mp_blockscripts 1 should not be added.

JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Proper game balancing will solve this.</div>mp_blockscripts 1 for those of you who were unaware from NS1, basically disallowed the use of the wait command and only allowed the alias command for multiple functions.

Here's what you would need to do to the game mechanics in order to not include mp_blockscripts 1. I will list the command then the description.
*+-jump*
Currently in NS1 (and most games) when you press your jumpkey you jump 1 time, and only if you are touching the ground at the moment.
My proposed changed: Change it to Quake style where pressing jump will do the same function as above, but when midair if you pressand hold the jump button again, it will auto-jump for you on the next jump only. So basically, everytime you are mid-air, you have to rehold the jump button to jump again.

This brings out alot of the possible error to newer players, yet doesn't allow someone to "skate" through a vent.
Skate being where _special allowed looping commands and you never had to let go of your jump button.
*+-attack*
*+-attack2*
*+-crouch/duck*
*+-strafe(forward/backward/left/right)*
*+-look/rotate(up/down/left/right)*
*+-walk/speed/sprint*

... all these command and including jump, should only be recognized once in the same command line in a config. I will show an example.

bind "x" "+jump"
Okay.
bind "x" "+jump;+attack"
Okay, but would not be usefull to most, but it doesn't harm anything.
bind "x" "+jump;-jump;+jump;-jump"
Not okay, you have repeated +jump and -jump twice in the same commandline, the result would be the game only recognizes the first time either command was entered into the command line.
bind "x" "+jump" bind "y" "+jump"
Okay, this allows someone to bind the same action to two differnt keys. This can be useful if someone likes to switch across their keyboard for the numberpad for some modified purpose. Or possibly having their walk key on their mouse and keyboard (I.E. leftshift).

One final note I would like to make, allow *+-wait* into the game if you follow all the recomendations above. To summarize how this can happen:
Any command/input that is classified as: movement(strafing/looking/jumping/crouching/walking/etc.)/attacking should be limited to the number of times it can be inputed into a single command line to, 1. I think everything else isn't too game abusive and has their drawbacks when you look at them.

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    So basically you're saying NS2 should block special scripts by default, and scripting should not be a requirement of play even at the highest levels? To prevent this from removing access to some skill moves you want to bascially make the default movement abilities script-"like"?

It seems like NS1 was moving in this direction with +movement. It will be interesting to see if your guesses/suggestions are in the game.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    How would you determine that people are not macroing strings of blacklisted commands?
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1698652:date=Jan 27 2009, 03:44 PM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Jan 27 2009, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1698652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How would you determine that people are not macroing strings of blacklisted commands?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree ideally that abilities/movement should be designed to make scripting impossible/pointless. However, how do you prevent skating down a vent with a macro now?

I don't think this is a new problem, nor a common one.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    I believe, currently, no game developer has found a way to stop macroing completely with these new fancy keyboards.

However, I think the amount of casual/pro gamers using these special keyboards are minimal and would not --->drastically<--- affect everyone.

The only way to solve this (HOWEVER I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS FOR THIS GAME AND MOST GAMES ANYWAYS) would to be to put a timer on certain commands.

I.E. make it so you can only jump every x seconds. A "softer" way game companies do to their games is by having a stanima bar, kinda the same result but limits you in other ways.

Ultimately I think this game should be more focused to the newcomer/newuser/newplayer since NS2 is going to be their first big product as game developers.

The comment about +movement was a good experiment in NS1 and I think will probably carry over.

At the very least they should change jump to how I described, this gives the newplayer and veteran the same advantage in regard skill to movement around the map. However, there will still be the skill of when should I jump? Should I jump-dodge this way? Would jumping give away my position? And etc.