location text

c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
edited December 2007 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">location text as you enter area if cl_autohelp 1</div>it would be very handy if there was a big text saying "now in.. <i>AREA</i>" as you enter a diff area, on the middle of your screen, if cl_autohelp is 1 . so new players learn and understand faster what people mean by saying CARGO UNDER ATTACK, GO TO ECLIPSE, etc. something like that

Comments

• afratnikovafratnikov Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1664057:date=Dec 15 2007, 12:41 AM:name=c0ke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c0ke @ Dec 15 2007, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1664057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it would be very handy if there was a big text saying "now in.. <i>AREA</i>" as you enter a diff area, on the middle of your screen, if cl_autohelp is 1 . so new players learn and understand faster what people mean by saying CARGO UNDER ATTACK, GO TO ECLIPSE, etc. something like that<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, it would be useful. Studying level map could be enough, but few will take the time to do it. It's amazing how much the inclusion of level maps using "C" has changed NS! First weeks playing NS was like wandering in a maze where little skulks could jump out and kill me at any time - ah those were the times.
    Another idea: light up the name of the area on the map where the waypoint is.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    You can tell what area you are in by looking at one of the bottom corners of the screen in NS1. I don't think you should obscure the middle off the screen but changing the color to something more noticeable while leaving it where it is would help.
  • DominingDomining Join Date: 2007-09-27 Member: 62452Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1664404:date=Dec 17 2007, 09:50 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Dec 17 2007, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1664404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can tell what area you are in by looking at one of the bottom corners of the screen in NS1. I don't think you should obscure the middle off the screen but changing the color to something more noticeable while leaving it where it is would help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I felt that way too until I noticed the cl_autohelp 1 prerequisite.

Serves the newbies right!
  • invader Ziminvader Zim Join Date: 2007-09-20 Member: 62376Members
    this may be a sily question but why doesnt the comm get placenames on his map. the rines get em on their mini map. Its really irritating when some rine asks for somethiing at a location and i cant remeber the location names. there maybe a command line or short button ive never pressed that solves this but i think placenames should be default on the comms map as well as the rines mini map.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1664519:date=Dec 18 2007, 06:08 AM:name=invader Zim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(invader Zim @ Dec 18 2007, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1664519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This may be a silly question, but why doesn't the comm get placenames on his map. The rines get em on their mini map. It's really irritating when some rine asks for something at a location and I cant remember the location names. There maybe a command line or short button I've never pressed that solves this but I think placenames should be default on the comm's map as well as the rine's mini map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    After a while I started to use generic names anyway "get to Top/Bottom/Left/Right/Middle Hive/MS/Cargo/double". If I'm not saying "go to hive" 90% is just
    "Go Here please"
    *places waypoint*

I say the name if I remember it off the top of my head, but playing on pubs most marines don't know all the maps anyway. And if a marine asks me for stuff at a location I don't recognize I tell him to use the request orders button. I usually find him/her before they use the request, but that's what it's there for. It would be nice if it was a quieter request so the marine wasn't giving away his location to everyone within 50 yards.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    just wanted to bring that topic up cause i think it would be very handy and usefull, especially when ns2's new
  • themeatshieldthemeatshield Join Date: 2009-01-13 Member: 66078Members
    I agree with this idea, as long as it can be turned off easily through cl_autohelp.

I also agree that the commander needs place names on his map.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members