Gun Request & Receive GUI?

kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
I apologize if this is already posted.
I looked backward a bit...I searched...
If it is please feel free to post the link.

Background
--------------
Playing NS1 I was always annoyed by the fact that people would be yelling requests for guns/armor/etc.
The commander would say wait wait
and then drop a PILE of weapons which everyone would scamper to the pile
and sometimes come up with a weapon they did not ask for.

Solution
---------
A Marine goes over to ammo box/commander box/whatever and selects what he WANTS.
The commander has a list of marines and their WANTS and grants them based on...
a) position ( We need those turrets alive )
b) usefulness/performance ( good job Bucky96 )
c) health ( Well he requested this...but he is almost dead )
d) whatever ( He's the commander he makes the call )

and pop the marine gets that upgrade.

At any point the Marine can change his WANTS.

This sort of mechanism would allow a Commander to make reward based suggestions.
( Stay planted for five minutes and I will give you a shotty )
and prevent this situation
( I gave it to you...! Where is it? Ooops I think I picked it up, sorry. )

discuss ...or flame me because it has been discussed...

Comments

• N_3N_3 \o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    weapon cache's come about because the comm doesn't have enough time to sort through every marine's request. Or because he wants to use a tactic with that particular weapon. this sort of system, whilst not a bad idea would still take a while to sort through. perhaps if it was just for weapons (not meds/ammo) and integrated with some general 'team overview' tab it might be ok.
  • MisereMisere Join Date: 2004-03-28 Member: 27568Members
    This is a good idea but it needs to be structured/explained more.

A1. The com should be able to select a particular marine off the "who is playing" menu or by clicking on a request icon like (i need) ammo (hitting the space bar would still take you to the over head view without selecting a marine for a general spam) or just the marine itself.

A2. Then whatever the com then drops that marine gets, without having to chase them around the screen, providing they are 1) in range or 2) they need it. If they are not within range for items (SG, JP) then the drop will wait for 10secs for the marine to get within range. The the marine takes longer than this it will turn back into res. In the case of ammo/meds, if the marine is at full health/ammo then the excess will fall at the marines feet.

This way you can target a marines indiviualy to select those that playing the game and not those that are ramboing. Or give a particualr combination out. i.e HMG+MINES+JP vs SG+HA+WLD. If a group of marines all need ammo you can drop it directly on one and then the rest pick up what is left.

B1. By selecting the armory or AA you can drop a butch of stuff which is stored in it. Players then come along and grab what they want. They can switch weapons (change a HMG for a GL) HA for a JP etc. You could even customise 3 or 4 packs so that you don't have to click on each item. I.e Pack one is JP+HMG, Pack 2 GL+HMG

C1 Wants: Marine selects upgrade prefernces in order. i.e SG, HMG, LMG, GL,. Then when ever they activate the AA (SEE ABOVE) they get upgraded if applicable. Now I don't like the GL but sometimes I have to use it if there is OC spam. In this case a pop up menu which = TEMP > GL would overide the above order until unselected.

Down side is that comming may become to easy and tip the balance, e.g. meding in the heat of battle.