skate.

QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Yes, I'm starting another thread. Don't complain, slackers.</div>So, the demo for this came out a while back ago. I downloaded it 'cause I had been watching its development for awhile, and was pretty well-entertained by the little trailers they had put out.

I play it. Its fun! I spend 10 minutes learning everything you can do in the demo, then do different challenges and stuff for the rest of the time.

...a few days later, I come back. I finish all the tutorial stuff in about 2 minutes and finish all the challenges super fast- and have 15 minutes of free skating. ###### yeah- and it felt so good.

On and off for the next 2 and a half weeks I would start the demo up and play it, practicing, getting better and better, and trying more unique lines.

Well, I ######ing love this. I think I've finally found something rivalling SSX 3 in the action sports genre, and its great.

Okay, now for the meat:

The entire point of skate is that its a realistic skateboarding game- very, very realistic. Its completely physics based- you can't grind something just 'cause you hit the rail, if anything you'll fly off the board and kill yourself doing that(no real penalty). You can't land sideways, or you have similar problems, Though, even then, it kind of depends on how you land. You could be coming down a rail with the board balanced equally on both sides, come off, and if you're turning as you come off(to line yourself up), you'll probably have one side of the board hit the ground first, and you'll turn on that to help the other one make it.

Furthermore, it allows you to twist the board in grinds by shifting your weight, allowing you to turn a nose grind into some odd diagonal grind of doom- then, with a flick of the right analog stick, you trick off of it.

Specifically, every trick in the game involves the right analog stick. To ollie, you go down, then up. To ollie big, you hold down, then up it(and you will bring your back end up if you hold up, too). Nollies(ollie from the nose) are up, then down, but otherwise the same. To kickflip, you go down, then hit the top right. Heelflips are top-left. If you go down then swing left or right(instead of cutting across), you'll do a pop shovit, normal or frontside.

Then, to grab, you hold a trigger button(for whatever hand you want to grab with). Finally, to do some of the really complicated things like a Christ Air, you hold down B while grabbing.

Because of the realism involved, it forces you to plan out what you're doing- or at least, know what you CAN'T do.

From there, its all about just having fun- there are objectives, but if you keep focused on them they get a little old. But if you just go out and have fun randomly, you'll find that there are so many things to try and do, its insane- its not like TH, where one trick is the same as always no matter where you do it- I love some of the moments in skate where you pull off a very simple kickflip- but your feet were above the rail and your board was below it, and you land it all the same. Or you do ANOTHER FS Grab 360...in one of those big drain pipe things, OVER another pipe. Or actually landing that 30 foot jump(damn thats hard, if you even try 1 trick in it). Everything is about how you do it, how you want to do it, and trying to pull it off.

So, anyone else grabbing it? Frankly, if you like watching skateboarding, this game is a must buy. The only weaknesses I've come across is an occasionally buggy grab tilt(where I'll suddenly tilt in a random direction- but this is usually because of me starting a spin incorrectly, but its something I don't think should be there), and no options to make a female skater(I'm always a girl in games <3). Also, as you'll hear everywhere, its trick pool doesn't include TONS of tricks- some of them pretty standard fare for any skater.

And as a sidenote, you can upload photos and movies from ingame to the skate website. They're still finishing it up(the press has access to it right now, so it does work apparently, but its in beta), but considering a lot of the neat movie editing tricks you can do(not a huge amount, but big ones are there) you can have some pretty cool movies to show off.

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    A frontside pop shovit?! Is this english?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1649824:date=Sep 16 2007, 05:20 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ Sep 16 2007, 05:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1649824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A frontside pop shovit?! Is this english?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Makes as much sense to them as nVidia, front side bus, chipset driver, and floating point calculations make to us. Hobbies have jargon.
  • pardzhpardzh Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1601Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1649824:date=Sep 16 2007, 06:20 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ Sep 16 2007, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1649824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A frontside pop shovit?! Is this english?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Does it need to be?

Last time I checked, Webster's wasn't out thrashing rails and coming up with proper english names for what they did.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited September 2007
    So is this the sort of game where you crank it up while chugging and charging?

But okay, fine, I'll play nice: What the hell is a <strike>front side bus</strike> frontside pop shovit?
  • pardzhpardzh Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1601Members
    Ollie, shove your front foot forward, and let the board spin laterally underneath you like a frisbee.