VR is a mistake??

RhysRhys US Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227103Members
Don't get me wrong, it'd be amazing, and I've got a machine that should be able to run it. But...isn't that so drastically different than the Subnautica we have now? To put it simply: are they not spread a little thin?
There's still plenty of work to do on the traditional version, imho. Optimization for one. (I don't know why but the first 30 hours MAYBE three crashes, now I can't go thirty minutes: STABLE)

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Hi Rhys

I agree with everything you say here. I can't imagine that there are many VR players at the moment, so it would have made more sense to get the "normal" version completed first, then look at the VR version. However, I have no understanding of computer coding so perhaps it's not much more work to convert it to VR and work on that alongside the real version. Or perhaps, yes it is much more work, but they are preparing for VR (and XBox) as they go along. I am looking forward to the PS4 version.
  • newzilla7newzilla7 Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227106Members
    edited January 2017
    Yes, VR is a huge project. I'm actually amazed the devs are even attempting it at this stage; props to them!

I don't have enough experience to speak to specifics, but I have dabbled in VR coding before. There are two issues: first, technical, and second, gameplay/design.

VR headsets are incredibly high resoulution, 2-4 times what you get on a normal computer. Not only that, the high FOV means more needs to be rendered. Not only that, while normal players can operate with 30-60 FPS, VR headsets require 90+ for stable experiences. This roughly doubles computer load for graphics. Given that the game already struggles on normal computers - to be expected at this stage of development - VR performance is a big problem.

Gameplay-wise, VR requires completely different controls and design choices. For example, the HUD being stuck to the screen doesn't work well in VR; currently, I can't see the depth indicator without straining my eyes because it's too high, and moves with my head. This will need to change at some point. Another example is interaction and controls; depending on the toolkit, some of this is automated, but you're forced to accept 3 control types: keyboard+mouse, gamepad, and VR+gamepad where you select stuff by looking at it. One more thing: motion sickness is an issue. The devs recently changed some reefback behavior to prevent quick spinning, partially because this causes sickness in VR.

So yeah, VR is a huge project and it will likely be a while before it's on par with the normal experience. I'm sure it'll be amazing when it's done!
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    In a word, yes.

In more words, it sucks when devs put time/resources/manpower/whatever towards alternate platforms when the main branch isn't complete.
    In the case of Subnautica, even console versions should only be developed/ported once the PC version is completely finished. Sorry console players, but you're holding up everyone else's enjoyment.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited January 2017
    Gotta agree that VR should have been an after thought and done post v1.0. As for console release other game companies have done games before where they developed the game for more than one platform at a time. Skyrim is a good example. Though it slows the development progress down for the main platform of what it's being developed on. In the past 2-3 years the devs have turned their focus from the game being mainly a computer game to a multi-platform game and because of it the main platform they developed it on has suffered. Imho the removal of terraforming because it caused save game size bloat and several concepts and creatures being cut from the game, ect, ect. Although there are similarities between the PC version and Xbox since Xbox consoles are made by a company that majors in PC's. I think that is why the devs chose to do a Xbox console version of the game and why they aren't focusing on a Playstation console port because the software between Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's Playstaion are quite a bit different compared to one another.
  • hackyhacky wierden, NL Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227121Members
    Hi fellows. As a professional unity3D VR developer (Subnautica is built in unity3D) and Subnautica player since last December, I can say that making a game VR-ready is simply marking a checkbox. Unity3D is a 3D authoring environment+engine which is developed by more than 100 employees, who have done all the hard work to enable this awesome VR stuff.
    I guess The implementation of VR in Subnautica is still very bad because the devs did not do much more than just enabling VR.
    I hope that they fix the VR, but I agree that the main gameplay should be better first.

BTW: the VR feature is already so good that exploring the sea in a seamoth in VR and suddenly getting caught by a reaper can traumatize children for life. :( Trust me, I know.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I might have to purchase a VR device myself then.
    Anything that traumatizes children is something I want to be a part of.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    hacky wrote: »
    Hi fellows. As a professional unity3D VR developer (Subnautica is built in unity3D) and Subnautica player since last December, I can say that making a game VR-ready is simply marking a checkbox. Unity3D is a 3D authoring environment+engine which is developed by more than 100 employees, who have done all the hard work to enable this awesome VR stuff.
    I guess The implementation of VR in Subnautica is still very bad because the devs did not do much more than just enabling VR.
    I hope that they fix the VR, but I agree that the main gameplay should be better first.

BTW: the VR feature is already so good that exploring the sea in a seamoth in VR and suddenly getting caught by a reaper can traumatize children for life. :( Trust me, I know.

@hacky Can you recommend a good PC VR thing ... errr... device, whatever it's called. :D Thank you.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited January 2017
    Myrm wrote: »

@hacky Can you recommend a good PC VR thing ... errr... device, whatever it's called. :D Thank you.

Pretty much all the VR headsets are expensive, Steam's HTC is close to 800 dollars. Occulus Rift is close to 800 if you include the hand controllers. HTC is newer while Occulus is the original company that started the whole VR headset thing before Facebook went and purchased the company. This is as far as I know but I think Rift has been at it longer and therefore probably has better VR tech.

http://www.pcmag.com/article/342537/the-best-virtual-reality-vr-headsets
    edited January 2017
    @Myrm
    Htc vive.
    ======
    Pros:
    -roomscale (4x4m sapce out of the box)
    -tracked controllers (picking up stuff in VR and interacting with it)
    cons:
    -no integrated audio (bring your own headset)
    -bulky controllers

Oculus Rift.
    =======
    pros:
    -integrated audio
    -lighter and more rigid headset
    -light controllers that really feel like part of your hands.
    -shipped with an xbox one controller
    cons:
    -more expensive with controllers
    -not-so-much roomscale (It's better suited to use standing at one spot.)

The better controllers of the Rift can't make up for the roomscale of the Vive in my opinion. Only if you primarily want to use your VR games seated, I'd recommend the Oculus rift though. Oculus is also working on improving the scale by adding more sensors. They cost $100 each though...

Oculus has recently started shipping controllers to the Netherlands and we have 2 rifts and 2 Vives now for about 8 months, but the Rifts haven't been unpacked yet. Without controllers they are worthless compared to the Vive.
    @newzilla7
    I overlooked your post. Good summary on some of the VR gameplay issues!

I think it's good to have a small team working on VR though. Like you said, the movements should be subtle, the interfaces have to be thoughtful and a lot of things we don't think of has to be built right into the core of the game. You can't rush in VR at the end. Let's hope they do it right and slowly because I am on the forums right now and not playing because the (non-VR) game is hanging and crashing all the time.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @newzilla7
    I overlooked your post. Good summary on some of the VR gameplay issues!

I think it's good to have a small team working on VR though. Like you said, the movements should be subtle, the interfaces have to be thoughtful and a lot of things we don't think of has to be built right into the core of the game. You can't rush in VR at the end. Let's hope they do it right and slowly because I am on the forums right now and not playing because the (non-VR) game is hanging and crashing all the time.

Have you tried clearing the terrain cache? See the first line of my sig. Also run from an SSD if possible. Bunch of other useful stuff in the sig, give it a read-through, and, if you have any feedback, don't hesitate to mention it.
    Wow, that did the trick! I only deleted the cache files. It also reset all the resources in the terrain, but Ill take that for credit. Awesome!

Now the devs may move on to VR. haha
  • Junky_JykeJunky_Jyke Join Date: 2017-01-23 Member: 227142Members
    edited January 2017
    Just some little effort and basically VR is done. They only have to

-make scalable UI to make it fit the screen.
    -increase PDA text size a little bit for readability.
    -move PDA a litte more far from the face.
    -fix camera center position in seamoth and other vehicles.
    -fix the toolbar going out of eye convergence (sort of) when assigning items

The rest is shared with the non VR game, like graphics optimization, performance, stability, bugs and so on. As you can see there's not that huge need of work to do to make it VR ready.

Oh and I have zero motion sickness. I can even play standing up, without balance loss while moving with my xbox controller... wow...
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited January 2017
    In my opinion. The hardest part of VR is the ethics of design. Google actually put together a nice demo VR sequence to teach you these lessons. Like, making people incredibly motion sick! All in all it's a list of do's and do not's.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    It might spread them a bit thin but I think it will be worth it in the end. Pretty much every VR game I've seen so far (which is admittedly, not that many) has been very... gimmicky? There are cool things, but they are very much limited to a handful of mechanics. Having such a large game worthy of the AAA title in VR like subnautica is going to be absolutely amazing and may really give the industry a push for VR if the release goes well.

I may be entirely wrong, but this game done right, and done right in VR could be a turning point for the industry.

Just my two cents, someone correct me if I'm horrendously wrong.
  • Junky_JykeJunky_Jyke Join Date: 2017-01-23 Member: 227142Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    It might spread them a bit thin but I think it will be worth it in the end. Pretty much every VR game I've seen so far (which is admittedly, not that many) has been very... gimmicky? There are cool things, but they are very much limited to a handful of mechanics. Having such a large game worthy of the AAA title in VR like subnautica is going to be absolutely amazing and may really give the industry a push for VR if the release goes well.

I may be entirely wrong, but this game done right, and done right in VR could be a turning point for the industry.

Just my two cents, someone correct me if I'm horrendously wrong.

You are correct. VR industry is in an egg and hen nonsensical stasis. There are tons of low content/mediocre development indie titles and very few good titles out there. And SN is one of the best VR ready videogames, a model to look at (Elite: Dangerous is the other one in my experience). It seems that triple A houses are still waiting for positive signs from VR market, but until they see big numbers, they will hold on. Fact is that all depends on what indie game producers will be able to put together in the near future.

That's why SN devs should keep up with VR and make it shine. And don't forget that a VR optimized game will run as a Formula 1 on non VR systems ;)
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Upper Hutt NZ Join Date: 2017-01-28 Member: 227347Members
    @Myrm
    Htc vive.
    ======
    Pros:
    cons:
    -bulky controllers

Oculus Rift.
    =======
    pros:
    -integrated audio
    cons:

The better controllers of the Rift can't make up for the roomscale of the Vive in my opinion. Only if you primarily want to use your VR games seated, I'd recommend the Oculus rift though. Oculus is also working on improving the scale by adding more sensors. They cost $100 each though...

Oculus has recently started shipping controllers to the Netherlands and we have 2 rifts and 2 Vives now for about 8 months, but the Rifts haven't been unpacked yet. Without controllers they are worthless compared to the Vive.

The Rift has been able to do room scale since the beginning, with a single sensor you can cover usually about a 10 foot square area without a problem. Now with touch controllers you need a second sensor for when your body is between the Touch controllers and the front sensor. But that works flawlessly so far for me. You can easily cover an area as large as the cord from the HMD will reach, it's BS saying the Rift is seated only, it wasn't even accurate BEFORE the Touch was released.

I've stopped playing Subnautica because playing it in the Rift is so much better than on a flat screen, if the Oculus Home version isn't going to be updated then I'm not wasting space on my SSD.
    Maybe you have a smaller room then? The rift has a cone shaped "room". With a cable, which is 4m long, connected to the back of the PC gives you a square 2x2m walking space. That is not enough to explore spaces, but to stand, crouch, ceach and jump. Exactly what the camera system was intended for.
    @TwoHedWlf
    Now that I read your post again I think that we both miss out on the term "standing vr". That is between room scale and seated.

But why do you stop playing because vr is better? Do you think the vr version is not going to be updated and what had it to do with your ssd? I completely don't understand anything of you last line.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Upper Hutt NZ Join Date: 2017-01-28 Member: 227347Members
    Maybe you have a smaller room then? The rift has a cone shaped "room". With a cable, which is 4m long, connected to the back of the PC gives you a square 2x2m walking space. That is not enough to explore spaces, but to stand, crouch, ceach and jump. Exactly what the camera system was intended for.

You know USB extensions exist, right? In the corners with their about 90° field of view You could manage out to about 10X10 meter area if you have that much area, though you'll get occlusion problems at that distance, that can be resolved with a 3 sensor setup.
    But why do you stop playing because vr is better? Do you think the vr version is not going to be updated and what had it to do with your ssd? I completely don't understand anything of you last line.
    Because Unknownworlds is rubbish at updating the Oculus Home version. Last time I checked it was 2 versions behind Steam. So...DELETE.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    TwoHedWlf wrote: »

You know USB extensions exist, right? In the corners with their about 90° field of view You could manage out to about 10X10 meter area if you have that much area, though you'll get occlusion problems at that distance, that can be resolved with a 3 sensor setup.
    Because Unknownworlds is rubbish at updating the Oculus Home version. Last time I checked it was 2 versions behind Steam. So...DELETE.

There was apparently a problem between UWE and Occulus Home store, which IIRC has been resolved a long time ago (corrupted update or something, IIRC). Pretty sure Steam and Occulus update at the same time as it's essentially the same thing.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    @Myrm
    Htc vive.
    ======
    Pros:
    cons:
    -bulky controllers

Oculus Rift.
    =======
    pros:
    -integrated audio
    cons:

No offence but if you're going to list pros and cons, please do research or own at least one of the HMD's. If you don't own the other of the two, don't spread false info. Rift w/ Touch does 3mx3m room scale just fine. I know, I do it every day. " better suited for standing in one spot". I mean come on.
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited February 2017

That's why you buy a 5 meter extension cable. The sensor with Touch comes with one 5 meter extension. Again, stop spreading nonsense. It goes without saying if you just plop two sensors on your desk you aren't going to have a good 360 set up. And it's valid criticism that the Rift costs slightly more for a 360 room scale set up as you need at least one extra 5 meter extension and a third sensor. But Don't say it isn't a easily feasible option that I dare to say most users are doing.
    I have all three sensors upside down on the ceiling in a triangle formation making a area just shy of 3m x 3m. I even went and bought a $30 Vive Link Box to extend the HMD cable ( passive extensions don't tend to work).
    I have a play space the same size as most Vive users ( remember people with a play space larger than 3x3 are a very small minority anyways so the Vive's superior tracking distance is often moot), and can play any VR game on the market.

You write from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the Rift or someone determined to leave out important info.
    please keep it decent and relaxed okay? I don't say it isn't a easily feasible option to buy a Rift.
    The pros and cons are simple facts and all the rest is simply my opinion.

I do own 2 items of both brands.
    I am indeed unfamiliair with the extra sensorcamera for the rift. It might be a lot better with that, but until then it just isn't roomscale. Let's call it "rugscale", okay?
    Let's leave everyone's room space out of the equation. Fact is that the Vive has a bigger scale out of the box. I leave it up to the reader's choice to decide if that pro is in their advantage. Extension cables, extra sensors, etc. will probably make the Rift a more favored system for me too. The pricetag however might put me down.