Ask about LAN

miloboymiloboy Join Date: 2008-07-23 Member: 64683Members
Er I just want to play this game in lan with my friend in dormitory

now we can Lan counter strike

but i don't know how to create and join for this game.

can anyone guide me plz ?

thx

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    There's 3 ways.

1) in-game there's the option in the menu to "Create Server" where you attempt to set certain parameters, but it ignores some of them and makes a simple server, running from your machine, that other can join. Be sure to have a password. Overall, it's a quick fix but can be a little shoddy unless you know your way around server commands in the console.

2) using Steam's dedicated server tool, setup a dedicated server on a machine. More stable, more straightforward, and still pretty simple. Try to avoid playing in-game from the same machine. You can run this from within Steam. A fun fact is you can use a Steam account to log into Steam, start the dedicated server tool, and yet log into another machine with the same Steam account and play on the server you just setup. Or just make a new Steam account specifically for running the server.

3) make a command line server. See this guide: <a href="http://www.vadakill.com/nsguides/win32/steam_ns_32.php" target="_blank">http://www.vadakill.com/nsguides/win32/steam_ns_32.php</a> Note that you no longer have to setup a HLDS account to do this. Also, make sure you install/download the server to a folder other than where you first get the "hlds_updatetool" since it tries to make a new hlds_updatetool file, and can't overwrite itself. Run in a console and you're good to go.

I recommend paths 2 or 3. 3 for more stability, better frames, and for a more permanent fix, plus more control. If you don't have spare computers lying around to run a dedicated server on, option 1 is your only hope.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1684297:date=Jul 23 2008, 12:02 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spellman23 @ Jul 23 2008, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1684297"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's 3 ways.

1) in-game there's the option in the menu to "Create Server" where you attempt to set certain parameters, but it ignores some of them and makes a simple server, running from your machine, that other can join. Be sure to have a password. Overall, it's a quick fix but can be a little shoddy unless you know your way around server commands in the console.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A little late on the ball but...
    Make sure if you're making a server using this method that you check the 'Lan Game' (or an option similar to that) checkbox. Otherwise, if you're connected to the internet other players will be able to join your server.