An Untitled Story

RedfordRedford Monorailcatfjord Join Date: 2002-04-28 Member: 528Members, NS1 Playtester
edited April 2008 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Matt strikes again!</div>Ohgodohgodohgod.

Remember jumper?

This game starts sane, but it doesn't stay that way. Lower difficulty levels are almost sane. Higher difficulty levels will bring back nightmarish memories of some of the puzzles in Dim.

In all honesty though, this is probally my favorite game of his so far, because it actually has things like a plot, and health, giving you at least some margin of error (unlike most of his games, which gave no margin of error). Don't like margins of error? Just play on the highest difficulty setting and you too can have instagib spikes.

<a href="http://www.mattmakesgames.com/games/AnUntitledStory.zip" target="_blank">http://www.mattmakesgames.com/games/AnUntitledStory.zip</a>

It's worth noting that this was released several months ago. For those of you who like your jumping puzzles with physics and a cooperative mode which also allows someone to grab your mouse and drop bombs on you, there is also his latest game, <a href="http://www.mattmakesgames.com/games/FLaiL.zip" target="_blank">Flail</a> to try.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Well, what is it? Platformer? Action?
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    It's a platformer like Super Metroid in the sense that there's an open world map you can explore. The visuals and sound are annoying and the double jump is so damn finicky and inconsistent I quit a couple minutes in.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1676362:date=Apr 20 2008, 07:21 PM:name=Liku)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liku @ Apr 20 2008, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1676362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a platformer like Super Metroid in the sense that there's an open world map you can explore. The visuals and sound are annoying and the double jump is so damn finicky and inconsistent I quit a couple minutes in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly I have to agree with that. I got through a little farther than you I bet, but it just didn't have the same good feel of control that jumper had. When I died in jumper, it rarely felt because the keyboard had not responded. Here, well, it was annoying.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1676366:date=Apr 20 2008, 11:24 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Comprox @ Apr 20 2008, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1676366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sadly I have to agree with that. I got through a little farther than you I bet, but it just didn't have the same good feel of control that jumper had. When I died in jumper, it rarely felt because the keyboard had not responded. Here, well, it was annoying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To me it seemed like the hit-boxes of all the objects and such just weren't done very well. In jumper they were really simple (ogmo was just a red box really), but with all the rounded objects in this game it makes it pretty difficult to judge when to jump/not to jump in tight situations.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    I'm playing with a Gamepad instead of the keyboard and have found the controls to be solid. In fact I frequently was frustrated with how Jumper handled input (pretty sure I played that with just a keyboard) and by contrast Untitled Story seems extremely responsive.

This feels like Jumper crossed with Cave Story, which is a very good thing in my book.