What about cheat protection?

TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
Hi, I probably missed the topic, but what will you do against cheaters in NS2?

Scripts, aimbots, wallhacks, speedhack.

Because if it's full of cheaters like NS1 , it will be terrible.

Any special protection?

(And i know there is a lot of naive people who think this is just skill. But i'm playing NS since 2000, and i saw a LOT in spectator mode, some of them are pretty intelligent, and know how to include "mistakes" in their gameplay to not been seen like a cheeters exept on key moments, but others are fully obvious.)

Comments

• Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Where are all these cheaters you're talking about?
    I've seen like 25 cheaters in 7 years of playing NS.
    Most of them were speedhackers.
    Scripting doesn't qualify as cheating.
    "Wallhackers" are usually just people who know how to use their ears, MT/SOF or simply the minimap.

I agree though, that there needs to be some kind of protection.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I believe they are going to use VAC again just like NS. Tbh, cheating was never a huge problem in all the games I played in NS, although I did see obvious speed hackers/aimbots once and a while, it wasn't a real problem on well admined servers. Also there is a clear distinction between real cheaters (aimbots, speedhacks) and people who used customized scripts. Although. a few advanced scripts are exploitative of engine faults (wigglewalk, some rate scripts), but are not considered cheating in the traditional sense.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(And i know there is a lot of naive people who think this is just skill. But i'm playing NS since 2000, and i saw a LOT in spectator mode, some of them are pretty intelligent, and know how to include "mistakes" in their gameplay to not been seen like a cheeters exept on key moments, but others are fully obvious.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS was released in 2002, but you're right some are very clever at covering their tracks when genuinely using aimbots. But I don't believe it to ever have been a huge problem. I would much prefer VAC over something more intrusive/annoying like punkbuster.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2009
    Your post is so full of prejudices and clear signs that you must be a pretty bad player despite playing since 2000 (lol), which will hopefully result in a quick lock before the flaming gets out of control.
    Since it is your first post, it might even be a bad attempt at trolling with a fake account.

It's too bad though, because the core question about anti cheat measures is valid and interesting.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    edited May 2009
    Well i'm not trolling, but i was just playing on NS and been victim of somes cheaters.

Actually cheats exist, and VAC just sux. Even on NS1.

last month, a "friend" i was used to play with, told me he has been banned only after two month of using cheats. (actually it was a wallhack for him and some lerk scripting).
    he only told me after but that's not the point. Cheats exist, and it works.

I dont want to launch the troll of script = cheat or not, so lets just talk about aimbots and WH.

But i played NSleague at the time, i know how to aim, i never miss a sg shot or not often, and i know how to BH since i was playing TFC league long time ago.
    No, i'm not the best player, but i'm definitively not one of the worst.

And i'm not the kind of person who says someones is cheating just because he beated me 5 times in a row, or because his scores is 25-2.

But sometimes it's just obvious, the comportement, the way he shots you (and i'm not just speaking about accuracy here).
    and they learned to never demonstrate their cheating when someone is in spectate mode.

But even if there weren't any cheat on NS, that's not the point, I just want to know what will be done about NS2 actually, so lets talk about that only.
    NS1 is dead, so i dont care anymore.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    They are "seriously considering" (Max's words from another topic) using Steamworks which may include their anti-cheat system. They can pick and choose which parts to use though, so they may not. In the end, any cheating system can be circumvented sadly, so as long as they have something...
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I've seen maybe 5 absolutely clear cheaters during all the years of NS.

If an inactive comm like me can sometimes snap a 180 sg shot on lerks as soon as they make sound, I don't know how you're going to spot real aimbotters/wallhackers without some really good spectator proof and even then you end up going 1/4 speed trying to spot some inhumanly accurate tracks. Obivious ones clearly lock in after a certain delay, but if it doesn't clearly do a machine-like lock in it's almost impossible to spot one.

I hope UWE is playing a bit attention to the game code so that it isn't too vulnerable, but after that I'd rather see them focus on other things than anti-cheating. I doubt the team has enough of manpower to maintain any kind of effective anti-cheat as long as they're patching NS2 and maybe working on other projects too. If necessary, they'll probably pick VAC or some other program.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    edited May 2009
    isn't one of the response to bring more things server side and not client side? just asking.

And its very difficult to spot a aimbot with sg.
    but with Lmg or hmg it's pretty simple. When there is a lerk who crosses the map, make somes circles and unppredicables movments, and you see that all the 50lmg bullets are going on it and none in the wall, it's obvious.
    When you see that the cheaters auto turn and shot in full face a skulk leaping silently behind, and just before that, you could see that the player was distracted by/looking something else or trying to do something else (by the position of his crosshair).

A reflex shot is pretty simple its why you cant really figure it out with sg.
    But to follow exactly all the unpredictable movment of a lerk/skulk with celerity turning all around you, without missing one shot, and just after the exact amout of bullet to the deat, to continue firing on another skulk leaping around you.

There is always littles irregularity when a humain shot an alien. Even if it aim it right and fire on it, the crosshair moves a little. But when it's an aimbot, the crosshaie is LOCKED UP and perfecly syncrhones with the aliens movments, with the same accelerationn.

well once you know what it looks likes, every cheaters becomes obvious.
  • ChimpZealotChimpZealot The Elite Demo Detective Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10315Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    As a professional Demo Detective, I'd have to say your reasoning is dubious at best.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1706043:date=May 1 2009, 11:48 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ May 1 2009, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi, I probably missed the topic, but what will you do against cheaters in NS2?

Scripts, aimbots, wallhacks, speedhack.

Because if it's full of cheaters like NS1 , it will be terrible.

Any special protection?

(And i know there is a lot of naive people who think this is just skill. But i'm playing NS since 2000, and i saw a LOT in spectator mode, some of them are pretty intelligent, and know how to include "mistakes" in their gameplay to not been seen like a cheeters exept on key moments, but others are fully obvious.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Scripts are not cheats, they are a series of commands that can be executed in one button. NS will be programmed in LUA scripts. My guess is that if you lump scripts in with cheaters then the "cheaters" you spectated are more than likely just better than you, and are probably legit.

Back to the topic of cheating.

Developers can program anti-cheats, cheat programmers program cheats, etc.. etc...

What I would recommend to the developers regarding cheating is to give server admins more rights over the players with regards to player management. I will create a new thread concerning that idea, as this one is not an appropriate thread to post in.