hybrid chamber and super chamber

N_3N_3 \o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
I may have brought up this idea somewhere else but it needs it's own thread, well really theres two somewhat similar ideas.

Anyway, firstly the hybrid chamber. This alien chamber, would be as the name suggests, a combination of two other chambers; you would need to have constructed one of each basic type already - so its only available in the mid/late game. ie you could have d/m chamber, m/s chamber, d/s chamber using the current set of 3 base chambers, and with a more unique name if necessary. There are a few options for the benefits of this hybrid chamber, including possibly:<ul><li>A new alien upgrade based on the hybrid</li><li>The area effect of both chambers, to a lesser extent.</li><li>A new and different area effect based on the hybrid</li></ul>new ideas for area of effect or as upgrades:
m/sc could have stuff that allowed you to cloak fully whilst running or permanent half-cloak or instant cloaking once standing still or faster focus. d/mc might have improvements to regen or the ability to regen armour and health at the same time. d/sc could have damage doesn't remove cloak (only attacking does) or minimap showing sof.

The super chamber on the other hand is an idea for something that further enhances a specialty rather than blending it. To build a super chamber you would need say 5 of the basic chamber built. There's one super chamber for each basic type: super dc, super mc, super sc. Now again there are some options for the benefits of the super chamber:<ul><li>A new alien upgrade</li><li>or the ability to take 2 upgrades from that type (ie 2 defensive upgrades with a super dc)</li><li>or makes current upgrades goto an even higher level 4</li><li>Has a stronger or new area of effect</li></ul>The super chamber would have to cost a bit more than the regular edition (to make it more interesting, it might need to also have the 5 basic chambers alive to work).

Either idea could work with more basic chamber types and/or with oc's too.

Comments

• HarrowerHarrower Join Date: 2005-03-16 Member: 45478Members
    I kind of like an overcosted "super chamber" (not sure about the name) that would look like some kind of a huge spire, require at least 3 active lesser chambers to work, and have tons of health, maybe costing 20 or 30 res.

But the hybrid chambers fall into what I call the "brown problem" category. Think of it this way: You like honey mustard on a salad or sandwich or whatever, and you like chocolate cake for dessert. So obviously, you should have chocolate cake on a bed of salad drizzled in honey mustard, because two good things always go together, right?
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1608824:date=Feb 23 2007, 07:37 PM:name=Harrower)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harrower @ Feb 23 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]1608824[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    the hybrid chambers fall into what I call the "brown problem" category. Think of it this way: You like honey mustard on a salad or sandwich or whatever, and you like chocolate cake for dessert. So obviously, you should have chocolate cake on a bed of salad drizzled in honey mustard, because two good things always go together, right?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i couldnt have put it better myself! i dont like the hybrid chamber idea at all, i dont think there's any need for it.

the super chamber is a pretty good idea, people already build "super chambers" by dropping several chambers in the same place at once. it would be better to drop one big chamber, instead of spamming several normal ones....

the area effect should be increased for the super chamber, but i dont think there should be any extra abilities associated with it.

and of course, if this is implemented, make it so people cant make "super super chambers" by dropping several super chambers in the same spot.
  • N_3N_3 &#092;o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    the main thing behind it was to be able to open up more alien abilities and technologies without more base chambers (for use in the later game). although i wouldn't mind seeing more base chambers.
  • HarrowerHarrower Join Date: 2005-03-16 Member: 45478Members
    I would call them Spires not Super Chambers. Super chamber is lame, spire sounds more scifi'ish.

You know this brings up an interesting point. If there are two kinds of chamber "sizes" why couldn't there be more? Why not (insert long disclaimer about this idea being way too much work to be feasible) set up an algorithm by which gorges could draw chambers in DI on the floor or wall in any size in any location they want.

A circle would form, say, a movement chamber. A square would form a dc, and a triangle would form a sensory. The diameter and height of the chamber would be controlled by the size of the shape drawn.

Thoughts?
  • TestosteronTestosteron Join Date: 2006-12-29 Member: 59299Members, Constellation
    Regarding the Super Chamber:

<!--quoteo(post=1608809:date=Feb 23 2007, 07:19 PM:name=N_3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_3 @ Feb 23 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]1608809[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    or makes current upgrades goto an even higher level 4<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Level 4 Carapace or Focus would be extremely strong. But what about level 4 Silence? Silence 3 is already 100% silent.
    And if you modified Silence 3 to be only 95% silent it would be useless without the Super Chamber.