mapping!?

NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
<div class="IPBDescription">May have missed it somewher..</div>Anyone know if the mapping is going to be like how you map for HL1 mods/games??

Or just something new, more userfriendly.

What i ask is that i was looking at some old new about NS and saw a mov clip about drawing on some texture in Photoshop and when saved in photoshop the textur is autmaticly saved and viewed right in game, or a similation/3d viewer. (did get that part really yet)

Becus i know nadda about LUA, but i do know some basic mapping for source game, mainly CSSource and DoDSrouce.

Comments

• RideRide Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22511Members
    edited October 2008
    I think this one's easy:

<!--QuoteBegin-Flayra+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flayra)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just fyi though, when Max talks about the "builder", he's not talking about our level editor. He's referring to a system tray application that watches when source files change and automatically converts them to the proper game formats. For instance, if you are painting a wall texture in Photoshop and save it, it would then automatically convert it to our in-game texture format and put it in the proper place in the NS2 directory. If NS2 was running at the time, it would then hot-load the texture so you saw your changes in-game immediately<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to learn a new editor!

Our goal is to build tools that are simple and intuitive enough that you don't need to "learn" them. We try to do this by borrowing user interface conventions from other similar applications and keeping the interface uncluttered. If you've managed to build levels using editors for other games, you probably won't have any difficulty using our editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The above is from the FAQ. There's quite a bit of information floating around about the tool suite Max is creating. I get the impression that they are going to do pretty much the same as any other tool suite out there, only with a lot of sleek Max-ness on the side. (Showing lighting in the editor, loading changed textures, etc.).

Creating the maps themselves will be a lot like creating maps for other games. The process of considering gameplay, building geometry, textures, lighting, and all the other (more or less) enjoyable tasks that goes with it are basically the same for every FPS. (Every FPS I have ever looked into anyway).

I don't think you have to look at Lua code in order to create a map, but Max wrote some news at some point - <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2007/06/a_good_sign" target="_blank">A good sign</a> - about how he made the Lua script engine control certain textures. (To allow stuff like the scoreboard being shown on screens in game). This was well before the engine change though, and I'm not sure it survived.
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    thanks mates,

Now i can take it easy there..