D.I.P.R.I.P: Awesome HL2 Mod

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
edited March 2008 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Die in pain, rest in peace</div>So if you all haven't heard, <a href="http://www.diprip.com/news.php" target="_blank">DIPRIP</a> has been released, or at least a "demo" has, whatever that means. DIPRIP is a mod where you drive heavily armed and armored cars around destructable environments shooting each other and blowing each other up. It is awesome. <a href="http://www.diprip.com/gallery.php5" target="_blank">The media page</a> has all the pretty pictures but really you should just download it if you like vehicular combat. There are only 4 weapons right now (the missiles have 3 fire moes though) and only 3 cars to choose from and I dunno how many maps there are, but it's really fun. The cars don't control like, well, people, so it gets a little while to get used to their responsiveness, but once you do get used to it it's very awesome. Once you fire a bunch of mortars into a gigantic brawl, then turbo forward through a hail of missiles and bullets, firing your minigun all the while, only to ram some dude to death, you'll be hooked. That or when you hit a fence on accident and realize that it actually breaks instead of stopping you.

edit: the title is actually "Die in pain rest in peace." My bad.

Comments

• JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    Title fixed for ya

I saw this on Steam News but wasn't sure what exactly to make of it when I saw the word "Demo" instead of Beta and phrase "Full Conversion" instead of Mod.

But I'll definitely take a look now.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    So it's like Twisted Metal.... except on Source? Count me in.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    Looks to be really well done so far, and Twisted Metal (Black anyway) is sweet. But man oh man is possible to have a name worse than DIPRIP?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1672608:date=Mar 8 2008, 12:36 PM:name=Liku)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liku @ Mar 8 2008, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1672608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks to be really well done so far, and Twisted Metal (Black anyway) is sweet. But man oh man is possible to have a name worse than DIPRIP?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    CRAPDRIVE
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Just calling it "Cars with guns" would have been better.
    <!--quoteo(post=1672612:date=Mar 8 2008, 01:00 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Mar 8 2008, 01:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1672612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CRAPDRIVE<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd seriously prefer that, because it's pretty hilarious.
    But Counter-Strike already has that name.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I don't know, I have only had bad experiences with vehicle-heavy games so far...
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    "Full conversion" is a phrase from back in the days when most "mods" were just replacing one or two weapons in the standard game, or making all the weapons fire two times as fast and do three times the damage. These were called mods because they generally left the game mostly as it was and just modified a few things.

A "full conversion" was when someone fully converted the game to be a completely different one. This means they usually replaced most of the audiovisual assets and sometimes altered the gameplay substantially. Obviously the distinction between "mod" and "total conversion" was rather blurred, and it was impossible to nail down the except point when a mod became a total conversion.

But there you go, that's what the name means.

I'm more wary of "demo." Does that mean there's only a single map that you'll get bored of quickly ('sup Dystopia)? Or is just a fancier name for beta? Usually, a demo is simply a crippled version of a finished product, intended to whet the appetites of potential customers. There's no reason to make a demo of something you're giving out for free anyway, so this has to be something else.
    They call it "demo" because it's not feature complete. There are at least 4 or 5 maps or something and they seem more or less different to me.

BUTTCLANK
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Appears to be suffering from the same problem Empires did on first release, in that lag is occuring often and it's crippling. I'll keep trying it, cos it could just be people trying to run it on bad machines. If it's not that, then I'll pass for the moment and wait on some patches.
    I joined one server which was lag free and basically played on that one the entire time. Like you said, it's probably just people hosting it on machines that really aren't cut out to be servers. Try the Wolfservers one at 207.154.8.108:27015; it gave me no lag.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    edited March 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1672637:date=Mar 8 2008, 03:29 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ Mar 8 2008, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1672637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Full conversion" is a phrase from back in the days when most "mods" were just replacing one or two weapons in the standard game, or making all the weapons fire two times as fast and do three times the damage. These were called mods because they generally left the game mostly as it was and just modified a few things.

A "full conversion" was when someone fully converted the game to be a completely different one. This means they usually replaced most of the audiovisual assets and sometimes altered the gameplay substantially. Obviously the distinction between "mod" and "total conversion" was rather blurred, and it was impossible to nail down the except point when a mod became a total conversion.

But there you go, that's what the name means.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Yeah in my comment my thought was to imply I hadn't heard the term "total conversion" used in about 10 years. And that I found it odd they decided to use it now, since Mod has been Valve's term of choice from the beginning. However I kept editing my post down to what you see now...

And if I had gotten really ambitious I was gonna find the <a href="http://www.penny-arcade.com/2005/09/23" target="_blank">Penny Arcade Newspost</a> where they discussed term, and mentioned NS by name (again).

But I didn't do any of that, so now it looks like I didn't even know what the term meant. I'm sure there is some delicious irony in there somewhere.
    I'm speaking strictly from memory here, so I could be completely off, but iirc the mistake Empires made was to use the singleplayer physics model for vehicles, which is far too detailed for multiplayer to handle. Considering that this game is vehicle-heavy, it's plausible that they made the exact same mistake.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It's fun, but I will be waiting for the next release to really try it. Like it has been stated, it's just too laggy to play well (yes, I did try a few servers). I saw somewhere they are still using the basic HL2 method of letting the server handle the driving (instead of doing it on the client and sending the updates), but they plan to change it.
    Or maybe that's what Empires did. I'm not sure.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    You're right lolfighter actually. Empires vehicles used the normal singleplayer vehicle code, which raped the servers causing the lag. Empires optimized the code as much as possible, and moved some stuff to client side, stuff like turret movements etc.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    Empires is totally playable now. It also seems to have a bit more depth than this. I got tired of PVK II quickly, so I probably won't be giving this a spin. Doesn't mean it's bad, though.
    Crispy, I don't see what getting tired of PVK II (a 3 way fight between pirates, vikings, and knights) has to do with DIPRIP (a deathmatch between armed and armored cars with weapon and health powerups on destructable terrain).

POOPCAR
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1672697:date=Mar 9 2008, 03:15 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Mar 9 2008, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1672697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crispy, I don't see what getting tired of PVK II (a 3 way fight between pirates, vikings, and knights) has to do with DIPRIP (a deathmatch between armed and armored cars with weapon and health powerups on destructable terrain).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The fact that both are essentially glorified deathmatch extensions, mayhaps? (I'm surprised you're so myopic on that point.)

They both seem pretty shallow and senseless, which is not personally my bag. I'm not saying games have to be deep in gameplay to be worthwhile, but I personally look for a depth of tactics and strategy in multiplayer games. I tend to get quite invested in them, so I generally look for something to invest in, which neither game currently has.
    <!--quoteo(post=1672703:date=Mar 9 2008, 10:56 AM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Crispy @ Mar 9 2008, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1672703"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fact that both are essentially glorified deathmatch extensions, mayhaps? (I'm surprised you're so myopic on that point.)

They both seem pretty shallow and senseless, which is not personally my bag. I'm not saying games have to be deep in gameplay to be worthwhile, but I personally look for a depth of tactics and strategy in multiplayer games. I tend to get quite invested in them, so I generally look for something to invest in, which neither game currently has.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The only similarity between the two is that you kill each other. PVK II is an objective based 3 team combat game and DIPRIP is an everyone for himself vehicular combat deathmatch. I never thought I'd be called "myopic" for not instantly connecting two completely different games because they both involve combat; by your definition, almost every single multiplayer Half-Life 2 mod is a glorified deathmatch extension, with the possible exception of something like Dystopia's cyberspace hacking thing or Garry's Mod.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    <a href="http://retroquake.planetquake.gamespy.com/blog/?p=174" target="_blank">Quake Rally</a> was so very awesome. Anyone remember that?
    edited March 2008
    <!--quoteo(post=1672709:date=Mar 9 2008, 04:53 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Mar 9 2008, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1672709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only similarity between the two is that you kill each other. PVK II is an objective based 3 team combat game and DIPRIP is an everyone for himself vehicular combat deathmatch. I never thought I'd be called "myopic" for not instantly connecting two completely different games because they both involve combat; by your definition, almost every single multiplayer Half-Life 2 mod is a glorified deathmatch extension, with the possible exception of something like Dystopia's cyberspace hacking thing or Garry's Mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Please point me to a server where PVK II is not played as an 'everyone-for-himself, free-for-all'. The objectives in the game are secondary to hack-smacking, crossbow-camping and keg-spamming. Their seemingly sole purpose is to guide players towards a common ground where the spamfest may begin.

I'm sure PVK II could be played as a slightly deeper game, but its art style, comedic sound effects and simplified-######-spamhappy [Oh Jeez, now LATIN is censored!?!??!?!?] combat system are not conducive to that end. If everything about the game's design is leading the player towards the deathmatch-style scenario (players being encouraged to attack anything in sight because dying holds little consequence if a respawn is only seconds away and the time taken to rejoin the battle is minimal) it will be played in that style and it essentially becomes that genre of game.

Online MMORPGs could be approached as deathmatch games if the player chose to smack everything in sight regardless of how high a level they were. The point is their design is more conducive to playing the game as intended. Dying holds consequence both in respawn time and item/experience penalties, attacking much, much, more powerful enemies puts you and your allies at risk.

A game becomes what the player makes of it. It's not always a case of its gameplay following the directions on the back of the pack. Guiding the player towards that goal is down to the design. I call PVK II a "glorified deathmatch extension" because the objective-based gameplay is played down so much and overshadowed by its more immediately edifying, WYSYWG combat dynamic.

P.S. Quake Rally was awesome, even if I never got to play it multiplayer :/
    How many Half-Life 2 mods DO NOT devolve into glorified deathmatch combat?
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    Which you'll notice I already mentioned as just about the only exception.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1672801:date=Mar 10 2008, 02:48 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Mar 10 2008, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1672801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How many Half-Life 2 mods DO NOT devolve into glorified deathmatch combat?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Empires. The Commander mode for obvious reasons, and the infantry combat is a lot deeper than merely spamming people up (the way you customise your class/vehicle, for a start, plus which turrets you drop as an Engy, which side of a vehicle you aim at, etc.).