LUA scripting and anti cheating

obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
edited October 2007 in NS2 General Discussion
Im not sure if this is possible, or if it would be usefull. Also this would only apply to "custom" NS2 servers. But I was thinking with the Lua coding it wouldnt be too hard for someone to add a little line that says if (playername == "mynamehere") { ammo = 999999; } and or any other cheat they might want. Now people can do this already, and only the server admins would be able to "cheat".

But I was thinking what about the possibility of a feature for downloading the LUA code from the server. Then the person could verifiy if there are any cheats or another things in the server code when or if they want (wouldnt be that hard to do a file diff from the public lua code). The only problem I can see with this is if people stored usernames/passwords in the LUA code (for logging in as an admin or something like that). If there was a way for the Lua code to read from a file somewhere on disk to get the username/passwords this shouldnt be a problem. The only other problem might be if people had some kind of propriatery lua code that they didnt want to share for some reason (cant see this being much of a problem, but you never know).

Could also be usefull in just finding out how it is diffrent (even wtih just normal mods).

Comments

• Termy58Termy58 Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58102Members
    edited October 2007
    <b>Server cheating</b>

Leave the server, end.

<b>Server to client hacking</b>

I believe NS2 will undoubtedly put barriers against viruses unlike it's Garry's Mod 9 counter-part. (all it has to do is not allow file writing and file reading outside of a data folder, no worries) Nothing from the server will be permanent. And saving passwords on a client through any game variable is stupid enough.

<b>Client to server hacking</b>

Lua coding is split between client side and server side, server side can run completely on it's own without help from the client, all that the client can possibly hack is his own stuff. Also I am pretty sure that NS2 will use a system like Script Enforcer (seen on Garry's Mod where the developers received help from) that will stop custom client-side scripts that could do ESP, or an Aimbot easily but also stop stuff that are not hacks (custom huds ext). If there was no script enforcer system, VAC would have no defense on them.
  • obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Server cheating

Leave the server, end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea thats great, if you know the cheating is going on. Can be tricky to tell though (might only happen for some of the people some of the time and be not that clear, like getting 1 extra res ever few seconds), unless you can view the source.
  • AvvatarAvvatar Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21970Members, Constellation
    There is definitely a desire to keep modifications proprietary. I modified a lot of maps to work with original NS, and my intent was to just release them, but after talking with the server operators the decision was made to keep them in house, and set up a fast download server with the maps stripped of entities so the client wouldn't get a working copy. This helped to keep our server full by keeping it unique.

I fully intend to work similarly with my server and NS2 to help keep it unique and full, and not being forced to share source with the clients would definitely be a boon.
  • obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
    Ah, Avvatar. I guess I can understand that.