'Building' a new computer. Not very good at it.

HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">A few questions.</div>Hope you guys don't mind, but I've just a few questions about building your own computer. I built one a few years ago using a step-by-step guide. It's time to upgrade, though. I want to throw an 8800 GT into the mix along with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+. I'm keeping my old sound card and (1 gig of) ram.

I'm curious as to what motherboard I would need for that video card and processor. I'm not a computer wizz by any means, so I like to scrounge around and get all the help I can get between reading articles online, books I have here, and asking lots and lots of questions. So if anyone would tell me a motherboard that can 'handle' those items that also has a second video card slot ("SLI ready") for future upgrades I'd appreciate it.

Also, do you think I'll be needing a new power supply? =(

If anyone decides to throw some help out, I'd appreciate it. I'm probably going to be finalizing my order by Friday. Can't wait to play with my new toy. T-T

...maybe I should get Vista too? :\

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Do you already own the 6400? If not, you shouldn't bother with Athlon. Also, SLI is a waste, basically, so I wouldn't worry about getting a mobo that supports it. Also we can't know if you need a new power supply if we don't know how powerful the old one is.
  • WarriorWarrior Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13624Members
    You need to find out what RAM and power supply you have. If you don't have DDR2 memory you will probably need to buy some because mobos with DDR1 support are not easy to find. RAM is so cheap nowadays you will NEED at least 2 Gigs. You also need a power supply that can power the 8800. The 8800GT needs one 6 pin connector so make sure your PSU has the right connector. If your PSU is old you may need to buy one.

None of the new AMD boards support SLI. The only way to get SLI is to use Intel. You may want to look into getting an Intel system unless you already own an AMD chip.

For what mobo you want give a price range and what features you want (overclocking, future proof, etc). I could suggest the most expensive board or the cheapest without knowing what you want.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    few pointers:
    If you go for a multicore CPU you should get a 64bit OS
    SLI is a waste, because a single GPU will outperform multiple GPUs for the same cost.
    If you want SLI to upgrade later you are also usually better off to just buy a new GPU, cause you need a duplicate of the already installed one and those are often very hard to find after 2 years or more.

Add the max wattage of all your hardware, add 10% and use that number as a minimum wattage your PSU should supply
    A very good case can often be used for 10 years before its standards are outdated. So investing up tp 250 euros into a decent case might be worthwhile. ALso remember: The bigger the case the more likely you can use it again.

If you upgrade often *especially the mainboard* get a retail OS. If you do not upgrade your mobo often get an OEM OS.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    I plan on getting 64 bit vista. Uhm. OEM?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1679880:date=May 31 2008, 08:43 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Haze @ May 31 2008, 08:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1679880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I plan on getting 64 bit vista. Uhm. OEM?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    OEM = included in the software pack of a pc in this case, I think. Urban *something* says something along the lines of: "a company that sells another brand under their own brand name in a partnership. Ati/Nvidia cards sold by other big brand names is an example.

I don't see any reason why ya can't use an OEM OS with another motherboard though.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1679907:date=Jun 1 2008, 12:54 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kouji_San @ Jun 1 2008, 12:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1679907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OEM = included in the software pack of a pc in this case, I think. Urban *something* says something along the lines of: "a company that sells another brand under their own brand name in a partnership. Ati/Nvidia cards sold by other big brand names is an example.

I don't see any reason why ya can't use an OEM OS with another motherboard though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cause it will lock you out.
    When you activate an OEM vista or xp the first time, it will be linked to the hardware id of your motherboard. Your only chance to activita that XP on another mobo is to forfeit online activation and deal with microsoft support, explaining that the mobo died, had to be replaced and now you need the OSs link to the old mobo removed.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited June 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1679929:date=Jun 1 2008, 12:45 AM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faskalia @ Jun 1 2008, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1679929"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cause it will lock you out.
    When you activate an OEM vista or xp the first time, it will be linked to the hardware id of your motherboard. Your only chance to activita that XP on another mobo is to forfeit online activation and deal with microsoft support, explaining that the mobo died, had to be replaced and now you need the OSs link to the old mobo removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can't speak to vista but I got xp with my dell and reinstalled it many times on diff mobos.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    I know for a fact Vista will lock you out if it detects significant changes in your machine's hardware, IE, you replacing the motherboard. My friend replaced his mobo and had to talk to the tech support for about ten minutes before everything was straight.