Is it too early to have a ns2 map forum?

ArchfiendchrisArchfiendchris Join Date: 2007-05-26 Member: 61016Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it too early to have a ns2 map forum?</div>Is it too early to have a ns2 map forum? The topics are starting to pop up, should we have a ns2 forum? So when we can make maps we not jumping between forums? Is it too early?

Comments

• KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    For now, I would say that you can post NS2 map threads in here and when it becomes viable to create a NS2 mapping forum we can either move some of the threads over or new ones can be started there.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    I'd say it's too early just yet. Right now, threads are few and far between anyway, even stuff being built right now is being built on speculation alone. But once that NS2TR hits, there's gonna be a pile of questions and topics then I imagine, and I'd say it'd be good to start fresh, keeping this one here for archival purposes and the few folks that are still working on it.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1632212:date=Jun 8 2007, 05:00 AM:name=Archfiendchris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Archfiendchris @ Jun 8 2007, 05:00 AM) [snapback]1632212[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Is it too early to have a ns2 map forum? The topics are starting to pop up, should we have a ns2 forum? So when we can make maps we not jumping between forums? Is it too early?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was considering this the other day. I'll probably add a dedicated NS2 mapping forum just before the NS2TR hits. Until then, here's fine.
  • ArchfiendchrisArchfiendchris Join Date: 2007-05-26 Member: 61016Members, Constellation
    yea i was thinking the same, but i also changed my mind like u said cuz the posts have slowed down, thought they were going to pickup lol.
  • cariocacarioca Join Date: 2003-09-02 Member: 20511Members
    any one know where is the tools or the textures for the new ns mapping making?
    i bolive ns2 isnt will be like ns. will be more and i would like know how diferent it will be.
    since technoligies is increasing every time. i hope my single 2.0ghz core 32 bits will handle it.
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The tools havn't been released yet. Its called the Natural Selection 2 Technology Release (NS2TR), and they're creating it right now. We have no idea when it'll be released.
  • ChocolateChocolate The Team Mascot Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58123Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1632809:date=Jun 10 2007, 12:40 PM:name=StixNStonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StixNStonz @ Jun 10 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]1632809[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    The tools havn't been released yet. Its called the Natural Selection 2 Technology Release (NS2TR), and they're creating it right now. We have no idea when it'll be released.
    Can't we just use the same tools they use to create maps on other Source games, kind of like it is now? Or is it impossible for some reason unknown to me?
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    edited June 2007
    It's the additional tools and material. Hammer 4 is still used, but you need the tech demo of the game in order to test the map. And you need the custom entity information, textures, and other stuff to fill the map with.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1633502:date=Jun 15 2007, 01:00 AM:name=Chocolate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chocolate @ Jun 15 2007, 01:00 AM) [snapback]1633502[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Can't we just use the same tools they use to create maps on other Source games, kind of like it is now? Or is it impossible for some reason unknown to me?

You can do but because of what BigD has mentioned

<!--QuoteBegin-BigD+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigD)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It's the additional tools and material<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would mean that you would build your map and then have to completely retexture it and possibly change things like your door ways, or the dimensions of the room you left for some lift machinery, to fit with the props that are supplied in you map. You will also need all the custom entities to make the approriate hive spaces, so you may need to resize those too.

But there is nothing to stop you making a map in CS or HL2DM, that you can test and run around in, to learn mapping and to use as a base for a NS2 map, just be aware it may need substantial redsigning, so don't make it look too pretty...

I'm currently making various maps (a ZombieMod map and a HL2DM map) just to learn better mapping techniques, and use of lights. Source can look really beautiful if done properly.