Increasing the brightness in a .bsp

GaidinTSGaidinTS Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19319Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it even possible?</div>A long time ago back in college, I create an NS map that I was fairly proud of. Anyway, I lost the map, and the source for it through several computer crashes and rebuilds, and I just assumed the map was lost to hard drive hell. The other day I did a search for it online for fun, and I found it! It was being hosted by some server who had picked it up (and about a billion other custom maps).

Anyway, there was one thing I always wanted to fix, but never got the chance to, and that was the fact that it was just overall too dark. The lighting style was fine, but everything needs to be cranked up about 50%.

As I said before I don't have the source, and I was wondering if there was any 3rd party tool that I could increase the overall brightness of the level with. I remember there was a gamma adjust entity in NS (not sure if it's still there), which I used, but I'm not sure it's working as it should, which could account for why the map is so dark now.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Comments

• GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    The HL1 engine "bakes" the lightmaps in so you can't change them once the map has been compiled. The entity you are looking for is called an env_gamma, though there is only so much it can do. The round-a-bout way you could fix the problem is to decompile the map and rebuild it so you can change the lights, but depending on the complexity of the map, that can take awhile.