Any NS2 information released yet?

IkarosIkaros Join Date: 2009-03-02 Member: 66606Members
I've searched the website and used google to search for information regarding entity and grid rules for NS2 but I haven't found any, so far I guess it will be like regular source mapping, using the CSS player height as a layout when making ventilation shafts. Since I don't have internet at home as of now, I haven't gotten the chance to tell you I've moved my project to source. And I've moved my project to source since it's easier for me to design my map there, I don't know why. I guess it's because I'm more used with source's func brushes. But!

Has any information been given as to (e.g.) how many units a skulk will be in height; for making ventilation shafts? How many units the Onos will be in width; to make hallways more user friendly for them? How many runtime entities we can use? (Because I guess that will be somewhat limited.)

I have SO many entities I don't even think I can count them all, a lot of env_, func_, info_, and props_ (sprites, transparent brushes, decals, pipes and ropes).

I could ask a friend of mine that works on the sdk for valve about entity rules but, I don't want to bother him all the time. We already spent all last night talking about nodraw (I'm a nodraw freak, every time I make a new brush I make sure that it's in nodraw, then later I add regular textures to all VIS-ible surfaces. To make it more neat and tidy looking from the void, and make it easier to spot gaps, glitches and leaks. I also used to think all textured surfaces would be rendered under compiling and gameplay, and that by using nodraw on these surfaces would help save texture space but I was wrong since bsp.exe makes sure all non-visible surfaces gets "removed" under compiling. Sorry, I'm rambling...)

Thanks again.

- Ikaros

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    First off, there is absolutely no information on this subject right now. Second off, I would highly recommend you do NOT create content in the source engine expecting to be able to port it over. There is no guarantee that the NS2 engine will be at all compatible. Any and all work will likely have to be re-made and re-sized even if you did have the old source sizes.

So until more information is released, all we can really do is wait.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    they claim it will import Source packages. No idea how well.