NS2 on Linux

Comments

• hasufellhasufell Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178257Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052502:date=Dec 28 2012, 02:56 PM:name=MOOtant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOtant @ Dec 28 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Use Gentoo and steam-overlay, Luke.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is not much point in changing your distro for a piece of software that works on your current one too.

As for the topic: I will buy NS2 once it is released on Linux, not a single day before.
  • gavliggavlig Join Date: 2013-01-15 Member: 179807Members
    I would really love to play it on linux, since i don't have win or mac :) Already bought the game, so hope you guys will make the port.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    edited January 2013
    as long as adobe dosent provide a linux version of its creative suite and lightroom, i am bound to !"§!"§! MS or osx... so it is win7 for me by now..

i would LOVE to switch, but it needs more for me than just ns, but if i switch, god damn i want a ns2 version for tux!

it would be running even faster than on windows!
    <!--quoteo(post=2061044:date=Jan 15 2013, 04:18 PM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jan 15 2013, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->as long as adobe dosent provide a linux version of its creative suite and lightroom<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    did you ask them?
  • DerRiddaDerRidda Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154647Members
    Everybody asked Adobe a million times over, they just won't budge.
    It would be lovely if Unknown Worlds would give us a heads-up soon, though. NS2 has been out for quite some time, the Steam for Linux Beta is open
    and people are making their moves like Double Fine releasing The Cave for Linux as well and Nuclear Dawn is also being ported.
    <!--quoteo(post=2061271:date=Jan 16 2013, 02:42 AM:name=DerRidda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DerRidda @ Jan 16 2013, 02:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everybody asked Adobe a million times over, they just won't budge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I doubt that. People think that other people already asked and miss to really bother them as a costumer who is not satisfied. Unsatisfied cutomers are bad for business.
    They have: <a href="https://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/produce_creative_suite_for_linux" target="_blank">https://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/pr...suite_for_linux</a> And the outcome can be summarized as "Nope."
    This wasn't the first move by the community but Adobe just doesn't care.

If you can be sure of something, it's the fact that Linux users will get all in your face about something they want.
  • Vash63Vash63 Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168045Members
    Really hoping there's some news on this front... I know it's a small team and all but this is a big deal. Windows 8 is Linux's opportunity, and plenty of people are jumping on it. TF2 and FTL alone have greatly increased my Linux time, it's no longer just for coding and web browsing... if anything I'm rarely in Windows anymore, and only for FC3, NS2 and CS:GO. CS:GO is sure to move over soon and I'd love to add NS2 to that list.

Hell, I'd even buy the game again... I bought the game through the web site as soon as it was announced and got a free copy, and then bought a third copy over the Steam sale a few weeks back so it'd be the fourth one for me.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It'd be pretty cool to have a Linux version, getting it ready for Vave's Steambox would also be a good way to get ns2 out to more people.
  • rendezvousrendezvous Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178523Members
    Adding my voice to the mix, I'd love to play on linux, especially being able to pull it down via steam since that's up and running.

I would also love at least having a server version, I run VPS's all over the place and could toss a server up pretty easily, but windows licensing? Naah, not for hobbyist things here, thank you very much.

Good job on everything though, looking forward to getting some support on both client and server eventually!
  • rethurethu Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180378Members
    sorry i dont about linux personally i am using windows
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would love to run a server for NS2, but would want to do this from linux. I would also love to play NS2 natively from linux as a client, as this gives me more flexible options when away from home with my work laptop (mac, but hopefully I'll be able to wangle a linux machine as IMHO and experiences, macs are horribly unreliable and overpriced).

I realise that this would be done at the expense of content and bug fixing, but in my view it's a mostly 1-time up-front piece of work to get NS2 up and running on linux, though obviously there may be updates which require more work as a result of supporting multiple platforms...

Also, I'm fairly convinced that having multiple OS's supported, especially officially through Steam, will help increase the player base. I know a few linux-only fans who would almost certainly love NS2 ;)
  • KanoniermeisterKanoniermeister Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164820Members
    edited January 2013
    +1 for NS 2 for Linux. I'm using Linux Mint Debian Edition.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062299:date=Jan 17 2013, 03:01 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jan 17 2013, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062299"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It'd be pretty cool to have a Linux version, getting it ready for Vave's Steambox would also be a good way to get ns2 out to more people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's really it isn't it. That thing will potentially have a big impact on openGL gaming in general.
  • beaglebeagle Join Date: 2010-12-04 Member: 75469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Linux is becoming more popular for gaming, there are a number of recent developments including Valve's Steambox thing and of course Steam on linux.

From a business perspective it makes a lot of sense to address the largest audience. Mac/Linux versions of Spark and its associated games should be very high on the list for UWE as a company. There are numerous libraries available for what Spark requires.

The sooner you liberate yourself from another businesses decisions the better.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I somehow doubt Mac is a bigger gaming platform than Linux. Linux just lacks a lot of software, and could do with an intuitive installer, like Windows has. Hopefully we'll one day see AAA titles on Linux.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063465:date=Jan 20 2013, 12:22 PM:name=nsguy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nsguy @ Jan 20 2013, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I somehow doubt Mac is a bigger gaming platform than Linux. Linux just lacks a lot of software, and could do with an intuitive installer, like Windows has. Hopefully we'll one day see AAA titles on Linux.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People buy macs all the time, there is absolutely a market for it. Maybe not right now, but in the future there will be mac users who want proper games.

Linux doesn't lack a lot of software, at all. It lacks some *specific* software, but Linux/Unix (and kinda therefore mac os x) has a <i>vast</i> amount of software available.

Just not Photoshop. We can name quite a few specific pieces of commercial software not available for linux, however there are many pieces of commercial software for *nix that aren't available on windows.

... but I digress.

Popular Linux distributions are incredibly easy to install, You should try the latest Ubuntu; Put the usb/dvd in and boot your PC. Super easy, it will even manage the bootloader to dual boot your windows partition! All without any command-line or user knowledge required. Windows stillll doesn't do that.

By making software totally reliant on one operating system when there are as good or better cross-platform alternatives is poor business practice.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2063461:date=Jan 19 2013, 09:17 PM:name=beagle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beagle @ Jan 19 2013, 09:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Linux is becoming more popular for gaming, there are a number of recent developments including Valve's Steambox thing and of course Steam on linux.

From a business perspective it makes a lot of sense to address the largest audience. Mac/Linux versions of Spark and its associated games should be very high on the list for UWE as a company. There are numerous libraries available for what Spark requires.

The sooner you liberate yourself from another businesses decisions the better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Define "more popular," as in how much more popular? Enough to make a port and post release support financially viable for UWE? Probably not. A Linux client port should be on the roadmap but at the moment it should be SUPER LOW priority. If they make it before the Steambox debut they will get some dollars from Valve drones who will eat it up for being a Steambox debut title.

Also, what the hell is that last line? Who's business decisions should UWE be trying to liberate themselves from? Microsoft, because they use DirectX? Nvidia, because they use PhysX? From what you've made clear it's obviously not Valve; they should follow Valve off a cliff apparently.
  • KanoniermeisterKanoniermeister Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164820Members
    edited January 2013
    Well you could contiue the line of thought. If Valve ever goes out of business, it is not hard to release a NS2 package withouth steam.

and I think by "more popular for gaming" he means, you dont have to follow a HUGE HOWTO to sucessfully install a game in linux (Quake, I'm looking at you). Mostly its a .deb or .sh or .bin package with a graphical installer.

TL;DR: Installing games in linux got easier in the last 7 years.
    <!--quoteo(post=2063520:date=Jan 20 2013, 02:23 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Jan 20 2013, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Define "more popular," as in how much more popular? Enough to make a port and post release support financially viable for UWE? Probably not. A Linux client port should be on the roadmap but at the moment it should be SUPER LOW priority. If they make it before the Steambox debut they will get some dollars from Valve drones who will eat it up for being a Steambox debut title.

Also, what the hell is that last line? Who's business decisions should UWE be trying to liberate themselves from? Microsoft, because they use DirectX? Nvidia, because they use PhysX? From what you've made clear it's obviously not Valve; they should follow Valve off a cliff apparently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, specifically, Valve aren't telling anyone what to do. They are making a point of it. Valve are not marching toward a cliff for any one to follow.

When you decide to make a piece of software for one platform you are locking out a portion of the market. Linux, for various reasons, is getting for popular. A company like Valve, who have a pretty fair amount of industry clout, say 'ok, we're going to make our software run on linux, and we're going to give you a 'console' you can run windows or linux on' then surely you have to see the potential for customers there?

For UWE, NS2 surely isn't about the NS franchise wholly? They have said themselves the tools and engine they are working on is designed to give them a platform to develop future titles/ip on. Given this, Surely it would make sense to also move to cross platform libraries to ensure maximum marketability.

The tools are there. It's not re-inventing the wheel for UWE here. There are very rich desktop applications just a few clicks away on any major linux distribution.

And, with all that you probably wind up with macosx compatibility. What's not to like??
  • AllcarsAllcars Join Date: 2009-07-29 Member: 68304Members
    Windows is heading in a direction a lot of people are not very fond of, many of my friends are looking to alternatives to windows, now is the time to start moving show developers that linux is a viable os for games.
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
  • maidenonemaidenone Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182714Members
    NS2 @ Twitter
    "@MaidenOne The linux server is under active development. A linux client will take longer, but is still a goal we want to hit!"
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Once they port NS2 on Mac, it should be easier to bring it to Linux gamers too. OS X and Linux share OpenGL, Unix and many other things.

While we wait you can try to run the game with Crossover, it works much more better than experimenting with Wine, it is optimized for gaming. On NS2 page on Crossover database you ca see tips to get it running.
  • Tom-RTom-R Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178515Members
    I have to say,

Come on UWE, give us a native Linux client!. It's the last reason I'm on Windows!.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    This is overdue, now. I don't care for a redesigned website where I earn badges all the time *mourning user badge earned* port the engine to OpenGL and use the Steam for Linux Valve offers for quite some time now.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    So Valve had a presentation at GDC on porting games to linux. You can check out the slides they used here. Includes some reasons on why Valve has been porting their games and source engine and some problems they've had and how they overcame them.

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gamedev/docs/Porting Source to Linux.pdf
  • tortoiserodenttortoiserodent Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184634Members
    spellman23 wrote: »
    QUOTE(killkrazy @ Jul 13 2008, 11:40 PM) »can't u just use WINE ?

Most mods for Steam don't work on WINE. For example, I believe Dystopia still doesn't work, and NS has been sketchy at best on WINE.

At the other end of the spectrum they could pull a Quake 3 and release the game source code under a license that prohibits commercial use. Let the community make it work for Linux and free up the devs to work on creative game stuff instead of Linux support.

That's one of the things that contributed to the significant success of the idTech engine, and if anything it increased the number of copies sold.
    edited July 2013