Viacom breaks copyright-time continuum

2»

Comments

• DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Viacom did not have rights to use his work to begin with, but he also did not have rights to post the video that vh1 made even though it CONTAINED his content. Most he could do is get a law suit for vh1 using his video (which i would do personally, get lots of money)

Reminds me of Lord of War stealing darkstorns ak47 model for the ak47's long description. They didn't even bother correctly mirroring the model OR removing the watermarks in the texture that obviously says 'stoke'. I wonder if he ever filed a law suit against that, i should ask him some time.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would guess this then comes down the Parody rights. Does someone who makes a product retain any sort of rights to the parody of his product- especially when money is not involved?
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Depends on the parody. If it's a parody with all-original content (example: Scary Movie), the maker of the parody has the copyright for all the content he himself created. If it's just me drawing mustaches on all the characters in a Disney Movie and adding voiceovers, I only have the copyright for the voiceovers and the mustaches (and since I'm using such large parts of their works without permission they could sue me for copyright infringement).