Interactive Maps

James1986James1986 Join Date: 2007-03-15 Member: 60366Members
edited March 2007 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">More interactive maps</div>OK, so i'm not sure if this has been said, but the idea came to me so quickly i just had to write it down.

I think the maps should have much more interactivity! For example, one map could have sections sealed off, with the specific, ( or not so specific ) idea of making the marines go to fix control consoles to open it up. It would then give them extra abilities, such as defense controls, armouries, blah blah blah etc! They could have access to advanced sensors, or try to get the point shields online or seomthing!

As well as this, aliens could create ambushes, or seal of sections by using their infestation abilities, to which the marines would have to open up a different section to bypass it? or to get the prototype weapon to destroy the infested area!!

Multiple possibilities here people, feel free to elabourate on this!

Even just including a few consoles which have to be hacked by the marines, to progress further towards the hive, sort of like an old TFC map, which i cant remember. The marines would have to hold those consoles until they ahve been hacked, maybe have a marine hacking for 2 minutes non stop? And then a new area would open up, and the spawn points moved forwards, via phase gate for marines, and back, once the infestation has been cleared, for the aliens..... A virtual tug 'o' war!!!

I suppose this would come under a new game scenario, but the basics could easily be integrated into the simplist of maps.

Just saw that this is quite similar to Jimbotos accessing computer ideas, however I am thinking about using this on a bigger scale. For example, scenario maps where the marines have to extract a power source from some redundant system, transport it to the elevator shaft, and then use it to enable the elevator to reach the upper, or lower levels where the hives are located. Something like that.....

Comments

• jimbotogo422jimbotogo422 Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59014Members
    Once again, i like these ideas. Its a brand new game mode, based on objectives, rather than just combat or strategy. I have seen, in some custom maps, a door or something of the like that the marines had to weld (or hack, in your case) in order to open it. With hacking, though, a console could be hacked a distance away from the door that is trying to be opened. That would switch things up a bit! It would really cause both teams to think a bit more. No more skulk rushes.

It kind of reminds me of siege maps, in that there would be no rushes. Of course, there could be rushes i guess, but Marines would still have to hack through passageways or lock down rooms in order to get to the hive. DI could do quite a bit of damage to the consoles, or 'accessible computer monitors', rendering them completely useless.

Anyway, I like those ideas. Only thing I wouldn't do, is call the hacker a 'hacker', cause some close-minded doctrinaires might pounce on the idea like a savage skulk, and tear it into pieces because it slightly resembles other games like <i>Dystopia</i> or <i>Doom</i>. But the NS community seems rather open-minded to me, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just don't visit the Black Mesa Forums anytime soon, hehe.