What online PC games are people playing these days?

RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
Well, the topic's come up around the office of playing TF2/HL2:DM again. One of my little desires over the years has been to run a dedicated server with some of my favorites and such. Rounding off my personal list would probably be a Tribes 2 or UT server.

What are you guys playing these days? Or what would you play, given the chance?

Comments

• sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited June 2009
    Dawn of War 2. Not a great game but a good game. Probably the one I'm having most fun with at the moment. Just make sure you team up with people you know.

America's Army 3 is horribly broken at the moment but I'm hoping it'll be playable soon.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    The my computer's broken game(desktop, typing from laptop).

For multiplayer games I sign on TF2 occasionally and NS probably once a month. Mostly just waiting for SC2 and NS2.

for singleplayer:

I'm trying the demo for Lugaru which seems fun, but I'm unable to get it to run decently on my laptop. Hopefully my desktop will be fixed soon and it runs better on windows.

I'm also hoping to pick up some bargain copies of Mirror's Edge and Bioshock later.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I play this old HL mod that isn't cs

it's called natural selection

and that is about it for online games I play
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1713443:date=Jun 22 2009, 01:19 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jun 22 2009, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play this old HL mod that isn't cs

it's called natural selection

and that is about it for online games I play<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Natural Selection? Never heard of it.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Braid and World of goo
    Plants VS Zombies is fun too
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    SjN managed the coveted "trifecta of fail" by naming three single player games. Fantastic job there buddy.

Lately I've been playing Company of Heroes, Men of War, Darkest Hour (Red Orchestra mod), and waiting for Neotokyo to come out.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I got sort of sucked into the world of warcrack again. as far as FPS type games, it's still TF2, but not too frequently =/
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    It's kinda sad that there aren't any online games we all really play other than TF2.
    <!--quoteo(post=1713522:date=Jun 22 2009, 06:04 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Jun 22 2009, 06:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's kinda sad that there aren't any online games we all really play other than TF2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's pretty good, actually, because it means there are lots of options. I remember back when BF2 seemed like the only game in town. BF2 was awesome, sure, but it's nice to have choices.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1713536:date=Jun 22 2009, 08:14 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jun 22 2009, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's pretty good, actually, because it means there are lots of options. I remember back when BF2 seemed like the only game in town. BF2 was awesome, sure, but it's nice to have choices.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd prefer if there were more games that were as good as TF2 / had as wide an appeal.
    Wide appeal is fine, sure, but some games can't have wide appeal and are all the better for it. Darkest Hour, Men of War, Project Reality, Armed Assault; these are all things I love that would be ruined if they went the route of making everything instantly accessible like TF2 does.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Except for unlocks.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    ArmA2 NSOT coop! Wohoo! (When it's out)
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    Swat 4: Stetchkov Syndicate
    It's a nice twist from regular fps "shoot everyone you see as fast as you can" -types. Not that you can still go on killing spree rampage if you so wish. The big red zero at the end with the rank of "MENACE" just isn't so appealing after a while.

Killing Floor
    Getting bored of this now though.

RO + Mods
    I still hate some maps and people really good at it, just dying out of nowhere 10 times isn't so much fun. Alas, a good game.

ArmA
    Haven't played for a while but the Domination maps really have good immersion when people take on assigned roles (troop transport, AT, vehicle etc). A mod called ACE (Advanced Combat Environments) really do take it up another notch. You can now be fatally wounded and have to either suicide or wait for some comrade to drag you out of battle and administer drugs and bandages so you can get up. If the wound is especially grim or you have bled for a while your heart will stop and someone with 'epinephrine' will have to speed to your rescue. In most cases you just need morphine though.

TF2
    Because, yeah, still good. Just wish I could have some good fps which is about the only thing limiting me from performing better.

Dark Messiah
    From being totally dead it now has a few servers which are playable (except they are all CTF types), mostly thanks to the UBI pack I guess. Some new "exploits" have really screwed balance and mages are still ridiculously overpowered.

Others not often played: Supcom and WiC.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    NS and CS. KZ jumping for CS to be specific.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1713590:date=Jun 23 2009, 09:53 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jun 23 2009, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dark Messiah
    From being totally dead it now has a few servers which are playable (except they are all CTF types), mostly thanks to the UBI pack I guess. Some new "exploits" have really screwed balance and mages are still ridiculously overpowered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...of Might and Magic? I still have the multiplayer mode installed, but have yet to try it. What is this UBI pack you speak of?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Online:
    NS, TF2, Dystopia, DotA, Empires
    but only when my internet is working properly
    wanted to try some AA3 but the servers never let me into the training missions.

off-line I'm doing Diablo2, Medieval 2 Total War, assorted mods as they come out (A Reckless Disregard for Gravity is pure awesome!!!!)
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I'm waiting for NeoTokyo too, though I don't know why- it doesn't do anything unique which all good mods can lay a claim to.

But everything that is there seems to be done <i>right</i>.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1713644:date=Jun 23 2009, 03:31 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jun 23 2009, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm waiting for NeoTokyo too, though I don't know why- it doesn't do anything unique which all good mods can lay a claim to.

But everything that is there seems to be done <i>right</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, they have useful new player tutorial screens, which is a definite plus.
    ArmA2 looks neat as a hospital bed, but I don't think my current rig will take its heat. I was inches away from dropping 950 bucks on a bunch of crap from newegg this morning. Regained my wits just in time.
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
    i'm still addicted to day of defeat 1.3 :D
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited June 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1713629:date=Jun 23 2009, 03:43 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jun 23 2009, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...of Might and Magic? I still have the multiplayer mode installed, but have yet to try it. What is this UBI pack you speak of?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The very same, I messaged you about it once IIRC. There was some game value pack on steam which I believe were made by Ubisoft, I might be wrong though, judging you questioning it. It contained DM, IL-2 and Beyond Good and Evil I think.

No, I don't know who made those games.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1713773:date=Jun 24 2009, 01:54 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jun 24 2009, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The very same, I messaged you about it once IIRC. There was some game value pack on steam which I believe were made by Ubisoft, I might be wrong though, judging you questioning it. It contained DM, IL-2 and Beyond Good and Evil I think.

No, I don't know who made those games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I got that pack. I also started playing Dark Messsiah and found it similar to Oblivion, but with some unfavourable comparisons. I haven't continued past the first couple levels.
    It only starts really shining when you get some of the rare stuff and plenty of levels (and stealth). Preferably with cheats as the XP gained only allows for one class tree to be maxed out at the end.

MP held/holds up quite nicely though, at least with the campaign mode and not DM/CTF/Arena. The only real problem which I noted is mages being godlike if played properly. Come play and I'll show ya!
    <!--quoteo(post=1713784:date=Jun 24 2009, 02:15 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jun 24 2009, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got that pack. I also started playing Dark Messsiah and found it similar to Oblivion, but with some unfavourable comparisons. I haven't continued past the first couple levels.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The're totally different games. Oblivion is about exploring the world, doing what you want to do, completing quests, and stuff like that. Dark Messiah is about stabbing a dude in the face with a sword, kicking his friend over a cliff, the casting a an ice spell on the ground, causing three people who were running towards you to slip and fall. Then you set them of fire and cut a rope to make a chandelier fall on them. Later, giant spiders.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1713773:date=Jun 24 2009, 07:54 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Jun 24 2009, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1713773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The very same, I messaged you about it once IIRC. There was some game value pack on steam which I believe were made by Ubisoft, I might be wrong though, judging you questioning it. It contained DM, IL-2 and Beyond Good and Evil I think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh, that pack. Thought you were talking about some map-pack or content-pack for DMM&M.

Also, ###### the giant spiders. They JUMP AT YOUR FACE, what do they think they are, headcrabs?
    Does anyone play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars at all?
    <!--quoteo(post=1714146:date=Jun 26 2009, 06:00 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Jun 26 2009, 06:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars at all?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tried the demo, didn't buy.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    That seems to be the eternal refrain. Everyone tried it, nobody bought it. It's almost like the game was ###### or something...