What kind of software server will NS2 be using?

PhlashPhlash Join Date: 2008-02-18 Member: 63674Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Just curious...</div>Hey guys,

I'm wondering what you're planning on writing/using in regards to the software server. The only open-source game server that I can think of that's really good is Project Darkstar, but I was wondering if you guys planned on writing your own. I mean, getting the engine done is a huge part of getting NS2 up and running, and you guys have made great strides there, but NS is a multiplayer online game, so the server is very important as well. Just curious as to what you guys are planning on doing in that regard.

Comments

• ChromeAngelChromeAngel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 14Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Assuming it is cl;ient-server not peer to peer. After recent changes I wouldn´t be surprised if Max pulled something like that out of the bag.
  • PhlashPhlash Join Date: 2008-02-18 Member: 63674Members, Constellation
    What about assuming its client-server and not peer-to-peer?
  • asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    edited October 2008
    I couldn't even find the license info for that game engine.

EDIT: I found it. It's GPLv2 and a commercial license. So while it's open source, it is only open source if your game is open source. If you want to use it in a commercial application, you need a license. Which considering they're making their own game engine, they're probably going to be making their own server and then they can both cut down on licensing fees and make money on licensing the engine in the future.
  • PhlashPhlash Join Date: 2008-02-18 Member: 63674Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1691417:date=Oct 25 2008, 07:02 PM:name=asmodee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(asmodee @ Oct 25 2008, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1691417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I couldn't even find the license info for that game engine.

EDIT: I found it. It's GPLv2 and a commercial license. So while it's open source, it is only open source if your game is open source. If you want to use it in a commercial application, you need a license. Which considering they're making their own game engine, they're probably going to be making their own server and then they can both cut down on licensing fees and make money on licensing the engine in the future.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, it would only be the server portion that needs to be open-source, not the engine since its not derived from Project Darkstar and that it would be distributed separately. Still though, I agree that this is a problem. I just read through the whole GPLv2 to confirm what you said.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Le sigh...
  • ChromeAngelChromeAngel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 14Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Ah I now recall Max saying that they already had a networking scheme they had been testing before they announced the change of engine. Something inspired by the way Q3 handled its networking. You might want to check the forum topic where this was discussed.