Setting up a new server/community

PrankPrank Join Date: 2003-02-09 Member: 13311Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Need some help/suggestions</div>Hey, I am an oldsk00l NS player who started playing this game since 1.0, but quitted 2 years ago.

Now I got a fancy computer which possibly can host a new server (C2Q 6600 2gig mem) and a 1.9mbit upstream connection (16 mbit down)

This is all well in the requirements to launch a server.. And i am willing to do so IF there are people that are willing to play the normal NS on classic NS maps,

NS combat will be banned, just classic maps.

I will need some help to get the community up and decent administrators that are willing to improve the server quality and come with suggestions on how the server should be configured.

I can set up the server myself, I did it before, it should be no trouble at all to keep it running smoothly with at least 20/24 people.

If there are people interested in helping I would like to hear so, The server is located in the Netherlands

Comments

• jonsngjonsng Join Date: 2008-07-09 Member: 64592Members
    hey im new to this but im totally backing u!i bet the NS community will be so happy.i used to play NS BEFORE it moved to steam,after that i stopped as i couldn't install the game for quite sometime,some computer problem,i juz got HL1 again to play NS so i hope there are servers that only plays classic maps,the ones with all aliens making RTS and all marines snatching'em!haha please NS PLEASE!!!!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64467Members
    Well since the fact that there are only like 2, maybe 3 good NS classic servers active another one sounds nice. My only concern is bots. There all well and nice but there are to many bot servers. If you aren't including bots then message me the server name so i can play on it lol (really though I would like to know the name)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Alright, more servers.

Well, I was preparing to dump you tech help on setting it up, but it seems you don't need that.

As far as bots are concerned, you can use them to help bootstrap the server until it reaches critical mass. I believe Jigglypuff's server has the option to add bots until there are 6 or more players.

I would recommend using a Linux distribution instead of the Windows GUI version. Some nice but subtle things to add in might be comm_change color, which is an AMX ModX plugin. There's also a metamod awards plugin which is usually pretty fun as long as people don't play for awards. It just helps who how well people did.... usually.

And for the love of all that is holy make sure you setup rcon and admin settings properly.

I don't have time to admin, and I'm based in west coast USA, but bug me for any tech help setting stuff up. I've had to setup both a Windows and a Linux version and maintain them for weekly LAN parties.