So I broke my computer yet again.

NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
<div class="IPBDescription">(Nothing to do with NTLDR this time)</div>So yeah, here we are again... I promised myself I would never do this but again but here we find ourselves.

The basic problem is that I've roasted my System file apparently since the computer helpfully informs me that Windows XP could not be loaded because the System file is missing or corrupt.

I think the reason this happened is because I had held down the power button to do a forced power-off when the computer was locked up during a shutdown.

However... when I attempted to repair the system file by using the Recovery Console function that came with my Windows XP install disc I got the lovable Blue Screen Of Death, a "Bad Pool Caller" varient this time.

Soooo I booted up a Knoppix Live CD which is what I'm typing this post from now. The good news is that the HDD still works perfectly fine and everything's okay-dokey and all, it's just that the System file has been corrupted.

So far, these things have not worked:

1. Use Last Known Settings that Worked (from the advanced options boot menu) : No change
2. Recovery Console : BSODs when selecting operating system to repair

I read something online that suggested a manual method of re-jiggering the System file by deleting, copying and pasting a variety of System and other /System32 files around to get the disk to a "Pristine Windows XP Install State" which you could then boot from and kind of 'force' a System Restore.

---

So... any ideas? I can give more information if needed. While I *could* make backups of every file on the Hard drive at the moment it would be about 6 hours of burning DVDs, and then another 6 hours to re-install all of my various applications and games and so on. It'll be a pain in the ass too, considering the stupid DRM some of those games have with them. (Mass Effect for example)

Comments

• NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    I should also ask: Does anybody know if I try to use my XP disc to attempt another installation of windows, will it recognize the existing installation and do anything I might want it to do?

Examples of things I don't want it to do would include obliterating everything on the hard drive.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2009
    <strike>If you <b>don't </b>have an OEM Windows XP installation you can do a repair, should be a repair function there (press R) when you boot from it.

<a href="http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html" target="_blank">http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repa...ws-XP-t138.html</a></strike>
    I should have some breakfast >.>

I suspect a bad driver, what happens if you try a safe mode boot?
    If it stops at a certain .sys file you could try renaming that file from knoppix/recovery console.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Can you use the HDD with the broken XP copy as a slave drive then try and access it? If I were in your shoes I'd have assumed the HDD was fried- happened to me before with that XP error.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Back up all your precious data, then reinstall Windows. If done right it won't delete all your old data it will just overwrite your old copy of Windows (Which means you will have to reinstall all your drivers and re-activate). No promises though, so backup the important stuff first.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Yeah it was hell on earth, every thing I tried and every direction I turned resulted in roadblock after roadblock. roadblock. Blue screens here and Dirty NTFS partitions there! After a truly stupendous effort I was able to trick my Linux Live CD recovery disc into first accessing my internal hard drive and then rejiggering an external hard drive to FINALLY be able to offer Write access.

An overnight transfer later, my files are safely cocooned within the protective plastic of my external drive. Another 4 hours later the internal hard drive is completely formatted after a violent struggle with a boot CD lacking the most necessary Fdisk command.

Hours later the HDD is Chkdsk'd, formatted to NTFS and a fresh windows XP install is nestled snuggly into the hard drive once again. All that lies before me now is the undesirable task of picking up the pieces of my shattered computing experience. :'(

BUT I DIDN'T LEARN MY LESSON! MWAHAHA

I shall continue to live life dangerously and never back anything up! A FOOL I AM! A FOOOOOOL.