Map Timings and Routes

ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in Mapping
Over the last few days I have been working on a side project while I take a break from mapping. I would like to share what I have so far.

K7MHM3r.jpg

wnyj8Hw.jpg

XJjL7iM.jpg

gLSYuTR.jpg

rZ1Ieeq.jpg

itF8NR9.jpg

mZX8Z8x.jpg

JiziPD8.jpg

Sorry for the crudeness of the images, I used my best crayon skills, I swear! If anybody has suggestions on how I can improve how the information is displayed or would like extra information on them, please let me know.

I plan on doing this for a fair few custom maps as well and will post those here as well.

Edit: Updated Descent to the new format.

Edit 2: Updated Docking with build 249 changes.

Edit 3: Updated Op with Biodome

Edit 4: Updated Mineshaft, Refinery, Summit, Tram and Veil to the new format (finally) and updated Docking to the live build layout. And just noticed 'ns2_refinary'... great. Well, tough, it's been renamed :P

Comments

• Dr_RandomDr_Random Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184884Members
    This is both very cool and quite handy! I might throw some of these numbers into a spreadsheet to analyze if you don't mind/would be interested in that?
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    I agree this is a very cool and useful analysis. Combining this with skulk transit time would be an interesting way to analyze vent utility.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Dr_Random I would be very interested in seeing the results of that, so go ahead!

@DarkSeraph I'll try and do a set that use a floor walking, non-cele skulk with routes that include vents etc some time soon, once I've done a few more maps. Will be interesting to see what differences there are. I also have images of cyst lengths, which I will integrate at somepoint as well.

Also, I'll try to keep these upto date with any changes that occur to the current maps, and will add in any future official maps as well.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Elevator to mezz has a typo (I assume 13 not 23) and red is very very hard to read. Other then that good work!!
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @current1y I'll update the images to the same format as below soon. And yes, Elevator to Mezz should read 13 not 23, thank you for spotting that.

I finished doing Caged today, thanks to Howser for helping me out with the new scheme.

t7OeMZm.jpg

Again, any suggestions on what else would be useful to include, or on how to improve the quality of the images, I'm all ears.

On another note, I know that there are changes to Docking in the Beta build, but I'm going to wait until that version goes live to create a new image.
    One more for everybody, this time ns2_uplift:

GYETTKU.jpg

I may manage another one for tonight, we'll have to see how my GIMP skills are.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A thought on this great idea, If someone has some programming skills. Could they create an entity a mapper could place in the map that ties into the minimap entity and navigation mesh - the timing entity would auto generated these lines and numbers when pressing the minimap key ?

EG: place a timing entity in each major location ( Tech Points, Res Nodes ) When testing the map, Bring up the mini map and these lines and timings are visible on the minimap.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Simplified style for timings to give a better impression of the map as a whole. I Averaged the routes with two times up.
    sRHjRPz.jpg
    nchTWm1.jpg
    Well I didn't manage to finish another last night, so to make up for that I finished Ayumi, Fracture and Tarvos as well as updated Descent.

z2SB9Ne.jpg

tnTHWNH.jpg

XoDuW6F.jpg

I haven't been able to take the time to actually sit down with this data and look for 'flaws' in the maps yet, but once i've gotten the bulk of them out of the way I will do.
    I've updated Docking to the b249 layout today and revamped the b248 layout as well. I thought that comparing the two could be interesting.

bSWOheF.jpg

w1UED84.jpg
  • Dr_RandomDr_Random Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184884Members
    Okay, so I've been playing with these when I get the chance, and while I still need to fix Docking, Mineshaft, and Refinery, here's some spreadsheeted (spreadshot?) data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alr23XnIKCLFdFM5RVZxdnFlRmc0cGktWDlkMDg0ZUE#gid=2

It'll change as I fix things, and if anyone else wants edit privileges for fixing more things or making different graphs or whatever, PM me an email address to add to the list.
    ^^ Now that is cool. Nice work @Dr_Random. I'll take a good look at all of that tonight.

Sorry that the updates have slowed somewhat, been a busy last few days. I have ns2_kodiak, ns2_jambi and ns2_goliath currently being worked on, as well as updating the remaining official maps.
    Well I've finally gotten around to doing one more image for this thread, may I present ns2_biodome!

JiziPD8.jpg

I should really get on with updating docking again and redoing those other maps...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I asked this already in the other thread, but... why are there sometimes two numbers on a single line?
    edited September 2013
    Ah sorry, thought I had already replied to that question!

Two sets of numbers signifies a difference in timing based on direction. As an example look at the link from Platform to Falls on the Biodome image. Headed from Platform to Falls the time it takes is 24 seconds. From Falls to Platform it takes 28 seconds.

Edit: Bwahahaha ninja!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    I asked this already in the other thread, but... why are there sometimes two numbers on a single line?

I would guess it's to take into account sometimes it's faster going one direction than the reverse (ie jumping down off platform is going to save you a lot of time)
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Brilliant again Oblivious very good work. These are very helpful when timing out your own map balance wise.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Why didn't I think of that ._.
    Well just finished updating all the official maps finally. See OP for new images.
    I'm pushing this thread up (YES ITS A NECRO DEAL WITH IT) becuase it contains valuable information that should not be buried in the forums. I find this a very helpful guide and thought maybe someone else could need it, too.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @OP
    use Inkscape. It's a free vector drawing tool.

Take the map image as background.
    Draw your stuff.
    CTRL+E to export in png etc...