Sqaud system

GraveGrave Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63285Members
<div class="IPBDescription">they can teleport to anywhere on map??</div>I was just reading the twiter update, saying "Discussed 3D "printing" technology in the NS universe and squad spawning - you can +use the infantry portal to <b>rejoin your squad</b>."

does that mean you use this new feature and teleport to where you squad is? and is that something we want in the game?
it seems like it could be very unbalanced...

Comments

• zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2009
    i don't think that's what is being implied. i took it more as reassigning yourself to your previously assigned squad prior to death. could be a quick way to see where your squad mates have moved off to since your departure.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I would also wait to declare something "unbalancable". If the devs can't get it to work right it won't be in.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Maybe it really is a teleporting system.

Ironically, I believe that +use IP for squad warping was discussed in these forums a while ago. More proof they actually read these things.

Of course, to make sure it's not borken, I'm sure there's some interesting restrictions/requirements. Probably a time delay while you get "printed" since that's what the Twitter seemed to imply.
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    Ya thats the way I understood it... A phasegate with the condition of 2 or more marines near each other. Though I do agree that it does sound somewhat unbalanced... I think people's suggestions are getting mixed with the Devs game implementations...
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1702078:date=Mar 6 2009, 02:19 PM:name=StarClaws)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StarClaws @ Mar 6 2009, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1702078"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think people's suggestions are getting mixed with the Devs game implementations...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What does that actually mean?
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just because it's been suggested in the forums to +use the ip doesn't mean that the devs didn't independently come up with the same idea months before without publicly saying it. We don't know 99% of the NS2 design changes they have in their design doc.

Besides, +using the ip is probably the most logical way to avoid a whole host of automatic squad spawning issues.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Yeah I honestly don't think they take our suggestions into account, at least in a narrow sense. Maybe take a general idea, and do it their way.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Charlie mentioned in the official twitter thread that this is a way to teleport to your squad, but only the last squad you were in, and probably will have some requirements on it, like must be in a safe zone and must have at least 2 marines in that squad still.
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1702243:date=Mar 7 2009, 06:40 PM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(6john @ Mar 7 2009, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1702243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie mentioned in the official twitter thread that this is a way to teleport to your squad, but only the last squad you were in, and probably will have some requirements on it, like must be in a safe zone and must have at least 2 marines in that squad still.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah this better not be an immediate tech... 15v15... Get 5 squads in the hive and you could have marines respawning in the alien hive... Sound like something you would like as aliens? I wonder if it might be limited to non-alien infestation areas. Making alien infestation a much more needed aspect than just cool green stuff moving around. Though I still don't like this infantry portal 'star-trek' stuff... If there's a tech research involved prior (which I hope there is)... I already suggest the nickname of the "Beam me up Scotty" tech.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Probably will require tech + res cost to use.
  • GaussWaffleGaussWaffle Join Date: 2008-02-22 Member: 63708Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1702237:date=Mar 7 2009, 01:39 PM:name=StixNStonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StixNStonz @ Mar 7 2009, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1702237"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just because it's been suggested in the forums to +use the ip doesn't mean that the devs didn't independently come up with the same idea months before without publicly saying it. We don't know 99% of the NS2 design changes they have in their design doc.

Besides, +using the ip is probably the most logical way to avoid a whole host of automatic squad spawning issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just noticed you look like a shaved and slightly younger version of Flayra... ;p

Oh ya, and you're right about the 99% changes, we just like talking about what they could be and hopefully add onto the fun