Natural Selection Won't Download

FlipsterFlipster Join Date: 2009-02-18 Member: 66469Members
Okay so I've played Natural Selection along time ago and I want to download it again. I followed all of the instructions on how to download it and it didn't work. I have Half Life on my steam account but I've been vac banned before. I downloaded the file called Unknown Worlds and it still didn't work. I closed my steam but I don't know how to restart it. I clicked my my games and Natural Selection didn't show up. I have more than one steam account on my comptuer too. Can someone please help me?

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/download" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/download</a>

the name of the file is ns_install_v32.exe

If you are VAC banned then you are SOL.
  • FlipsterFlipster Join Date: 2009-02-18 Member: 66469Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1700801:date=Feb 18 2009, 04:31 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thansal @ Feb 18 2009, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1700801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/download" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/download</a>

If you are VAC banned then you are SOL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What does that mean and did I download the wrong file?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    there is no file called Unknown Worlds. The file name is what I posted. If you didn't download that, try again.

And SOL == ###### out of luck, next time don't try and cheat.
  • FlipsterFlipster Join Date: 2009-02-18 Member: 66469Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1700842:date=Feb 19 2009, 08:45 AM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thansal @ Feb 19 2009, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1700842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there is no file called Unknown Worlds. The file name is what I posted. If you didn't download that, try again.

And SOL == ###### out of luck, next time don't try and cheat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a file called Unknown Worlds it's in the files tab and I couldn't find the file you were talking about....I had to go on google and find it, and even when I downloaded it, it still didn't work. Even if I was vac banned though, it shouldn't matter it should still agleast download into my games section right? Also, I noticed that the file is going into another account and when I tried to put the file into my account name, I couldn't find Half Life to download it into and I have Half Life. What's going on here please help me I really want to play this game SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2009
    This topic seemed close enough.

I have a similar problem, NS not showing up in the my games section that is. I've done everything properly as several times before; the ns file is in my half-life folder and yes, I have restarted steam after installing the game. But it just doesn't show up. What's the problem?

And Flipster, while I couldn't make out what your problem really was (due to incoherent writing) I can tell you that there is no file called Unknown Worlds, it's merely a mirror where you download the Natural Selection installer from. No matter which link you click in the Files section you'll end up with the same installer.
  • commofdoomcommofdoom Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58205Members
    edited March 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1702123:date=Mar 6 2009, 04:26 PM:name=Therius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Therius @ Mar 6 2009, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1702123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This topic seemed close enough.

I have a similar problem, NS not showing up in the my games section that is. I've done everything properly as several times before; the ns file is in my half-life folder and yes, I have restarted steam after installing the game. But it just doesn't show up. What's the problem?

And Flipster, while I couldn't make out what your problem really was (due to incoherent writing) I can tell you that there is no file called Unknown Worlds, it's merely a mirror where you download the Natural Selection installer from. No matter which link you click in the Files section you'll end up with the same installer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

launching half life with the launch options
    -mod ns
    should work
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--QuoteBegin-commofdoom+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(commofdoom)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->launching half life with the launch options
    -mod ns
    should work<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did not work, launches normal Half-Life instead.
    probably have NS in the wrong directory.

What does your directory structure look like up to "\ns\"?

should be like:

<stuff>\steam\steamapps\<your steam login>\half-life\ns\
    I've checked that already, and it's correct. And yes, I have reinstalled ns, multiple times to be exact.
  • MasterPTGMasterPTG Join Date: 2006-11-30 Member: 58780Members
    Dude, they've added NS to the freekin mods that you can DL directly from Steam. Just DL it directly from steam ffs. =D..I do believe that should always work.
    <!--quoteo(post=1702517:date=Mar 11 2009, 01:22 PM:name=MasterPTG)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MasterPTG @ Mar 11 2009, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1702517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dude, they've added NS to the freekin mods that you can DL directly from Steam. Just DL it directly from steam ffs. =D..I do believe that should always work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, They haven't.

And most likely never will.
  • IkarosIkaros Join Date: 2009-03-02 Member: 66606Members
    edited March 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1700801:date=Feb 18 2009, 10:31 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thansal @ Feb 18 2009, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1700801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/download" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/download</a>

If you are VAC banned then you are SOL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm VAC banned for wall, aim, flash, smoke, speed, bunny, rate, and radar hack, but it's the HL2 key. (Pissing off CSS kids is worth 10 bucks. It cost as much as a ticket to the movie theater so I'll most likely do it again). But since it's not related to my HL1 key in any way I can play NS.

You cannot change your key through regedit anymore like you once used to, so... if you've added a HL1 key to your steam account and gotten banned, you cannot add another key to your existing steam account - and therefore have to create a new steam account, buy a new key, and add it to your newly created steam account. I have two steam accounts as of now, and have to switch accounts whenever I want to play HL2 mods or HL1 mods.

Being VAC banned is not the same as being banned from Steam. People that are VAC banned cannot enter servers that has VAC enabled, that's it.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1702123:date=Mar 6 2009, 04:26 PM:name=Therius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Therius @ Mar 6 2009, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1702123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a similar problem, NS not showing up in the my games section that is. I've done everything properly as several times before; the ns file is in my half-life folder and yes, I have restarted steam after installing the game. But it just doesn't show up. What's the problem?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I seem to remember the need to load the Half-Life game at least once like starting up the training course or whatever its called to make sure all the HL files are up to date or something. Not sure if this needs to be done before attempting to install.