Having trouble in school?

GwahirGwahir Join Date: 2002-04-24 Member: 513Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Move to Pittsburgh!</div><a href="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08266/914029-298.stm" target="_blank">Minimum score set to 50 in Pittsburgh schools</a>

Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. There are many ways to reward improvement, but this is basically removing the need to work for a lot of students. It also fails at enforcing the idea of consequences.

Comments

• FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    So, they still fail, but it looks better?
  • GwahirGwahir Join Date: 2002-04-24 Member: 513Members, Constellation
    well, if your min is 50, and you get the occasional passing grade, you pass, even when you should fail.
  • Nil_IQNil_IQ Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15520Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the same time, they said, the 50 percent minimum gives children a chance to catch up and a reason to keep trying. If a student gets a 20 percent in a class for the first marking period, Ms. Pugh said, he or she would need a 100 percent during the second marking period just to squeak through the semester.

"We want to create situations where students can recover and not give up," she said, adding a sense of helplessness can lead to behavior and attendance problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can see the "logic" in play here; they don't want students to end up in a position where its impossible, or really difficult to catch up with their grades should they fall behind. The pretty obvious flaw in this line of thinking is that a student who falls behind in the first place is far less likely to be the kind of student who <i>wants</i> to catch up.

If no-one is allowed to fail then where's the value in success?