Question about terrain deformation after 24th January

lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
Hey, guys.

I have a question that really concerns me: since terraforming is finally going to be removed (which I didn't liked at all), is the terrain deformation around the base pieces also going to disappear? I mean, I have made a huge glass base that connected the safe shallows cave systems and uses the natural purple lighting of it. I really love to spend time there just to admire all the creatures and plants around me and that wouldn't be possible without the terrain adjusting to my base pieces.

Not only that, but in the array island I also have a base that connects the beach to the teleporter room and undewater cave system. My first base ever is at the floating island and it is about 80% inside the mountain. My only base that didn't use any kind of terrain deformation is in the lost river, but I planned to link it to the ghost tree cave by a tunnel with an observatory at the end just so I could see all those ghost rays swimming around from the safety of an oxygen filled room.

If some dev could answer me, I would be glad to know if I can at least visit my bases safely after the next update or if I should just stop updating my game before it is too late...
Thanks.

Comments

• HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Yes, you will no longer be able to build base pieces which cut into land.
  • lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    edited January 2017
    Thanks, thats sad. So much potential lost...

Is there a way to prevent future updates to happen? I would like to lock on this version, for now at least.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    lucashc90 wrote: »

Is there a way to prevent future updates to happen? I would like to lock on this version, for now at least.

Since you do own it, I don't think it would be unethical to .. acquire the last version to have terraforming still enabled.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Be prepared to deal with lots of structural supports on the Multipurpose Rooms and Corridors. If a Multipurpose Room or Corridor is 10 meters or less from the ground, then structural supports will be automatically generated.
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    lucashc90 wrote: »

Tell steam to not update the game?
    I wonder if the devs could leave terraforming in but switch it off, and have a debug command to re-enable it for that save.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    No, too much coding for the time they have and for their deadlines. If they push the deadlines further, developing the game would cost more. The staff have worked on the game relentlessly for 2 years now, I think they will want a good break soon. Also, I think they plan to reduce the amount of structural supports that will be used in connected pieces as per their concept art so it doesn't get too messy. A lot of potential wasted? Nah, just figure ways around it and it also stops all of the beautiful fauna from being destroyed - stuff will stay pristine. In addition, a lot less lag.

^ This post replies to above posts from bottom to top :tongue:
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    You can just copy the files from your Steam folder to another location, then you'll be able to keep the older version.
    SP_Kenny wrote: »
    Tell steam to not update the game?
    Unchecking the uptade option on Steam does nothing but delay the updates to the next time you run the game.
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    A lot of potential wasted? Nah, just figure ways around it and it also stops all of the beautiful fauna from being destroyed - stuff will stay pristine. In addition, a lot less lag.
    Potential is lost once you cannot work around simple changes to the enviroment: instead of a straight corridor connecting 2 buildings, you will have to zig-zag your way from point A to point B, which is not only aesthetically unpleasant but upsetting to travel between. Also, build an entire base only to discover that the moonpool doesn't fit where you need it to be because of a chunk of dirt not bigger than a golf ball (which the absence would not destroy the beautiful fauna that much) is counterproductive at best. The lag this game gives is mostly due to the poor way the save files are optimized... anyone who played SPORE before knows that its not how many changes to the world, but how this changes are stored and read in the long term. Maybe their rush to finish the game is impairing their advances in this area?
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Since you do own it, I don't think it would be unethical to .. acquire the last version to have terraforming still enabled.
    I think it would be ethical to acquire the last update version, since support is already given to the development team, but I'm curious as copying the game folder would work.
    I wonder if the devs could leave terraforming in but switch it off, and have a debug command to re-enable it for that save.
    Terraforming should be an option, since many PC users (myself included) can handle the stress generated by a 3gb savefile, but then again, remove terraforming is the cheapest and fastest way around the badly compressed data on the save files.
    You can just copy the files from your Steam folder to another location, then you'll be able to keep the older version.

No DRM? If so, why isn't Subnautica out on GOG yet? Or NS2? /end nag
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members

No DRM? If so, why isn't Subnautica out on GOG yet? Or NS2? /end nag

I really don't think so, or if it's been implemented then it was only within the last update. If I remember correctly, it was doable as recently as the PRAWN update.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited January 2017
    Terraforming won't actually be fully removed next update, so you can still cheat in a Terraformer if you want and remove ground that way. Because of terraforming still being in the game any terrain modifications made before this update will still be there.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I don't know if it helps you any, but my built into terrain base didn't get destroyed after terraforming was removed on experimental. Can't say if it's going to be the same once the feature gets removed on normal, but for now my buildings remained intact and the terrain that was removed around them did not "fill up". The game does seem to be lagging a little bit more, though, but maybe that's just a coincidence.
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Terraforming won't actually be fully removed next update, so you can still cheat in a Terraformer if you want and remove ground that way. Because of terraforming still being in the game any terrain modifications made before this update will still be there.
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    I don't know if it helps you any, but my built into terrain base didn't get destroyed after terraforming was removed on experimental. Can't say if it's going to be the same once the feature gets removed on normal, but for now my buildings remained intact and the terrain that was removed around them did not "fill up". The game does seem to be lagging a little bit more, though, but maybe that's just a coincidence.

I can only hope you guys are right. *crossing fingers*