What are Your Most Memorable and Fun NS Experiences?

13»

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    mattji104 wrote: »
    This is why I call NS2 boring. It will never instill the kinds of memories in its players that this game did.

You are very wrong there sir. My best gaming memories are of ns2. This game here, is one of the craziest games I have ever had. I still think fondly of that match.

I am not saying ns1 wasn't tons of fun, but ns2 is also tons of fun.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Dat necro tho, well played.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2015
    I'm pretty sure I've shared this before, but back when Reinforced was in internal testing hand grenades were more expensive and MUCH more powerful. Gas grenades were insanely OP (they did structure damage and could literally melt an entire forward base by themselves), but a lot of people questioned whether cluster 'nades were going to be useful at all. Fast forward to a game later that day - we just lost a skirmish around a phase gate and the whole alien team (only five players - we were a little short on people that day) were about to munch the gate. I grabbed a cluster 'nade, hopped through, and tossed it at my feet. Between the explosion and a few bites it promptly blew me up... but also killed the entire enemy team. Much lulz were had on teamspeak.
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've shared this before, but back when Reinforced was in internal testing hand grenades were more expensive and MUCH more powerful. Gas grenades were insanely OP (they did structure damage and could literally melt an entire forward base by themselves), but a lot of people questioned whether cluster 'nades were going to be useful at all. Fast forward to a game later that day - we just lost a skirmish around a phase gate and the whole alien team (only five players - we were a little short on people that day) were about to munch the gate. I grabbed a cluster 'nade, hopped through, and tossed it at my feet. Between the explosion and a few bites it promptly blew me up... but also killed the entire enemy team. Much lulz were had on teamspeak.

Seems like all that internal testing paid off. The implementation has been so perfect I can go weeks of playing the game without ever dying to a hand grenade.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    Narfwak wrote: »

Seems like all that internal testing paid off. The implementation has been so perfect I can go weeks of playing the game without ever dying to a hand grenade.

Frankly, they should just be frag grenades at 1 res a piece. There's 2 kinds of guns. 3 kinds of grenades, what the hell is that
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Technically you could count the GL as a gun AND a grenade :P
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    The GL should just shoot pulse grenades that kill energy and damage structures or something.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Giving my money to two complete strangers based on a YouTube video of infestation then not hearing anything for years until an email showed up for the Alpha test. Shooting those cardboard men I smiled that my investment was well placed. :x
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    YO clan servers circa 2013/14... vibrant times
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow

Miss those days, miss the people too..

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »

Miss those days, miss the people too..
    That is what really makes games in ns2 great. When people complain that ns2 is no fun, I feel they must be playing wrong. They must be playing on the wrong servers with the wrong people. Further than that, what servers I find fun another won't. I may not like wooza's but there obviously is a lot of people who do. I may like the tactical freedom and gamer servers but there are many who don't.
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    edited April 2015
    My most memorable moments in NS2 ( warning : if you not have faith then dont read :D)
    E87BDB1CE91E846E595E583741A6ACF991901AF1

1/Im new , but have played other FPS like cs1.6 , tf2 >> I got some aimming experience about tracking fast moving target ( Scout in Teamfortress2 = Skulk NS2^^)

2/Past the firts Trainning with Bots >> jump in a server

3/ Win the firts round as Marine >> a guy on enemy team keep screaming that im "hacking"

4/Then switch Aliens >> Play as 2 - blade guy ( i dont remember) >> My team win againt and he vote kick me out of that server ( my team vote F2 but his team have more vote) =='

I dont know that is fun or "memorable" like you guys experience , but thats my very first impression about this game
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    edited April 2015
    ^ It's not polite to have such score :P I hope you had at least exo or fade/onos ;)
    and you have high ping on server, that is marked lowPing. Ping is not a weakness, it is a weapon :)) It is pretty impossible to kill 400 ping skulk unless it stops. They had that legitimate reason to kick you...
    Unfortunately cheating is as easy as making a client-side mod and connecting to a server allowing mods (most of them). I learned that pretty recently... now I am using custom crosshairs (it IS cheating too IMHO, but the default ones are soo bad for me :(( )
    krOoze wrote: »
    ^ It's not polite to have such score :P I hope you had at least exo or fade/onos ;)
    and you have high ping on server, that is marked lowPing. Ping is not a weakness, it is a weapon :)) It is pretty impossible to kill 400 ping skulk unless it stops. They had that legitimate reason to kick you...
    Unfortunately cheating is as easy as making a client-side mod and connecting to a server allowing mods (most of them). I learned that pretty recently... now I am using custom crosshairs (it IS cheating too IMHO, but the default ones are soo bad for me :(( )
    I have played a game recently at 400 ping because my isp doing something funny. I felt like I couldn't kill anything. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I was having a heck of a difficult time.
    ^ I have that feeling at 160 ms, but I do get horrible hitreg even at 60, so we shall see after the super-patch. But I also seen high pingers where even the NS2s liberal interpolator gives up and they just teleport around the room.
    edited April 2015
    if you say high ping is "advatage" why not post at least some screenshot of yours ?

im never seen any FPS game where you can excuse "High ping have advantage"

Unless there is cheat ( KQLY Style CSGO ) :P
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Perman12 wrote: »
    if you say high ping is "advatage" why not post at least some screenshot of yours ?

Unless there is cheat ( KQLY Style CSGO ) :P

High ping has obvious advantages and disadvantages. If you are the first to peak around a corner, you will see the enemy player long before he sees you. If you are chasing a player, he will appear much closer to you than you appear to him. If he is chasing you, the opposite will be true. Dodging a high ping player is difficult; you must dodge half a second before you normally would; if you are dodging as a high ping player, the opposite is true. If you have widely varying latency (not necessarily high latency), you will have terrible hit reg, and your jerky stuttering motion will make other players find it difficult to hit you.

It's quite symmetric if each circumstance is as likely. But this is an asymmetric game and each circumstance is not as likely, nor do people complain when the feel benefited, only when they feel disadvantaged.
    The other day some guy running like 2-15 and 5% accuracy complained that the hitreg was really bad. That was memorable and fun.

It is against me. When that "teleporting" skulk happens, I can't shoot it at all. Luckily, that is relatively rare in NS2(don't know if that is purely a cheat...)
    Still high pinger knows his ping and can compensate. Low pinger knows the ping of his opponent too late and can't compensate. Of course who objectively benefits depends solely on how the netcode is implemented.
    But I don't get angry over it - I take it as it is. Who can blame high-pinger for wanting to play the game too...
    krOoze wrote: »

It is against me. When that "teleporting" skulk happens, I can't shoot it at all. Luckily, that is relatively rare in NS2(don't know if that is purely a cheat...)
    Still high pinger knows his ping and can compensate. Low pinger knows the ping of his opponent too late and can't compensate. Of course who objectively benefits depends solely on how the netcode is implemented.
    But I don't get angry over it - I take it as it is. Who can blame high-pinger for wanting to play the game too...

The Russian ... im join their server and allways getting kicked ( after you kill them ofcourse) :D

^ Yea, the Russians get pretty agressive these days. :P