NS2 Modifications

SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
There has been very little information regarding customization of NS2. We know that Lua scripting is going to be extremely robust, but what can we do with it and what features will it have?

I am going to use three terms and examples of modifications that I will reference:

A) Plugins: A simple gameplay modification. For example, a simple script that allows bunny hoping.
B) Mod: A robust modification using NS2 assests or adds very few. Something that adds Combat back into NS2 would be in this catergory.
c) Total Conversions: Completely new gameplay that changes the game drastically and uses a lot of its own assests.

Now onto the questions.

1. How easy or hard will it to be to put a simple plugin into a server? Is each individual facet of NS2 going to have its own file that can be changed? How are they going to managed?
2. How are modifications going to be categorized, accessed and published? We know that there is going to be two lists of servers for NS2, one which will hold “stock” versions of the game and a custom list. Is the custom list going to hold all the modifications including Total Conversions?
3. Authenticity of changes. Assuming that Plugins and Mods are going to be serverside, how are the server operators going be able to be sure that the scripts do what they are advertised for and not introduce exploits into the game or even do malware-like behavior?
4. Is there going to be any way for players to check what changes have been made to the game by the server? A server admin might advertise the server to only have bunny hopping but also buff skulks for no apparent reason or even add cheats.
5. Are the user-made scripts going to be publically readable or have some sort of encryption? This would promote other people to experiment and expand on other people’s code, but could bring up the issue of people claiming other people’s work to be theirs.
6. How much can we actually do with just Lua? Can you create a total conversion just using them? Will it be possible to somehow publish a TC so that you would require a person to install it before playing and have a way to display servers with only the TC running.
7. If not, is there going to be a kit to do so? NS2 seems like it will have be a accessible game rip for user creation, especially since it is a budget title that will have easy entry for people interested in the modifications that the game may have.
8. Following a idea from article 6, is there going to be any way of sorting or filtering custom games in NS2?

Those are all the questions I have right now. I am dipping my toes into game programming and I want to see what options I have for future projects.