Need Half Life 2 mod Recommendations

2»

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1634967:date=Jun 20 2007, 05:17 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 20 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]1634967[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    It is, and so is CS:S. Infact Valve even knows this, they've put out countless "freebie weekends" for DoD:S to try and push the crap down our throats. I actually wasted the time to DL it just to play for 2 days, it made me physically sick to see what they did to DoD. I promptly uninstalled it, I wouldn't even want it if they geve it away completely free, its not worth the diskspace.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually enjoy both games a whole lot.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1634912:date=Jun 20 2007, 01:39 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thaldarin @ Jun 20 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]1634912[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I'd rather play DoD and CS on HL1 rather than Source if I'm entirely honest.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wouldn't go back to DoD after Source; and I haven't. The only thing that DoDS lacks is the classic maps of DoD... where's my caen damn it?
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited June 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1634967:date=Jun 21 2007, 01:17 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jun 21 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]1634967[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    It is, and so is CS:S. Infact Valve even knows this, they've put out countless "freebie weekends" for DoD:S to try and push the crap down our throats. I actually wasted the time to DL it just to play for 2 days, it made me physically sick to see what they did to DoD. I promptly uninstalled it, I wouldn't even want it if they geve it away completely free, its not worth the diskspace.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->The gameplay's not too bad in DoD:S. They actually made taking a bazooka a reasonable option, but they really hidefied some of the weapons. I understand taking the tripod off the BAR, but the StG44... WTH man? The maps are also fantastically detailed in DoD:S, I can't take that away from it.

I do like some of the newer CS:S maps, too. I just hate how they made headshots less of an art and more of a "if I fire my weapon straight up in the air, I have a 1-in-3 chance of headshotting someone". It means CS:S has turned into a ridiculous fragfest where you can run through hordes of people at full speed with a P90 and barely miss a kill. And don't get me started on CSMarket.

Anyway, source <i>mods</i>. I knew Nightwatch died on HL, but I didn't realise its HL2 phoenix suffered the same fate months after the decision was made to port it.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    edited June 2007
    Read some Gibson to psyche yourself up, and then go play Dystopia. Its best to get familair with Cyberspace on each map by yourself before hand if you plan on decking.

Edit: I bought DoD:S the other day, and its pretty good. My only major gripe is that they screwed over Axis Riflemen, since they no longer have a pistol, their gun isn't almost always one-hit kill, and alternate fire is ironsights instead of a bayonette. So I essentially have to relearn how to play my favorite class.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1635326:date=Jun 23 2007, 02:06 AM:name=Mantrid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mantrid @ Jun 23 2007, 02:06 AM) [snapback]1635326[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Read some Gibson to psyche yourself up, and then go play Dystopia. Its best to get familair with Cyberspace on each map by yourself before hand if you plan on decking.

Edit: I bought DoD:S the other day, and its pretty good. My only major gripe is that they screwed over Axis Riflemen, since they no longer have a pistol, their gun isn't almost always one-hit kill, and alternate fire is ironsights instead of a bayonette. So I essentially have to relearn how to play my favorite class.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Yeah that is a bummer.

And you should be reading Gibson whether or not you're going to be playing Dystopia.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    The Axis rifleman is still super mega powerful. You can nail people with that thing like it's a sniper rifle, only you don't get a scope, which isn't a problem except at real long ranges.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited June 2007
    Eternal Since, The Hidden and Dystopia are my recommendations.