Windows SP3 update

Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
edited July 2008 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Shutting down for no reasons after 5 min ?</div>Lately, my Windows update kept telling there was an SP3 update. I decided to create a restore point and then install it. Strangely enough, it downloaded it and I think it got installed because I did not get any popups at all. But then about 5 min later my PC restarted itself for no reason. At first I thought there had been a power failure at my home and restarted my PC. But it happened again about 5 min later. I figured it is probably the CPU overheating (it is hot here right now). I turned it on again but it restarted down again 5 min later. I decided to boot into my Ubuntu to see if it would do the same. I figured if it was really a heat problem it would do it too in my Ubuntu. But its been like 45 min without problems.

Has anyone got weird system symptoms after installing that MS SP3 update ?

I'm currently searching Microsoft sites for any indications of problems with there patch.

Comments

• Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
    Found something about a <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=230796a7-54d6-4c31-bda3-efd2f7e87a8c&DisplayLang=en" target="_blank">update bug</a> stating it may restart continously.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overview
    Install this update before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 to prevent an issue in which your computer may restart continuously after you upgrade to SP3 on systems with non-Intel processors. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Strange, this didn't happen to me, and I'm not using an Intel CPU either.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    AMD and working fine. Although I have a monster Arctic Cooler on my CPU. =]

I imagine it auto rebooted to finish the patch. They tend to do that, or at least bug you until you do, for all the important patches.
  • FraxinusFraxinus Join Date: 2008-03-02 Member: 63783Members, Constellation
    SP3? Great... Last time i remember trying to install a service pack it borked my computer.
  • Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
    It finally worked but by going through the "Help & Support"+"Windows Update" process (in other words, me going on their side and doing an Express Install type. Only that way did I see an install popup window with progress reports and the likes.

My problem originally came because I was using the automatic update. It told me there was an update but when I told it to go get it, I didn't see any popups and it rebooted 3 times without warnings and without messages before I got fed up and removed it.