NS dedicated server startup error

GrandMoffVixenGrandMoffVixen Members Join Date: 2007-04-30 Member: 60765Posts: 20 Advanced user
edited April 2007 in Win32 Server Support
Ok, I have looked around using the search option and any topics I have seen don't give me a solution. I get an error like this:

IPB Image

It seems to be looking for a file but I don't know how to fix it. Reinstalling does nothing. I have looked and looked and am tired of looking. Any help is appreciated.

My specs are:
AMD Athlon™ XP 2500+, ~1.8GHz
1024MB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1

I once had it running in the past but that was two years ago and I do not remember how I did it. This is the same machine I ran it on. I have only recently came back to ns.

Comments

• puzlpuzl The Old Firm Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Posts: 4,112 mod
    First make sure you have the file <hlds install>\ns\dlls\ns.dll

then check the file <hlds install>\ns\liblist.gam for the line
    gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"

If both of these are correct, then can you please post the details of how you launch the server?

Retired NS1 Developer, currently making myself useful as a forum moderator - message me for any mod related requests.
  • GrandMoffVixenGrandMoffVixen Members Join Date: 2007-04-30 Member: 60765Posts: 20 Advanced user
    Ok, I used Vadakill's server info to get started. I did everything exactly as it said to do. After I make the .bat file I put in the command line exactly as it says for ease of setting it up. Then I paste the .bat file to my desktop and ensure it looks for the proper directory. Then I execute it. Then I get the error I previously described.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Members Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Posts: 6,411 Fully active user
    As puzl mentioned, if the file is indeed physically located where he said, then open your liblist.gm in the ns folder and see if it says gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"
    modNS Forums - NS1 and NS2: We Wrote The Book On NS Moddingimage
  • GrandMoffVixenGrandMoffVixen Members Join Date: 2007-04-30 Member: 60765Posts: 20 Advanced user
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Members Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Posts: 6,411 Fully active user
    Your screenshot indicates your missing a hl.dll in the dlls folder, NOT an ns.dll
    modNS Forums - NS1 and NS2: We Wrote The Book On NS Moddingimage
    I know that. I have tried copying hl.dll into the folder and adjusting liblist.gam to see it but no change.
  • MisfireMisfire Members Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5764Posts: 376 Fully active user
    dont run the server from a .bat file on ur desktop.

instead go to ur hlds folder and make shortcut to it.

in the target area of ur shortcut it should be like this example

c:\hlserver\hlds.exe -console -game ns -port 27015 +maxplayers 16 +map ns_nancy

you can modify the the spaces with underlined to ur preference.

+blah blah blah executes a command when server starts.

hope this helps
    uK.Misfire
    Owner of Frag & a Coke
    Frag & a Coke

I-AM Servers
    edited May 2007
    I fixed it. I had a friend help me. My hlds.exe was not in the right directory.
    Post edited by Unknown User on