012 a long time ago. If that doesn't set off warning bells, the fact that the guy talks about being a prophet imbued with sacred knowledge should.

SentrySteve is spot on. It's a Copernican argument. There's nothing special about this point in time or space. Move along, nothing to see here. Business will resume as normal tomorrow, and the day after that......

In other words, of all the doomsday prophecies in all of history past and future, why are we so special to live in a time when the prophecies turn out to be accurate?

It is often pinned as an Argument from Incredulity, but it isn't one
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    For the original poster / any believers:

Or, instead of going for puzl's intelligent, reasoned answer and doing some research, I'll cut you a deal. Give me everything you own, I'll write up the contracts now and I'll buy it at say 10% (Because let's be honest, it'll be worthless in a few years at most). There you go, spare cash to enjoy those last months of existence, go you.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Calendar ending? Simple as tetris! Just make a new one, like us people buy it, they will make it - if mayans still exist. I hope its that simple and no world end, because 2012 is a big moment for most of us - we turn frikin 18.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    The world ends on my 23rd birthday, great. Just what I asked for on my birthday wishlist.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1713911:date=Jun 25 2009, 08:56 PM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Jun 25 2009, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The world ends on my 23rd birthday, great. Just what I asked for on my birthday wishlist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What a nice note to end this worthless waste of internet.

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->Locked.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

--Scythe--
This discussion has been closed.