Being pretty realistic here

2»

Comments

• StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2007
    lol, had an entire rebuttal made, then hit the back button on my mouse. Will re-do later after class.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited November 2007
    Who play, who played, who will play: Who cares!?:
    A - NS (1) will die someday.
    B - NS2 (or S) will have to succeed (and as devs are hoping : succeed!!).

When it'll come out (if); it'll probably be no more than some little lines on some magazine. Mostly due to the fact, Magazines (M corp) ARE the game market showcase. If you don't have a 'budget' for that, You won't shine like Halo. Guaranted. Yeah yeah; Even in EU we had the 'halo commercial' hammering... That's why i didn't buy it.

Remember HL² 20/20 perfect score?? yeah right ; i have a video of all the "not perfect things" in HL²... Ooops sorry: the things we don't mention in magazines.

The most important thing is the concept. If present; you can do something with NS2 (based upon NS1 mostly, i think). That's why i keep playing NS (the RTS/FPS concept).

Maybee keeping track of the interested people who can spread the word isn't bad.

(Edit 1: spelling + I will post the URL for the HL² video... )
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its a nice Bigger-Picture post there, Uncle.

There's been a lot of stat-throwing in this thread, and its come down to pretty much flamebaiting nonstop. The moderators have already had to step in to hold a few posts from going over the line. Its probably a good thing i lost that last huge post i had.

This whole thread has been rather redundant flamebait from the beginning. It doesnt matter who's daddy can beat who's daddy. NS2 will be its own game, attracting its own type of player from all other games.

I'd suggest locking this topic, or at least after a few more people can have their last words.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2007
    Yeah the game will be good I have no doubt about that. It's just that the player base at the time of release and the years to come MIGHT never reach the desired level. Plus I have no faith in the same developers that cannot bring back a website within a year.

Good game... old engine... inconsistent history of development... and a little bit of halo and xbox live stealing the shine (just to make styx create another 2000 word post flaming me) = lose.

Maybe by sticking around they might add nexus for source if you decide to make it =P
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hello. As i said before. Here is the HL² non exhaustive bug list.

Hitboxes, AI etc...
    The best is the coffe mug.

<a href="http://faust.club.fr/post_forums/ns/hl2_nofrag.avi" target="_blank">Video</a>
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    If given the resources, the community has the ability to spread news of this game much more effectively than the media. It's called <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_mouth" target="_blank">viral advertising</a>. The key is for UWE to produce the fuel for WOM to start - screenshots, a beta, trailers. As it stands right now, it really doesn't matter what Charlie has done in the past. It is just very important for NS2 to be released before the engine becomes obsolete.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-xtcman+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xtcman)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->[Halo] has a LOT more player minutes than CS did its first month.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Halo also had two previous titles in the series to build a sizeable multiplayer fanbase on. Counter-Strike did not. You're making a terrible comparison.

Also, a quasi-fair comparison between Live and Steam would be revenue generated between the two.
  • asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1663513:date=Dec 10 2007, 07:06 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Haze @ Dec 10 2007, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1663513"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, a quasi-fair comparison between Live and Steam would be revenue generated between the two.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That wouldn't be fair at all. Live is a subscription service and therefore generates ongoing revenue from each of its players. Steam is a free service and a store in one. Steam only makes money when players purchase new games, but not any ongoing revenue.

As far as steam goes you can't even really compare number of users total because some people create multiple steam accounts, but I doubt that's the case with Live. I really don't think there is a good way to compare them. Player hours isn't good. The two systems appeal to different gaming audiences, have different styles of games on them, etc.

Point is, UWE is a startup company and as such it just needs one game to become mediocrely popular in order for them to be off to a good start. They've already done that with NS and if they can convert their current NS playerbase into sales they will be off to a great start. Better yet for them, once they are post revenue they will have a MUCH better time with investors for future projects.