Pan's Labyrinth

13»

Comments

• LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    edited April 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1620501:date=Apr 12 2007, 03:17 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Insane @ Apr 12 2007, 03:17 AM) [snapback]1620501[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Yeah, god forbid any of us ever be challenged to <i>think</i> about a movie.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why would I think about if she died or not? She was a boring and mundane character and I really didn't care for; her "death" is nothing show stopping and a straight answer would have been nice.

<!--quoteo(post=1620620:date=Apr 12 2007, 05:37 PM:name=Zig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zig @ Apr 12 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]1620620[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    So if hundreds of children have already been eaten by this monster who has removable eyeballs, sees out of his hands, and is perpetually seated before an enormous feast of fresh food that shows no signs of rotting, is it so hard to believe that the children are compelled by some force of magic to eat the food?
    Yes. What make this basket case so strong that she can cut off this "magic" after it takes a hold instead of not even get caught in it at all?
  • ChimpZealotChimpZealot The Elite Demo Detective Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10315Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1620636:date=Apr 12 2007, 06:58 PM:name=Liku)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liku @ Apr 12 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1620636[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Yes. What make this basket case so strong that she can cut off this "magic" after it takes a hold instead of not even get caught in it at all?
    The giant creepy guy with eyeballs in his hands might have had something to do with it. Honestly, I hate when people feel the need to look at movies as art instead of entertainment (this is an issue I have with lots of stuff that people try to look too deep into). They get so wrapped up in trying to outsnob each other that they remove themselves from the entire reason for viewing the movie: entertainment. I guess there are people who find more entertainment in over-analyzing stuff, but that's just not for me.
  • ZigZig ...I am Captain Planet&#33; Join Date: 2002-10-23 Member: 1576Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1620631:date=Apr 12 2007, 06:30 PM:name=RuBy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RuBy @ Apr 12 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]1620631[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately, I think a lot of people are fooled by the visuals and foreign language, the violence and the originality, so much that they can't watch the movie critically and are actually afraid of not liking it. <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->You know, I really do share this sentiment quite often. I'm very much against bandwagoning the "next big thing" when it's really just crap.

But I would never think to apply that to Pan's Labyrinth. I enjoyed it immensely and basically agree, on a personal level, with the writing, directing, and producing decisions that made up the movie.

At this point, I suppose it's a matter of preference.
  • LikuLiku I, am the Somberlain. Join Date: 2003-01-10 Member: 12128Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1620654:date=Apr 12 2007, 09:12 PM:name=ChimpZealot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimpZealot @ Apr 12 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]1620654[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Honestly, I hate when people feel the need to look at movies as art instead of entertainment (this is an issue I have with lots of stuff that people try to look too deep into). They get so wrapped up in trying to outsnob each other that they remove themselves from the entire reason for viewing the movie: entertainment. I guess there are people who find more entertainment in over-analyzing stuff, but that's just not for me.
    The film for the most part was entertaining when it was focused on the war, not Ofelia. If the whole movie was that part flushed out, it would have just been another war movie. But no, there was that fantasy element people find thought provoking that gave it so much hype.

Don't you have to over-analyze the whole plot as to if it was real or not because of open interpretation?
  • devil-firedevil-fire Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7912Members
    i liked it. i thought it was vary interesting how they showed this really brutal world and let the viewer play a little escapism trick with Ofilia's adventures. to me it illustrated how it can be vary comforting to forget about harsh realties with our wishful thinking but if we ignore these harsh realities, we can be stuck with something bad that could have been avoided if we had the courage to look at things pragmatically.

has anyone ever seen an optimist's husband/wife cheat on them?
  • devil-firedevil-fire Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1620654:date=Apr 13 2007, 12:12 AM:name=ChimpZealot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimpZealot @ Apr 13 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]1620654[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Honestly, I hate when people feel the need to look at movies as art instead of entertainment (this is an issue I have with lots of stuff that people try to look too deep into). They get so wrapped up in trying to outsnob each other that they remove themselves from the entire reason for viewing the movie: entertainment. I guess there are people who find more entertainment in over-analyzing stuff, but that's just not for me.

most Hollywood movies at block buster are just for entertainment (300 for example. if you try you 'look into it' its quite silly) and there are a few movies that trying to be inviting to analysis and consideration as well as being entertaining (matrix has some classic philosophical points but it also has kung fu fighting) and then there are movies that are fairly plain, simple and generally boring unless you think about the content instead of just the plot (crash for example. a cop sexually molesting a women isn't something you go to a theater to see, and a cop pulling someone from a burning car isn't theater quality in itself either. however, if it properly illustrates that people are not simply sexual predators or heroes, but that quite often people are good and bad at the same time then the movie can be vary informative about human nature).