Help with Keybinds

qbertqbert Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67773Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I suck. Help me not suck.</div>OK, so I've been playing tons of NS lately (mostly in preparation for NS2) and while I am accustomed to being "better than average" at most games, I can't stop sucking at NS. Part of me wants to think that since I have only been back playing for a few weeks that I simply don't know the maps well enough, need to play more, and that the players still playing NS are typically the best players that stuck around. However, I still suck and want to suck less.... so I've narrowed down my #1 issue: keybinds.

I hate the "change ability then use" functionality and I think I could vastly improve if I knew a way to change binds so that I could set a key to simply use an ability when pressed. The reload/alien-ability bind is nice and I've tried to get by using the "swap to last ability" bind but I hate it. Is there a way to bind keys to abilities without using scripts (since scripts aren't allowed where I play)?

Any other random general advice to help get over the hump and cure my suck is welcome.

Comments

• 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    Which abilities is this for? Are you talking about leaping+biting, or blinking+swiping? If so, then yes, there is a way. There is a command called +movement which will engage those attacks while held. Bind a key to that. You can do it through console:
    bind mouse2 +movement
    (that would be for right mouse button)

Make sure fast weapon switching is on.

hud_fastswitch "1"

and you most likely want to use slot1 through 5, instead of next / previous inventory item. Some use numbers 1-5, I use various buttons on my mouse (mwheelup to slot1, mwheeldown slot2, mouse3 (mwheel click) to slot3).

Good luck. Also try using different sensitivity settings.
  • Bulletproof_McBainBulletproof_McBain Join Date: 2004-05-18 Member: 28735Members, Constellation
    Wow, I'm absolutely oblivious to all of this! Perhaps that's why I'm still pretty damn crappy on NS even after playing it since 2003. I use the arrow keys to move around, the mouse wheel to change weapons for both species and all my other function keys are located in the punctuation area to the left of the arrow keys (which is something I became accustomed to from Doom, Duke 3D and Dark Forces 2).

So can someone explain these commands to me in total babytalk, I'm absolutely unaware of any commands and the necessary writing structure they require (only the other day, after 6 years on playing, I finally discovered you can turn that annoying cinematic music off at the beginning of a map with a command... after someone told me you could!). I would love to not be fumbling through my mouse wheel when I run out of ammo, only to miss the weapon I want, double click to make it start working etc. Hell it'd be even more amazing to not have to cycle through alien abilities in that way, hence why I just never go fade.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    there are some very simple and worryingly effective tweaks you can make that'll increase your game no end, for the most part I avoided using any of them but I'm an old man now and I just play along :P

1. Make sure you're getting a high frame rate, certain fps give a very significant boost the the rate of fire of weapons, but simply having an fps in the 100 region will help you in most areas.

- net_graph 3 will show fps & ping etc, common problems with fps: vsync isn't force disabled in your gfx options, fps_max is set to a low number

2. lolbhopping, though it is possible to do this using manual jumps the timing (and sometimes what feels like drag :P) is very difficult, however 90% of the ns population seem completely incapable of doing it manually and so resort to something along the lines of:

- a jump script so that the timing on jumps doesn't have to be as accurate, or simply bind mwheelup/down +jump which allows them to wheel jumps and easily time them with bhop.
    - with a sufficiently high fps this will increase your speed by a very high margin, it'll be difficult to resist the temptation to simply bhop straight at people due to the speed boost :P

3. Mouse Acceleration, most people turn this off to allow for a more consistent mouse movement, it is possible to play with it both on or off, but it is probably better in the long run to use it off (though there is some element of personal preference depending on experience)

- go to steam > games > ns- properties > set launch options> then add the line "-noforcemaccel -noforcemspd" (without the quotation marks obv)

4. Rates, is a big taboo world I don't understand nor know much about I simply set my rates how people tell me to so they don't QQ as much :P

- there are loads of guides for this, as with most of the other stuff. <a href="http://ensl.zanith.nl" target="_blank">http://ensl.zanith.nl</a> the european natural selection league's homepage has guides on pretty much everything.
  • flying_mooseflying_moose Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67676Members, Constellation
    Most places that claim to ban scripts, only ban the 'wait' command, as it's required for more complex scripts (auto-fire pistal, bunnyhop, etc)
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715306:date=Jul 2 2009, 04:46 PM:name=ZiGGY)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZiGGY @ Jul 2 2009, 04:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4. Rates, is a big taboo world I don't understand nor know much about I simply set my rates how people tell me to so they don't QQ as much :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your rates should be set according to your fps, far too many people are setting too high an updaterate to complain when they don't kill you.

cl_updaterate idealy = average fps/2

cl_cmdrate idealy = average fps+5

anything else and your just being plain silly.

I've heard recently that the rate command itself is set by registry now, and changing it in game won't make a difference.

But I understand what ziggy means here, everyone seems to think that you should set it as they want it set, and thats 101 101 or bust.

It is highly to almost completely unlikely that you can use settings that will affect someone elses ability to hit you.

I've set mine to many different settings and will get instagibbed with all of them, but most of them affect what I perceive to be hits I've made.

Sigh, too many people simply refuse to believe they could ever miss a shot!
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    those 4 things will make a lot of people see significant improvement in their game though, which is kinda sad
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715312:date=Jul 2 2009, 09:35 AM:name=DarkFrost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkFrost @ Jul 2 2009, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->cl_updaterate idealy = average fps/2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What line of reasoning has led you to this conclusion?
  • asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1712496:date=Jun 16 2009, 11:57 AM:name=qbert)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (qbert @ Jun 16 2009, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK, so I've been playing tons of NS lately (mostly in preparation for NS2) and while I am accustomed to being "better than average" at most games, I can't stop sucking at NS. Part of me wants to think that since I have only been back playing for a few weeks that I simply don't know the maps well enough, need to play more, and that the players still playing NS are typically the best players that stuck around. However, I still suck and want to suck less.... so I've narrowed down my #1 issue: keybinds.

I hate the "change ability then use" functionality and I think I could vastly improve if I knew a way to change binds so that I could set a key to simply use an ability when pressed. The reload/alien-ability bind is nice and I've tried to get by using the "swap to last ability" bind but I hate it. Is there a way to bind keys to abilities without using scripts (since scripts aren't allowed where I play)?

Any other random general advice to help get over the hump and cure my suck is welcome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS has a very high learning curve, which is probably part of your problem. There's also a huge skill gap in the players that are left. Even the players that are terrible are probably way better than you. On top of that, it just takes a long time to get used to the game. A huge part of NS is movement and situational awareness. If you're not used to air control, since most games don't have much (aside from TFC) then you're at yet another disadvantage. The situational awareness will require knowledge of the map and knowledge of how games unfold. Maybe by the time NS2 is released you'll get to mediocre skill.

Is there are particular team/class you've having issues with? There's lots of guides to the different classes.

A quick summary is the following:

1) Skulk -- try to ambush and bait with a teammate, kill resource towers to slow marines' tech
    2) Gorge -- build, heal teammates/structures, stay away from marnies. You can spit at them from a distance for distraction
    3) Lerk -- Generally harass marines. Hide in vents and spore them with the green gas. Just be a distraction by taking/dodging bullets so skulks can kill. If a marine is by himself reloading, go for the kill. Always reheal before you see another marine
    4) Fade -- Blink, swipe once or twice, leave, repeat. Do not try to get kills, try to be annoying and only swipe once or twice. The kills just come by playing cautious and staying alive
    5) Onos -- does double damage to structures, aside from that it's pretty worthless in most cases in newer versions of NS
    6) Marine -- Point and click on skulks, learn movement and dodging. Learn maps and where aliens come from. Check ambush spots. If comm tells you what to do, listen. If there's a structure nearby either be building it or covering the person who is. Don't run off by yourself, you're not a pro.

EDIT: I guess I should have included some keybinds.. Part of it may just be your settings. Jack up your brightness and gamma. It helps to see skulks.

bind mouse2 +movement
    bind mwheelup +jump
    bind mwheeldown + jump
    brightness 9001
    gamma 42
    developer 1 (need to reset this every time you load NS or put it in your launch options or put it in your config)
    fps_max 111
    cl_cmdrate 116
    cl_updaterate 55
    ex_interp 0.05 (or the lowest value you can aim with)
    cl_musicenable 0

Then go install the nine legends pack. It will get rid of some of those annoying ambient sounds and make your HUD easier to read and take up less space. It's allowed in competitive play and passes mp_consistency checking. <a href="http://www.ninelegends.com/content/view/57/1/" target="_blank">http://www.ninelegends.com/content/view/57/1/</a>

After that you can start learning how to bunny hop, wiggle walk, wall strafe, double jump, make use of knock back, dodging techniques, and other 'advanced' manauevers.

Also on marines it REALLY helps to have keys bound to the different requests like med/ammo/order. This allows the commander to immediately know what you need and where you're at. If you just say over the mic "I need ammo" you'll likely never get it unless you steal it from someone who actually requested it. Here's what I use, but I realize it's very much personal preference.

alias weld "impulse 14;say_team -[ weld me ]-"
    alias med "impulse 10;say_team -[ med me ]-"
    alias ammo "impulse 11;say_team -[ need ammo 2 shot ######liens ]-"
    alias order "impulse 80;say_team -[ RT / PG / Scan ]-"

bind f weld
    bind g med
    bind h ammo
    bind j order
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715433:date=Jul 3 2009, 07:19 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 3 2009, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715433"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What line of reasoning has led you to this conclusion?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its been about a decade since valve forced this netcode onto us, and where there were no problems before, there were now. Naturaly those of us who cared, learned how to fix these silly things.

A better fix was:

cl_lb 0
    cl_lc 0
    cl_lw 0
    cl_nopred 1

But apparently those commands are gone now.

Basically to prevent loss and choke, a cmdrate of your average fps + 5 was found to be a good setting and an updaterate of half your average fps was found to be a good setting.

This isn't taking the fact that servers maxupdaterate will probably not be 100.

It was only reasonably recently that people began yelling about maxing everything, because "at this lan we were at, these were the settings we used!" or whatever.

Settings that work well on 100mb/100mb connecting to top of the line servers, don't work quite as well on home connection connecting to everyday servers.

I fully accept that there will be people out there who those settings will work for. But for the most suitable settings for I'd think the majority of everyone, is not that high.

Better having bandwidth to spare, than having it teetering on the brim.

- Man I really need to proofread these before clicking submit ><
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715487:date=Jul 3 2009, 05:24 AM:name=DarkFrost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkFrost @ Jul 3 2009, 05:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and an updaterate of half your average fps was found to be a good setting.

This isn't taking the fact that servers maxupdaterate will probably not be 100.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So it was just found empirically, through experimentation?

I've tried many different settings for cl_updaterate, and to be honest, I don't notice much of a difference when it's above 30. The actual amount of updates you receive is mostly limited by the server, assuming your connection is decent and your cl_updaterate setting isn't under the maximum, so ideally, you'd have it set at the maximum the server can provide.
  • 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1715487:date=Jul 3 2009, 09:24 AM:name=DarkFrost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkFrost @ Jul 3 2009, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A better fix was:

cl_lb 0
    cl_lc 0
    cl_lw 0
    cl_nopred 1

But apparently those commands are gone now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I think they're still there; at least lc and lw. I don't have NS installed right now (borrowing a computer, my own broken) so I can't test it, but I'm pretty sure if you set both of those to 1 then you get a slightly different view of the world. When skulking, you feel like you're further out of the mouth of the skulk than before. Try it out.
  • IcyScytheIcyScythe Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34126Members
    I'm having issues bunny hopping especially.

Reading this guide:

<a href="http://ensl.zanith.nl/index.php?view=articles/bhop" target="_blank">http://ensl.zanith.nl/index.php?view=articles/bhop</a>

I just don't really understand how the ###### you can hit 500 units.

Can someone maybe make a short youtube guide showing exactly how to do it?

I'm especially confused cause the guide says not to use the forward key!!?? How am I supposed to move forward then??

Very confused.

I'm using the mousewheel approach and try to jump along rolling the wheel as many times as possible while moving forward and my speed stays at 290.

I really feel I'm at a huge disadvantage atm as skulk in comparison to other players cause I don't know how to do this.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    bunny hopping takes advantage of some screwy air physics in the hl engine.

You do not touch forward at all.

Quick google gives me the best guide I have ever seen:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=10649&view=findpost&p=472955" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....st&p=472955</a>
  • Bulletproof_McBainBulletproof_McBain Join Date: 2004-05-18 Member: 28735Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1712733:date=Jun 17 2009, 11:05 PM:name=2_of_Eight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2_of_Eight @ Jun 17 2009, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which abilities is this for? Are you talking about leaping+biting, or blinking+swiping? If so, then yes, there is a way. There is a command called +movement which will engage those attacks while held. Bind a key to that. You can do it through console:
    bind mouse2 +movement
    (that would be for right mouse button)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really understanding that part, can you elaborate at all?

<!--quoteo(post=1712733:date=Jun 17 2009, 11:05 PM:name=2_of_Eight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2_of_Eight @ Jun 17 2009, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make sure fast weapon switching is on.

hud_fastswitch "1"

and you most likely want to use slot1 through 5, instead of next / previous inventory item. Some use numbers 1-5, I use various buttons on my mouse (mwheelup to slot1, mwheeldown slot2, mouse3 (mwheel click) to slot3).

Good luck. Also try using different sensitivity settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This above totally turned around my game! Thanks so much for this. I've got a gaming mouse with like 5 buttons and put all the weapons on the different buttons and mouse wheel up & down, combined with the fastswitch. Before-hand I'd had everything on just the mousewheel as a cycle and so many times I'd just scroll past what I wanted in the heat of battle. And without the fastswitch, I could never understand how things like leaping and biting or blinking and swiping could be utilised together, by the time I'd gone from weapon to the next with a subsquent click to activate, I was dead.

I tried fiddling around with the bunnyhopping thing and couldn't get to grips with it at all, I've just stuck to manual jumping.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Bhopping is not about manual vs scripted jumping. It is about taking advantage of the screwy physics of the hl engine. It takes advantage of the fact that you can speed up in the air by moving in a direction slightly different then where you are looking, AND that you can remove the slow down of ground friction by jumping right when you land.

+movement is effectively a button that will switch to leap/blink and use it until you release the button, and then switch back to your last used weapon, all automagically.

Basically, bind +movement to a key (default to r), and then press and hold it to use leap/blink. When you release it you can go right back to bite/swipe via your +attack key.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1717467:date=Jul 15 2009, 07:40 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Jul 15 2009, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bhopping is not about manual vs scripted jumping. It is about taking advantage of the screwy physics of the hl engine. It takes advantage of the fact that you can speed up in the air by moving in a direction slightly different then where you are looking, AND that you can remove the slow down of ground friction by jumping right when you land.

+movement is effectively a button that will switch to leap/blink and use it until you release the button, and then switch back to your last used weapon, all automagically.

Basically, bind +movement to a key (default to r), and then press and hold it to use leap/blink. When you release it you can go right back to bite/swipe via your +attack key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, right forgive me for being absolutely tinfoil-chewingly retarded regarding these commands.

Now, I use the arrow keys to move around (there's no changing that, I'm too set in my ways to use W, A, S and D), and I'm fine with that part. So, if I wanted to use the 0/ins button on the bottom left of the number keypad of the keyboard for this combo leap/blink button, what do I need to type in exactly?
    ok, open up the console via the grave key (button next to 1), then type in:

bind kp_ins +movement
    <!--quoteo(post=1717496:date=Jul 15 2009, 10:35 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Jul 15 2009, 10:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok, open up the console via the grave key (button next to 1), then type in:

bind kp_ins +movement<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Many thanks. I'm off to play it now... will see how I get on!
  • asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717508:date=Jul 15 2009, 07:31 PM:name=Bulletproof_McBain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bulletproof_McBain @ Jul 15 2009, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Many thanks. I'm off to play it now... will see how I get on!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I strongly recommend using mouse2 (right click) for +movement.
    <!--quoteo(post=1717496:date=Jul 15 2009, 10:35 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Jul 15 2009, 10:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok, open up the console via the grave key (button next to 1), then type in:

bind kp_ins +movement<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow. Just wow, thanks so much, I can't believe the difference! After 6 years of playing and always avoiding becoming a Fade, I might even start trying! That was amazing, thanks so much.

<!--quoteo(post=1717539:date=Jul 16 2009, 02:12 AM:name=asmodee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asmodee @ Jul 16 2009, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I strongly recommend using mouse2 (right click) for +movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I use my 2nd mouse button for jump, which I'm too used to I'm afraid. After rerouting all the weapon slots to my various game buttons on the mouse, I'm already a bit clumsy on it since I'm not used to the layout after so many years of playing it differently... I think changing my jump button will just completely screw me up! But thanks for the advice all the same.
    <!--quoteo(post=1717599:date=Jul 16 2009, 07:35 AM:name=Bulletproof_McBain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bulletproof_McBain @ Jul 16 2009, 07:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow. Just wow, thanks so much, I can't believe the difference! After 6 years of playing and always avoiding becoming a Fade, I might even start trying! That was amazing, thanks so much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No problem. You might want to google about a bit and learn a bit of how scripting works in HL. There are lots of nice simple little tweaks.

<!--quoteo(post=1717539:date=Jul 15 2009, 10:12 PM:name=asmodee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asmodee @ Jul 15 2009, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I strongly recommend using mouse2 (right click) for +movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, seeing how as he uses the numpad for moving, using 0 for +movements works great. I am like him and use rmb primarily for jumping, it is a staple from older games where 2nd fire would be bound someplace else (if it existed), and RMB was jump (in fact, iirc, HL defaults to this). Just because you find something works well doesn't mean that every one should do it, especially with keybinds. Every so often there are cases where a specific keybind will help anyone quite a bit (making good use of meta keys to get over maximum number of keystrokes, mouse wheel for anything you need to do quickly, etc), but aside from that, the entire point is binding them up so that YOU can use em efficiently.
  • tekproxytekproxy Join Date: 2005-03-11 Member: 44813Members, Constellation
    There are a few guides to all this stuff around the forums. *wink wink*

There have been some really good tips mentioned so far, and all I have to add other than the guide is <b>you must play against players as good or better than you to get better</b>. Join NSPickup on steam if someone hasn't already mentioned it and participate in the pugs, if they're still happening. If you play on pub servers only, you will become a pub star only.