Target Audience

spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
<div class="IPBDescription">discuss</div>Here's a thought.

I've been thinking about who we're trying to sell the game to. Are we targetting high schoolers? College? Young adults with disposable income?

I imagine we're trying to hit as many genres of players as possible, thus giving rise to the easily accessible mentality. In tension with that idea is depth of skill, i.e. a learning curve that is enjoyable to progress along for quite some time. Another element in similar tension is FPS and RTS, two different genres cooperating in a single game, neither side being infringed upon.

The point is, there is a perfect "balance" of these kinds of elements, but where is it? I believe that depends on the primary audience. Younger High Schoolers may want more fraggin' FPS with lots of depth so they can train up and pwn, but the late twenties crowd may want a more strategic element, but something that doesn't take them hours to pick up since they've got other concerns as well.

So, where do you think the ideal target is? Feel free to say target everyone, even grandma, just be prepared then for a game that's very shallow and lots of sparkly lights like Bejeweled. That sucker gets played by everyone.

Comments

• DevilShadeDevilShade Join Date: 2011-10-16 Member: 127571Members
    I have been looking into and doing reports on NS & NS2 for the past 3 months but found a lot uncleared about this game... :/
    In my option, the game is targeted between the range of teenage and mid 30 adults male player.

Teenage > Fun
    During 2002/2003, lots of teenage I know were attracted by its unique gameplay element of FPS and RTS.

Age 20+ > Socializing + Relaxation after work or study
    Some of my 30+ friends said they are not as energetic than they used to be and therefore have to spend their time wisely on other things.

Gender > Male
    About 80% of the players in game I met are males. (could just be me)
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    NS1 fans I guess, since it was massively popular and lead UW to where they are today.