Help me make Deus Ex work!

TestamentTestament Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Members
edited June 2007 in Off-Topic
Alright, another post from my thrusting foray into gaming. A long time ago I bought Deus Ex, installed it, got angry at it, uninstalled it, and lost the disc a year later. Realizing I had lost the disc today I acquired it from other sources.

That said, I still have an issue I had from my legit disc and that is the fact that Deus Ex seems to run at all of 15FPS and finding relevant info on the game is hard as hell. I'm running a 900MHZ AMD T-Bird with a Radeon 9600 Pro and 512 megs of DDR ram. I tried some alternate OGL and D3D8 drivers for it, but it didn't seem to boost my frame rate much.

Anyone else experiencing this problem or whatever would be nice to know if you fixed it. Ask for other relevant information, I suck at initial posts.

Comments

• JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    My old 400MHz ran it pretty fine so I'm guessing something's wrong with your machine somewhere. What OS are you using and do other games run OK?
  • TestamentTestament Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4037Members
    edited June 2007
    Win XP, everything runs dandily except the HL Engine, which some Radeons are known to have trouble with. It also ran just fine on my Geforce 2 waaaaaaaay back when when I tried the demo or something. It's also probably prudent to note that I get this performance issue on the UT99 engine too, at least from what I remember when I last installed it.
  • JimmehJimmeh Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20173Members, Constellation
    edited June 2007
    I'm assuming it's patched fully, drivers are fully updated etc.

Try using a NO-CD crack if you've had problems with the CD?

EDIT- By alternate OGL/DX8 drivers I'm guessing you meant <a href="http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/" target="_blank">these</a>? If not, try them.
    It's Deus Ex GOTY, I couldn't find any later patches. Drivers are updated, yeah.
  • RedfordRedford Monorailcatfjord Join Date: 2002-04-28 Member: 528Members, NS1 Playtester
    Did you ever consider checking the technical issues part of a dues ex forum or perhaps even posting there? It's very possible someone else not only has your problem, but a solution as well.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Try Jimmeh's link. That should definitely change things, if not fix them!
    <!--quoteo(post=1636212:date=Jun 27 2007, 07:05 PM:name=Redford)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redford @ Jun 27 2007, 07:05 PM) [snapback]1636212[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Did you ever consider checking the technical issues part of a dues ex forum or perhaps even posting there? It's very possible someone else not only has your problem, but a solution as well.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. That idea never came to me.

And yes, Jimmeh, those are ze ones.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    edited June 2007
    I've solved similar problems, but in that case everything simply slowed down to like 1/10 of the speed it should rn at.

My solution was to change video mode to opengl, which is stated not to be fully supported in deus ex, but hey who cares. That fixed it for me.

For some reason radeon cards seem to f up alot of things when it comes to games. Whyyy oh why did I get a radeon card.
  • 404NotFound404NotFound Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58103Members
    Steam now sells DeusEx (for good price!), which also means they have support forums for it. I'd try there.
  • semipsychoticsemipsychotic Join Date: 2003-07-09 Member: 18061Members
    I have a Radeon 9600XT that runs the Half-life engine perfectly and holds its own in Oblivion, so not all Radeons have problems with games.

I'm surprised nobody has said "OMEGA DRIVERS!" yet. Is it just a foregone conclusion nowadays?