Why it doesn't make sense to accuse someone of hacking:

Slyfox101Slyfox101 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169370Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Currently, there is no first-person spectator mode in NS2. This feature is coming soon. Until it is available, there is no point in starting speculation about whether or not someone in-game is hacking.

If you have the inclination that someone is hacking, contact a server admin and have them check it out. Calling that person out in-game whilst having no evidence besides their k/d ratio (not evidence 99% of the time) doesn't do any good.

The big issue here is that you have no evidence, whatsoever. A k/d ratio, unless 100/0, is never a good indicator of hacking. Good players are becoming frustrated by constant accusations of hacking, and I can relate.

I highly recommend the next time you see someone you think is hacking, realize that unless there is a server admin that can investigate, there is just no point/proof in accusing them.

Comments

• FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    But there's no point in pointing out the obvious either, because I really don't think when someone calls you a hacker, they did it out of a calm and collected observation. They're frustrated, and they couldn't care less in that instant. Just ignore them?
  • Slyfox101Slyfox101 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169370Members
    Fappuchino wrote: »
    But there's no point in pointing out the obvious either, because I really don't think when someone calls you a hacker, they did it out of a calm and collected observation. They're frustrated, and they couldn't care less in that instant. Just ignore them?

Of course you ignore them, but that doesn't stop them from spamming complaints and getting other people to do the same. I fail to see how this is obvious if people are still accusing others of hacking. Maybe obvious to some.

• ZipstorZipstor Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168229Members
    edited February 2013
    If you really feel like someone is hacking open console and type "sv_status" Take a screenshot and look them up. Most people I look up come clean but I did find one guy with multiple bans from VAC for walling and aimbot.

NS2 ID is different from their Steam ID which can make it very hard tracking someone down, but if it takes a long time to track someone down they are probably not hacking.

Still I am going off their past experiences and have no real proof. Some people are just good.
  • COLSWEETOCOLSWEETO Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183349Members
    I just played a match on the metalgamers.net server where a player went 29-1 one game, and the game previous to that killed me as a skulk stealthed/full stationary in cave where he didn't know where I was. I can confirm to you that there are hacks available
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    A quick search lead me to a site showing this:
    Dal3i.jpg
    There are cheats available for NS2.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The actual chance that you ran into a real cheater is about 0.0000001%. In all of my hours playing NS2 since alpha (1400+), i have seen 2 cheaters. Both of them were in beta. Thats not to say that cheaters dont exist, just that it is an extreme minority and most certainly you just ran into a skilled player.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Good players are becoming frustrated by constant accusations of hacking, and I can relate.

Nah, the truly good players just laugh it off and keep playing.

When I played competitive tfc, I was called a cheater many times, it didn't phase me or frustrate me at all.
    Please don't mistake this thread as a claim that there are no NS2 hacks, of course there are.

You cannot just prove that someone is using them by quoting their K/D.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Slyfox101 wrote: »
    Please don't mistake this thread as a claim that there are no NS2 hacks, of course there are.

You cannot just prove that someone is using them by quoting their K/D.

Agreed, unless the KDR is just plain unrealistic and the marine seems to know where you are at all times and prefires the instant your hitbox turns the corner.

Personally I've only seen one suspicious person in my 500+ hours of NS2.
    Had a kdr of 35 - 2. (Which I've seen from non-hackers)
    But I find it hard to believe that this guy was able to take out a pack of 5 skulks with 1 clip of LMG and pistol. Pistol-whipping skulks that are leap horizontally across his FOV, not missing a single bullet.

But once again... I've only seen one person that I could confidentally say was a hacker, its a tiny itty bitty minority.
    As the game gains more popularity, I hope that UWE can deal with hackers better, somehow. Although inevitably, there will always be hackers. Just join another server imo.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    bERt0r wrote: »
    A quick search lead me to a site showing this:
    There are cheats available for NS2.
    I was going to awesome your post for the sharing picture, but cheating isn't awesome.

Thanks for providing proof though.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I get this pretty often also, I just take it as a compliment now. Clearly you're doing something right if people think you're cheating :). I haven't run into a single cheater (that I could recognize anyway) during 500 hours of play. Although about 200 of those hours were from the beta.
    edited February 2013
    Ohnojojo wrote: »
    stuff

This is exactly the type of attitude that encouraged me to start this thread. Just because 'you don't think' its possible without hacks, doesn't mean its not. Even though you have no credible evidence whatsoever, besides a K/D of 35/2 (which is not hard to achieve in a public game), you are still willing to claim that person is a hacker.

To me it's just ridiculous, and I don't understand how someone's good play bothers you so much that you have to go to the extent of accusing them. There is just no proof, this attitude reminds me of early CS days, where people used to throw around hacker accusations on a regular basis. Every time someone died in a way that they did not fully understand, the hacker accusation was the first thing on their mind. It's becoming nearly that bad in NS2.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2013
    You all forget that hacks can be made more subtle. An aim bot doesn't always have to snap to a target instantly the moment it registers as in sight, it can be programmed with a sight delay and a max turn speed, maybe even a bit of overturn and compensation to make it look all the more realistic. Certainly there are blatant hackers out there, but anyone who actually cares to hide it can do so flawlessly.

Of course, when I see someone dominating a server, getting hacker accusations left and right and generally making the experience unfun for all involved I don't care if they are hacking or not.
  • sedeksedek Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170750Members
    The difference between a really good player and a hacker is academic. In practice, if they are routinely making shots that seem impossible and it's frustrating you, you need to find a different server. Laying out accusations doesn't help, but stating aloud that X player is too good for your tastes before you leave is the kind of open ended statement that makes it clear you think something is afoot, but understand that it could also simply be a huge skill disparity.
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    sedek is correct. From the perspective of a non-pro non-cheating a player, a pro or a cheater are effectively identical. Both will kill you very quickly with incredible aim and precision. Even if someone is cheating, what does it matter to you? You have no way of knowing for sure if they are cheater or pro, so don't concern yourself with it. Concentrate less on complaining and more on improving your own skills, so maybe one day you will be the one accused of cheating.

The only kind of cheating I am worried about is the kind of cheating I have not yet seen. That is if people start doing impossible things like speed hacks to get into hives and take out upgrades or some such. I don't think anyone has seen this kind of cheating in NS2, and it is also so obvious that the perpetrator would be kicked/banned. The problem is that if someone like this got onto a server where there was no admin, then it would ruin the game for many people. They could even troll and follow people to a server. There needs to be some vote/kick or something so that servers can handle problems when admins are not present.
  • sedeksedek Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170750Members
    Apreche2 wrote: »
    The problem is that if someone like this got onto a server where there was no admin, then it would ruin the game for many people. They could even troll and follow people to a server. There needs to be some vote/kick or something so that servers can handle problems when admins are not present.

You don't need hacks to ruin a server. Getting marine comm and recycling every building as soon as the game starts is something I already see a lot of, and every time, it empties the server.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    So you just made this topic to state the obvious.

gj.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    I'll believe it when I spec someone or see video. It would take me ten minutes to make a fake pic. Everyone I see getting accused is just a comp player, and it's always someone who's not very good making the accusation.

My favorite is when someone just looks at K:D and assumes they're cheating. Even if it's just a fade. Oy vey.
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have only seen 3 people who I thought were cheating. The first two joined at the same time, had amazing aim, but didn't seem to know how to play the game.

The other one I had mix feelings about.

In both cases I let an admin know and they used their best judgment in spectator. You can never be fully sure, save anticheat program
    lamb wrote: »
    So you just made this topic to state the obvious.

gj.

People are consistently accusing others of hacking, so just because this is obvious to you, does not mean it is obvious to everyone.

I'm curious as to why this post is even relevant..

• COLSWEETOCOLSWEETO Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183349Members
    sedek is correct. From the perspective of a non-pro non-cheating a player, a pro or a cheater are effectively identical. Both will kill you very quickly with incredible aim and precision. Even if someone is cheating, what does it matter to you? You have no way of knowing for sure if they are cheater or pro, so don't concern yourself with it. Concentrate less on complaining and more on improving your own skills, so maybe one day you will be the one accused of cheating.

The only kind of cheating I am worried about is the kind of cheating I have not yet seen. That is if people start doing impossible things like speed hacks to get into hives and take out upgrades or some such. I don't think anyone has seen this kind of cheating in NS2, and it is also so obvious that the perpetrator would be kicked/banned. The problem is that if someone like this got onto a server where there was no admin, then it would ruin the game for many people. They could even troll and follow people to a server. There needs to be some vote/kick or something so that servers can handle problems when admins are not present.
    Except when a player kills you when you were stationary, cloaked (not revealed) and in a completely arbitrary position as they walk by. Because the game has no visual effect for stealth, this is not a "pro player" issue.
  • lifesfunlifesfun Join Date: 2011-02-24 Member: 83302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I now have about 700 hours. I am not that super good compared to the players I play with, but recently I am getting accused of being a hacker more and more. Some people may have no problem with that but for me it is very annoying because I have worked hard to be where I am at. For your situation here are someways, that maybe I would of predicted you if I were in that situation.

Reasons to become suspicious of skulks:

If I hear a skulk or stop hearing one.
    If he disappears behind a corner
    If that spot is a good hiding spot
    If I look at my map and I havent seen half of the other team for a while. In smaller matches you will actually know who many skulks are in the next room.
    If they have camo I will shoot to scare or shoot in areas in order to hit them so I can see them. Or I call it checking.
    and
    etc... There are soo many other hints you can use.
    It is all about learning how to predict the other players movement once you can aim well.

Like everyone says tell an admin, or press shift+tab go to the recent player list check the profile and look at hours played, or see if they are a good alien as well, or check for clan tags, then look up the clan. Just please don't go around accusing every time you see something impossible happen. Sometimes its just some weird lag bug thing too. Its no fun for the accused, we are just trying to have a fun game like you.

TL;DR: When I watch good players or play with them I would not be able to tell u if they hacked or not by that instance alone.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    COLSWEETO wrote: »

Except when a player kills you when you were stationary, cloaked (not revealed) and in a completely arbitrary position as they walk by. Because the game has no visual effect for stealth, this is not a "pro player" issue.

A pro knows where you are going to be before you do, cloaked or not.
  • SlackeratSlackerat Join Date: 2013-02-25 Member: 183333Members
    edited February 2013
    sedek is correct. From the perspective of a non-pro non-cheating a

Hard to judge in some situations. If you were running and then stealthed nearby, he could have heard you before hand and suspected you were stealth around the corner and just took an experienced guess at where you might be standing. He could have been looking for your teammate who he heard and accidentally hit you instead etc. If you are stealthed and they know you have camo, avoid hiding in obvious spots as they would likely check it.

If for example you were cloaked for awhile already and he was nowhere near you when you stealthed and shot directly at you in the ceiling then it might be suspect.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    I just played a match on the metalgamers.net server where a player went 29-1 one game, and the game previous to that killed me as a skulk stealthed/full stationary in cave where he didn't know where I was. I can confirm to you that there are hacks available

Just curious, are you aware there is a bug that when shift walking and you change surfaces you actually are audible to every one else yet you make no noise from your pov? Shift walk from the wall to the floor and you'll make a noise the other team can hear (and potentially easily locate) while you remaining 100% silent from your end.

Also, take note to how far away you can actually hear players. Far too many times I hear skulks well around the corner and in a few spots on every map its just painfully obvious where they will be.

Using rich infestation is also a cause of a lot of rage from new players where they think they are hidden from view above or around a door frame but using minimal infestation you actually are clearly visible.

I could go on and on (scans hard to see in alien vision, the fact you show up on the map when the player may not have looked directly at you, ect..). So just because you think you were hidden doesn't mean you were.... Its a absolute silly reason to call hacks..

Not gonna even touch the 29-1 comment. Just be prepared to change your pants when some one goes 50-1. :D