Dynamic infestation - chamber powers

intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Rather than chambers, the further the infestation creeps... the furthe</div>Rather than having defensive, movement and sensory chambers plonked randomly around the map where-ever the gorge feels.

When an alien is close to the dynamic infestation, they should feel the powers. When the level starts, the infestation is only within the starting area and aliens will only feel it close to base but further into the game, the infestation creeps further into the map and aliens will feel this power, almost every part of the map.

Chambers could still be built, perhaps only one at each hive or chambers only at the hive, which is where the infestation starts.
The infestation could consist of 3 colours like 3 veins.
<ul><li> Green colour within the infestation = Defense chamber</li><li> Blue colour within infestation = Movement chamber</li><li> Yellow colour within infestation = Sensory chamber</li></ul>
Quite a few ideas in one post... Wouldn't it be good if infestation dynamically provided support for the entire alien team around the map, creating a sense of aliens always pushing forward.

In reply to someone saying, well if the dynamic infestation is randomly streamed throughout the level, theres no sense of skill or tactics that can be followed... We'll another idea: Aliens control somehow decide where infestation grows from and to.
<ul><li>Infestation starts to grow as aliens move, particles are left in the path of where an alien moves</li><li>Infestation points are built where the alien team would like the infestation to grow to, RTs?, new building?</li><li>Infestation could be random</li></ul>

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1674148:date=Mar 24 2008, 06:35 PM:name=intellix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(intellix @ Mar 24 2008, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1674148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rather than having defensive, movement and sensory chambers plonked randomly around the map where-ever the gorge feels.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Isn't this one of the things the alien commander is for in NS2? It'd be an interesting idea for streamlining chamber placement, but consider this: the best place for kharaa to put buildings are the least obvious. Having that MC in the vent can make all the difference in the world.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    1st post ever =P

but yes, we could use the <i>zerg</i> idea, you can only put chambers on the <i>creep</i>. The chambers can give some of its powers throught the creep but not as effective as being next to the chamber, this saves res, as the farther away, the less of the power u feel. Now the marines can kill the creep by killing the hives, Resnodes, if reimplemented, can make small amounts of creep, BUT they only make a small area, they dont keep growing like the hive. This pushes the humans to kill the hives and res nodes more. The chambers still need to be present to send the effects down the creep, if you dont have the cash, u'll have to deal with the weak effects, this implys stratagy in res conservation.
  • friggestfriggest Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63578Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1674155:date=Mar 24 2008, 05:41 PM:name=ryknow69)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryknow69 @ Mar 24 2008, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1674155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1st post ever =P

but yes, we could use the <i>zerg</i> idea, you can only put chambers on the <i>creep</i>. The chambers can give some of its powers throught the creep but not as effective as being next to the chamber, this saves res, as the farther away, the less of the power u feel. Now the marines can kill the creep by killing the hives, Res nodes, if reimplemented, can make small amounts of creep, BUT they only make a small area, they dont keep growing like the hive. This pushes the humans to kill the hives and res nodes more. The chambers still need to be present to send the effects down the creep, if you don't have the cash, you'll have to deal with the weak effects, this implys strategy in res conservation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do like the idea of this creep for hives and res nodes. but i think you should be able to build structures anywhere.
    So to expand on your idea.

Hives send out infestation to a certain distance. A res node also sends out dynamic ingestion to a certain distance.
    If a hive and res node are with a certain distance to each other, the infestation will connect. the closer and more buildings there are the faster it should creep.

I feel if marines can lock down a corridor aliens should be able to also. Any chambers they build have a small radius of infestation that res nodes and hives try and connect to. so if a hallways is held long enough, the hive and res nodes will connect to it.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    chambers shouldnt make their own creep, but yes, connecting is nice.

IMHO, aliens shouldnt be able to open '<i>switched</i>' or '<i>buttoned</i>' doorways, ones u require to push a switch. the Creep can force the door to stay open if the creep grows over it while open, or force it shut if it was shut, making the creep more useful, and a mighty foe.
    Hives never stop growing, but the more hives you have, faster the map is creeped, resnodes are limited.

new chambers should be added, one chamber creates a slightly small resnode radius creep, to expand building abilities, but yes, i think creep only main building for the SC MC and DC are a must