Yay 4 Games 4 Windows!

2»

Comments

• LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    And an Xbox Live account...

I think in Shadowrun the PC players vision goes blurry or the crosshair shifts. Something lame like that.
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    edited July 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1639467:date=Jul 18 2007, 12:56 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Talesin @ Jul 18 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1639467[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    A gamepad is a crappy way to play an FPS. Joysticks will never beat out the precision and control a mouse provides. Played Halo on the hernia-box, and then on my computer. Hands down, keyboard and mouse beat the living tar out of the gamepad.

Would be fun to see console players trying to keep up with those on the PC. Then again, they /do/ make a keyboard/mouse adapter for the 360, so you aren't crippled by a gamepad.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

heh heh heh i smpoke console fools on my pc he h eh heh

Thank you for posting generic console hate reply #25125 in this thread, your contribution is greatly appreciated and i feel you have taken the discussion in new and well informed directions.

Oh, no, wait. First of all, GoW isn't strictly an FPS, not at all. For a lot of the time you're playing from a third person perspective, you only go "first person" (over the shoulder) to shoot. On the 360 pad it handles very well and after the first 1-2 times you're put into combat situations, it becomes pretty easy. Of course a mouse might handle it fairly well, but with the off-centre, over the shoulder viewpoint, it would feel weird. But hey, there's mouse and keyboard support for the <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->HERNIA BOX<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> (get it, because it's BIG! hahahaha!) so if you really want to be so picky as make sweeping generalisations over a market of gamers far larger than pc snobs, they can be on the exact same level as you are.

It's 2007, it's time to get over it. The PC market is nothing like it used to be. Hardcore gamers aren't the target market anymore, they're the minority. Hey, guess the biggest selling pc game so far, Sims 2! Man those consuele nubes will get pwned wen i open up with my MOUSE KEYBOARD sims heh heh heh. What else, oh yeah, Halo 2 completely dwarf's the pc's first "true gamer's game." At 40m sales it's a little higher than Diablo 2 at 15m. But hey, we can pwn us some of dem consule nubes rite?

Just because you're an elitist pc snob, doesn't mean that you're not a minority, and thank god you're a minority, because having to put up with mouthbreathing snobs like you in every single game would make me glad to pack up my pc and swear my allegiance to the <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->HERNIA BOX<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> (get it it's big!?).

<!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->HERNIA BOX<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited July 2007
    go go gadget hyperbole and personal attacks. I don't think Talesin, or anyone even, dissed the xbox in this thread. mellow out and get a clue. to catch you up, the discussion has been about how we PC gamers who don't have xboxes will soon have access to some of the better 360 games, and branched off to discussing how aiming in shooter games is easier with mouse+keyb than it is with a gamepad. and I guess you disagree with that?
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1639652:date=Jul 19 2007, 05:46 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiscoZombie @ Jul 19 2007, 05:46 PM) [snapback]1639652[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    go go gadget hyperbole and personal attacks. I don't think Talesin, or anyone even, dissed the xbox in this thread. mellow out and get a clue. and I guess you disagree that aiming is easier with mouse+keyboard than it is with a gamepad?
    guess what they add in autoaiming for console fps / tps games so aiming is easier with a pad

and this "AHAHAHA HERNIA BOX GET IT!" crap has got to go. it's no different from saying "micro$oft" (HAHAHA THEY JUST CARE ABOUT MONEY!). it's elitist pc snobs who perpetuate this attitude, and i'm just calling it like i see it

console gaming is a much larger market, and as much as it pains everyone to hear it, the hardcore pc market is the minority now and is certainly not the focus. big companies like epic and id have to market on a cross-platform basis because of the amount of money they're losing in the pc market from piracy, and a lot of the pc's biggest, most famous franchises are completely eclipsed by numerous console titles and franchises.

input devices are completely relevant to the type of game. i wouldn't dream of playing an rts game with a joystick or gamepad, i wouldn't play a flight sim with a mouse and keyboard, i wouldn't play a platformer with a mouse and keyboard, gamepads for fps games aren't ideal, no, but as i said, they tune autoaiming to counteract the inaccuracy / reaction time of using a gamepad, but for third person shooters like gears of war it works extremely well, how do i know this, oh wait, i tried it, not just made a flippant comment and then moved onto talking about halo which is a different kettle of fish
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    I always found 3rd person to be much easier on pc. I beat vice city in a few hours on the pc vs a few days on the console. Thing is, controllers dont give that instant precision aiming that a mouse can give. Instead, their better for variable directions like steering or top down shooters.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1639656:date=Jul 19 2007, 09:54 AM:name=esuna)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esuna @ Jul 19 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]1639656[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    they tune autoaiming to counteract the inaccuracy / reaction time of using a gamepad, but for third person shooters like gears of war it works extremely well,
    There's auto aiming in Gears? I don't recall any...

I mostly can't console shooters because of the auto aim; it really kills the satisfaction when the computer does the hard part of the aiming for me.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    To agree with the console people...

Gears of War is the first time I've seen an FPS-esque (third person, after all) designed primarily for playing with a controller, and it suits it, really well. It's not about snap aim, hell, if anything, snap aim *is* unrealistic, if you hold a rifle. You can't spin it 180 and get it dead on, like us PC gamers can. Angles DO give you really trouble, especially if you're trying to move at the same time.

Whilst I'll give the PC version a whirl, I have to say I was utterly astounded at how slick 360 GoW was.

Halo was the reverse. It seemed to not been designed around a joypad, but around the Keyd/Mouse mentality and then for a joypad, which is why it felt awful to aim with. This is everything, from simple controls, through to level design (Notice GoW doesn't have as much 'diagonal fire' to do) and balance. If you could snap aim, the online console gaming that makes it so exciting (Roadie Running between cover as a quick dash, before they manage to draw a bead on you) would be lost, because people could aim so much faster.

Online console gaming is finally starting to mature, and we'd all best accept now that the industry we've been part of for years might be looking at dire times indeed, with only MMORPG's for company.
    I *am* a hardcore PC gamer, and I still think GoW might actually lose out by coming to PC.

- Shockwave
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Hey, we are a minority, but we are also MASSIVELY elite compared to what the industry is churning out titles targeted to. I think we deserve some minority protection TBH.
  • VenmochVenmoch Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1093Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1639818:date=Jul 20 2007, 11:02 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swiftspear @ Jul 20 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]1639818[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I think we deserve some minority protection TBH.

Not really, theres not really any significant money in the PC business. Unless your an established Developer or have a really cool idea.

On the whole Gears Of War thing it was fun and solidly built but my god did it feel generic. The firefights weren't really as intense as everyone says they are and don't get me started on the guns. Then on the other hand you have games like Rainbow Six: Vegas which while still in the fairly overplayed modern day managed to create some very intense gun-fights. And has a cover system that I feel is miles better than Gears. Oh and Guns that actully sound powerful.

And then you get something like The Darkness.....