How to Improve Bunny Hop

2»

Comments

• RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    edited August 2008
    You're right, my bad.

After reinstalling Warsow to test it, the slowdown that I was referring to doesn't actually come from high velocity, as far as I can tell, it's a function of how wide you have to make your turns, regardless of velocity. Having been away from Quake for years, I selectively remembered the slowdown and attributed it to corners because I had been so conditioned to bunnyhopping that that's the only time I ever noticed it after the months and months of muscle memory.

With that said, I still hold that the nimbleness available through the Half-Life implementation is more enjoyable, in that you can decrease your turn arc at a higher rate relative to your trajectory, giving a greater sense of control over your player model. This is of course, just a minor tweak to a #defined constant.

Again, sorry for the confusion, but regardless, I can't believe you don't notice this. Do you play both engines on a regular basis these days? It's very apparent to me while I'm hopping around in wsw here.

EDIT: Messing around in wsw, it also seems that your 'takeoff' is necessarily slower than in Half-Life, probably due to the same wide turn margin required for acceleration during a hop - resulting in a wider arc with less acceleration per jump, although that's remedied in this instance by the +special feature.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1685585:date=Aug 10 2008, 03:23 AM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Aug 10 2008, 03:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1685585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're right, my bad.

After reinstalling Warsow to test it, the slowdown that I was referring to doesn't actually come from high velocity, as far as I can tell, it's a function of how wide you have to make your turns, regardless of velocity. Having been away from Quake for years, I selectively remembered the slowdown and attributed it to corners because I had been so conditioned to bunnyhopping that that's the only time I ever noticed it after the months and months of muscle memory.

With that said, I still hold that the nimbleness available through the Half-Life implementation is more enjoyable, in that you can decrease your turn arc at a higher rate relative to your trajectory, giving a greater sense of control over your player model. This is of course, just a minor tweak to a #defined constant.

Again, sorry for the confusion, but regardless, I can't believe you don't notice this. Do you play both engines on a regular basis these days? It's very apparent to me while I'm hopping around in wsw here.

EDIT: Messing around in wsw, it also seems that your 'takeoff' is necessarily slower than in Half-Life, probably due to the same wide turn margin required for acceleration during a hop - resulting in a wider arc with less acceleration per jump, although that's remedied in this instance by the +special feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be honest I haven't played Quake regularly for a few months now but I do understand where you're coming from and now that you mention it I do recognise that the turning arc is tighter in HL. As regards the wider arcs and slower acceleration in Warsow, you gotta remember that you're supposed to gain speed using strafejumps and circlejumps not just by using air control, which was intended literally to just let you control your movement in the air.
    The comparison isn't that noticeable mostly because in Quake you don't use tight arcs all the time like you do in HL to gain speed.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    I still notice it significantly.

Regardless, here's a question- assuming a game were to accept bhop as a part of normal gameplay, what would you gain from moving from half-life (script or macro assisted) to quake style (queued jump) to a "press and hold" mechanic?

Would press-and-hold be more or less carpel-tunnel-inducing, and would you lose any of the gameplay from quake style?
  • seraph787seraph787 Join Date: 2008-02-20 Member: 63700Members
    carpel-tunnel? HA! real men don't get carpel-tunnel
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    edited August 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1685635:date=Aug 11 2008, 04:40 AM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Aug 11 2008, 04:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1685635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->assuming a game were to accept bhop as a part of normal gameplay, what would you gain from moving from half-life (script or macro assisted) to quake style (queued jump) to a "press and hold" mechanic?

Would press-and-hold be more or less carpel-tunnel-inducing, and would you lose any of the gameplay from quake style?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You would remove a significant "barrier-to-entry". The ability of timing your 3jump / mousewheel spam to make sure you jump at the correct time, is an absolutely pointless requisite to learning how to bhop. It would make it easier for new players to learn the skill.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1685688:date=Aug 11 2008, 06:48 PM:name=marks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marks @ Aug 11 2008, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1685688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You would remove a significant "barrier-to-entry". The ability of timing your 3jump / mousewheel spam to make sure you jump at the correct time, is an absolutely pointless requisite to learning how to bhop. It would make it easier for new players to learn the skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Agree entirely. The very fact people bind +jump to the mousewheel to make the timing easier is proof that this area is not skill-based and there is no reason it can't just be simplified to a queued-up jump.