Balancing Motion Tracking for Marines.

2»

Comments

• JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited July 2009
    Short Version (TL;DR on these forums? =| Really?):

- Enemy on Dynamic Infestation, MT disabled.

- Enemy not on DI but not in range of Observatory, MT with PROs and CONs.

- Enemy in range of OBS, MT with instant tracking (no CONs).

(Does that explain all possibilities better and easier?)
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?! Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716467:date=Jul 8 2009, 09:04 PM:name=Arx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arx @ Jul 8 2009, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Integrate MT into the observatory alone. The OBS would have a range and anything in that range would show up just like it does now but only within that range. Think of it as a spotlight in areas of the map. Once it's built all marines can see everything in its range from the map and in normal view and by limiting it to a structure aliens can affect where the MT affects. A single alien can also run ahead of a large group outside its range to destroy it and hide their numbers for a rush.

Essentially just turn it into a marine sensory chamber.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...in other words, remove MT completely. Do you even play NS?
  • ArxArx Join Date: 2008-01-28 Member: 63516Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716637:date=Jul 9 2009, 04:29 PM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 9 2009, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...in other words, remove MT completely. Do you even play NS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ya know there is no limit to the amount of OBS you can build. Just build one in every area you want MT. it still allows Marines to use MT but also gives the aliens a chance to affect it as well. That way the alien team can't complain that their is nothing they can do against the "legal walhack."

And yes I play NS. If your worried that it's too easy for the aliens to just run in and kill it then only build it in places you fortify. ya know, strategy.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    You are missing the point on so many levels that I'm honestly aghast.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716643:date=Jul 9 2009, 04:51 PM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 9 2009, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are missing the point on so many levels that I'm honestly aghast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

-----> <b>See Post #31 (Jimyd) for updated revision.</b> <-----

Yes please. Thank you if you do. But don't let that deter anyone to post new ideas and takes on how it should work. I am open to all the ideas that are suggested (and I consider them). I am a very neutral person you can say.
  • ZammaZamma Join Date: 2004-05-04 Member: 28458Members, Constellation
    Motion Tracking is balanced as it is. It's meant to be so overpowering for a few reasons.

If you rush it you will be crippled in upgrades, and so aliens can over power you.
    If you get it too late, aliens will have higher lifeforms, and it will be null.

Mt is more of an end-game clutcher so marines don't lose to baserushes and so the marines can hold nodes and keep the aliens on lockdown.
    I can't see anything bad about it. Mt takes a while to research and costs a fair bit. By the stage of use, aliens generally will be able to deal with it, and if they can't deal with it, then it just ends the innevitable faster.

I've never seen a problem with it in NS.

However NS2 is a completely different game, and so I wouldn't suggest anything till we see what it's like.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716643:date=Jul 9 2009, 04:51 PM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 9 2009, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are missing the point on so many levels that I'm honestly aghast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If your so "aghast" then please enlighten me instead of giving me insulting answers like an arrogant jerk.

If i'm not mistaken Jimyd's idea sounds almost just like my idea:
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Jimyd )--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Observatory would give permanent MT on the Marine's HUD and Map while the enemy is in range of the OBS, regardless of where the Marine is currently<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716654:date=Jul 9 2009, 06:33 PM:name=Arx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arx @ Jul 9 2009, 06:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If your so "aghast" then please enlighten me instead of giving me insulting answers like an arrogant jerk.

If i'm not mistaken Jimyd's idea sounds almost just like my idea:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, let's see. You basically proposed "integrating" MT into Observatories such that they track movement within a certain radius. Except that Observatories already have this ability, so you're not so much "integrating" MT as much as removing it completely. Which led me to my question of whether you play NS at all, because it seemed like you thought this was actually a novel idea. Then you make this nonsensical reply about how this is a great idea because Marines can just build them wherever they want, ignoring the fact that Observatories cost resources and you can only really build structures in areas you have a foothold in, which makes it useless for Marines on the move. The funniest part is that you say all of this as though it's a new idea, when everybody else has figured this out years ago.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716662:date=Jul 9 2009, 09:02 PM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 9 2009, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, let's see. You basically proposed "integrating" MT into Observatories such that they track movement within a certain radius. Except that Observatories already have this ability, so you're not so much "integrating" MT as much as removing it completely. Which led me to my question of whether you play NS at all, because it seemed like you thought this was actually a novel idea. Then you make this nonsensical reply about how this is a great idea because Marines can just build them wherever they want, ignoring the fact that Observatories cost resources and you can only really build structures in areas you have a foothold in, which makes it useless for Marines on the move. The funniest part is that you say all of this as though it's a new idea, when everybody else has figured this out years ago.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There now that wasn't so hard was it? Next time you can leave the attitude. I was aware that the OBS revealed cloakers but I did not notice that they also show the location of aliens in normal view and in the minimap without having MT first researched. So thank you for explaining that, I am a casual player who works for a living and I don't always notice everything. However If you are unable to make a civil and mature response then don't bother responding. If you serously get this upset over an idea for a game then get a grip, it's not your life and a game can never justify that kind of attitude. Next time grow up and leave your massive ego at the door. We don't need people like you foaming at the mouth every time someone makes a suggestion that isn't completely informed.
    All I'm going to say is that I imagine if you ran across one of those threads complaining that medspam is too strong, you'd propose the brilliant idea of having the armory dispense health when Marines used it. You failed to do some basic research on what you were suggesting, you deserved to get called out on it. If anybody here is upset, it's not me.
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716813:date=Jul 10 2009, 06:41 PM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 10 2009, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I'm going to say is that I imagine if you ran across one of those threads complaining that medspam is too strong, you'd propose the brilliant idea of having the armory dispense health when Marines used it. You failed to do some basic research on what you were suggesting, you deserved to get called out on it. If anybody here is upset, it's not me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't appreciate your insinuation that I’m some kind of an idiot with that armory bit, that was uncalled for and no nothing like that ever deserved to get "called out on." I'm not aware if it's any easier to see the abilities of the OBS from the command chair or something because I never comm and I have never known about any game guides that describe the complete function of all the structures, but I simply didn't notice it and comparing that to something that is distinctly obvious is just asinine. You seem like an intelligent person from what I've seen of your other posts but responding like you did does not befit you or reflect well on your intelligence. Now you’re a person just like me so I'll treat you with the same dignity and respect that I expect for myself and that you haven't shown me. If I was in your position I would simply correct the person's error politely and respectfully and be done with it because that’s the response that I want for myself. Simply not knowing something which may be obvious to you does not make someone stupid. That person on the other end of the conversation is no better or worse than you. Consider how you would expect to be treated before posting rather than just "reacting." So I thank you for responding more respectfully although I still see you have that attitude. I look forward to reading your suggestions on future topics seeing as how you seem to have a good grasp on the game and its mechanics.

(BTW if someone can direct me to a good definitive guide for the game so I can fill in any blank spots in my knowledge I'd really appriciate it, thanks)
  • valkiuzvalkiuz Join Date: 2009-07-07 Member: 68066Members
    umm how about HT ( Heat tracking)

so basically Aliens have a "heat hud" on the screen

which shows if the aliens keep running for a long time the heat keeps building up which HT can be detected

I just think that this one wont slow down the alien too much

(my ideal Tracking stuff is that it wont slow down the aliens too much and can be avoidable at some points)

Cheers
  • MortosMortos Join Date: 2006-11-28 Member: 58763Members
    Why not an audible motion tracking. A beep noise that lets you know how close aliens are, it can beep faster or louder depending on the closeness, size, or number of the aliens nearby. This warns marines of approaching or hidden aliens, making it a useful tool, but it also not revealing the alien's actual positions, so it doesn't give things away, just lets the marines know when it's safe for them to proceed, or when they should be wary.
  • Lumberjack_WannabeLumberjack_Wannabe Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14404Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716821:date=Jul 11 2009, 01:12 AM:name=Arx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arx @ Jul 11 2009, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716821"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(BTW if someone can direct me to a good definitive guide for the game so I can fill in any blank spots in my knowledge I'd really appriciate it, thanks)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check out the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/wiki/index.php/Main_Page" target="_blank">wiki</a>.

And audible motion tracking would be interesting... maybe also add a directional 'pulse' where enemies are along with it... instead of a circle, just a directional "arrow".
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2009
    what if we copied the game bad company for a second. In that game, as a sniper, you can throw this sensor-ball thing and it tells you where every enemy is within a circle of the ball... you got a bunch of these and you can get more from the ammo boxes... after a while they disappear.

It would be useful sort of like how a flashbang is useful in presant day for stunning enemies before you shoot the ###### out of them.. So we can sort of use them to identify cloaked enemies in a room before entering it.

This is a lot better then constantly bugging the commander to scan a room to find the cloaked SC...
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716813:date=Jul 10 2009, 09:41 PM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Jul 10 2009, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I'm going to say is that I imagine if you ran across one of those threads complaining that medspam is too strong, you'd propose the brilliant idea of having the armory dispense health when Marines used it. You failed to do some basic research on what you were suggesting, you deserved to get called out on it. If anybody here is upset, it's not me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i don't like your attitude. The guy was merely stating his opinion... as i am stating mine.

MT worked fine in NS1, but this is not NS1 we are talking about so we will have to see how the new game plays out.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    I'd like to suggest that "cloaking" become more useful against MT. Right now with MT, cloaking gives you no advantage, so no-one bothers anymore. Even if nothing else changes, I think Cloaking should give the alien an advanage against MT. Something like... the MT shows you an alien is there, but if they have the cloaking upgrade, MT is misleading. Maybe when a cloaked alien stops, MT gets confused and shows the blue hud thing/yellow map dot still moving in that direction... or against cloaked aliens the MT is "scattered" and can't lock on... you know something is there, but not exactly where. Even if MT against cloaked aliens turns off immediately as they stop moving, this would mean cloaking as an upgrade would still be useful to the alien player post-MT.

There are a bunch of good suggestions in this thread... I like the idea of the aliens style motion detector. I think this could be an upgrade (like MT) that is attached to the weapons. When running, the gun is "down" (off the hip), so you can't see the display, but it still makes a sound. If you want to check the display, you have to walk or stop, lifting the gun into view, and you see the display. In effect.... rush down a corridor... "beep beep... BEEP BEEP", you know something is near, to see where exactly, you have to slow down to lift the gun into view and check the display. This works for me because the most use I get from MT is when building, and I want to know when something is coming to pick up my gun ready to dodge and shoot.

Also been some very douchy comments in this thread...