An opportunity for an offical NS customisation pack

puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Post 3.2</div>As some of you may have noticed, we have <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=100295" target="_blank">announced our interest</a> in supporting a community based NS map pack. We would also like to extend this offer to the customisation forum. We haven't worked out the details yet, but we are definitely interested in collecting a set of replacement high-poly and high-detail assets for NS and distributing them as an optional download for the community.

If the quality of the work is good enough, we would consider rolling them into NS 3.3 and adding a way to switch between the two sets of assets, both of which would pass consistency.

So consider this topic an invitation to discuss the options we have.

Comments

• SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    edited February 2007
    As a community, we are nowhere near ready to release a full "pack" of high poly models.

As it stands today, completed drop-in replacements for high-poly models include:

LMG
    Pistol
    Marine Resource tower
    Phasegate

What is the expected release timeframe for 3.3? Are we finally going to have an official set of detail textures? How many models/ detail textures would we need to have completed in order for the dev team to consider including them? What about higher res textures in the NS .wads?
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    I would love to see high poly models introduced in the next version of NS. Afterall most computers are capable of running it.. and if they arent well... they should spend the 400 dollars to update their system, its not like it cost much to do so >.>
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    There are more assets than that available, though it is possible the people who are showing us their work over email are not participating on these forums.

I don't expect us to be supporting two sets of textures in ns2.wad etc. but we will look at unlocking r_detailtextures again if this project gains momentum.

There is no timeframe for 3.3 yet. We won't even begin to nail down that kind of detail until the code is 90% complete, and right now we haven't even begun to discuss what will go into 3.3.

To include the high poly stuff in the default installer, we'd need the majority of models to be updated. Until then we would expose your work via an optional package that could be downloaded by those who like to customise their install and don't need their install to work on servers enforcing consistency.

The one thing we would need to be careful about is ensuring that the custom models match the basic geometry of the default models.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    edited February 2007
    awesomeness, i could live with just a downloadable high poly model pack as well <3

but hey, beggars cant be choosers!
  • SnappyCrunchSnappyCrunch Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30328Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1606779:date=Feb 15 2007, 09:04 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(puzl @ Feb 15 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]1606779[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    There are more assets than that available, though it is possible the people who are showing us their work over email are not participating on these forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's possible, but I'm specifically referring to 100% completed models that are ready to go right now. I have seen so many great looking models that we only see screenshots of here on the forums, and never get past getting modeled. (i.e no UVW unwrapping, skinning, or animating)
  • KaineKaine Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1096Members, Constellation
    now with some official support/motivation we might be able to get a group of the more active/skilled UV Mappers and skinners together to finish off any hi-poly models floating around. If modellers know their stuff has somewhere to go to be finished they are much more likely to put some effort into some good models. As for animating... well as long as the models are structurally close to the originals there is no reason why we can't use the original animations.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited February 2007
    Well, the purpose of these packs that are being discussed now is to provide some kind of showcase for all the excellent work the NS community has produced. If there isn't enough to turn it into a game feature, that's fine too, but we would be happy to collect the completed work and promote it on your behalf anyway.

The details have to be worked out, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered, but until then I think if we work to getting a list of what is available, and what is achievable in a month and what is achievable in 4 months, it will allow us to figure out what we need to do.

We are also working on the assumption that you guys are looking for opportunities to showcase your work to wider audiences to help improve your portfolios over time. Peer review is essential for improvement.
    edited February 2007
    I'm excited by the idea of official promotion of the models we have been producing for the past few years. I like making models, but knowing that they'll only reach a very limited audience is sort of a buzz-kill. Even my friends, who like NS as much as I do, and use the customization "packs" I have put together, won't come to the the customization boards to see if there's anything they like. I really enjoy, and am willing to work towards, the idea of a complete and selectable pack in the NS installer. I want my work to reach a wider audience, and I want NS fans to have a more beautiful NS.
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    I think that there will be people interested puzl (myself included) however, it'd be great to hear what the finalised details of the thing will be.