Base slowly breaking (I know about hull integrity)

DripdryDripdry Georgia Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226041Members
Hi:

I've had a great time playing this game, but after adding a moonpool to my main base in safe shallows the whole thing is slowly breaking apart. Hull integrity says it's well over 20, and I even added a reinforcement to the moonpool itself; no dice.
Part of the base does cut into the rock (the new feature where base parts clear away terrain to fit in, which I quite like), but that's the only thing I can can think of that could be causing slow damage over time, if that's even a thing?

Would pictures help?

Is there any way to use the console to monitor base health?

Thanks

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited January 2017
    You might just be accidentally hitting your base with a sub. That can make it flood.

If you're not, I have no idea, it might be a bug.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    Check all of your rooms, you might have missed a spot to weld.

I had a lower-level Multipurpose room spring a leak after accidentally stabbing a mushroom with my knife near a foundation, and even though the computer said everything was fine, it had one hole that I missed and needed to be fixed.

Also, They are taking the Terrain Modification aspect OUT of the game, so don't get to use to it.

B)
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Also, They are taking the Terrain Modification aspect OUT of the game, so don't get to use to it.

B)

Already been removed in experimental, though crashfishs exploding and causing terrain destruction hasn't been removed yet.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »

B)

Already been removed in experimental, though crashfishs exploding and causing terrain destruction hasn't been removed yet.

True, but he is apparently playing in the Stable branch, which hasn't had it removed yet and there has been no in-game warning about this.

So many folks who probably don't read the forums very often (or at all), are most likely not aware of this coming major change to the game.

(note this is his First post in the forums)

B)
  • NimmanuNimmanu NH, USA Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226681Members
    I know it's not supposed to spring a leak until it's below zero, but that isn't accurate in my experience. The larger your base, the higher that number needs to go. One of my bases starts to leak around 300. No, not 3.0, that's 300. I have another really huge base that has a rating of 700. It never leaks, so I'm not sure what its threshold is, but the one that leaks at 300 is pretty consistent. I have to place reinforcements pretty quickly if I place something that takes it below that.

So don't trust the whole "has to fall below zero" to leak thing. It's extremely inaccurate.
  • DripdryDripdry Georgia Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226041Members
    Thanks! Yes, that was my first post here. Thank you for the kind suggestions.
    I'll check some of the less-used rooms, and I had a strange hunch about hull integrity re: the higher number/size so i'm glad light was shed on that; I'll keep building and try to keep track of this stuff. It seemed strange that I could build a sizable base and only need a little reinforcement.

I had no idea that terraforming was part of simply building a base module; I thought it was a piece of equipment (which I wasn't interested in, didn't want to cheat) which changed the terrain.
    In that case, and it's probably been covered elsewhere, will my base be explodey come the patch removing terraforming on the 24th?

I know the team is busy, but shouldn't they have some sort of snarky ride-along tutorial for players that talks to us more often than just saying that "this biome meets 7 of 9 criteria for being objectively creepy" and stuff? I'm sure the community would be happy to write up and submit text for the different parts of it... but this has probably been covered ad nauseum.

Anyhew, I'm super into this game, which hasn't happened in a couple years. Looking forward to lots more exploration!
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Is there a Gasopod or poisonous mushrooms around? The noxious gas damages your structures. Or it did.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    It is possible that it is localized hull integrity that matters and not base hull integrity once a base reaches a certain size. So you might have the total hull integrity at 300, but parts of it are actually at -20 due to not properly reinforcing the local area. Especially, when players get extremely creative with their bases that defy physics or requires the use of unrealistic building materials like having a glass corridor that goes from the Lifepod to the Aurora. Since we can only rely on the total hull integrity, then we can't easily determine where the problems are. Of course, that is an issue of gameplay vs. realism. Realism requires local hull integrity while gameplay requires total hull integrity since we shouldn't need to be a Structural Engineer to build an interesting and stable base.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    I thought a recent update made it so creatures would attack your base more often the larger you made it or is that no longer the case?
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I have built a very large base before and have yet to get attacked. So I am unsure what the threshold is for triggering that event.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    pie1055 wrote: »
    I thought a recent update made it so creatures would attack your base more often the larger you made it or is that no longer the case?

I don't think creatures have ever attacked your base.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited January 2017
    I never personally looked into it myself. Have heard about such a phenomenon, but as I said, haven't dealt with anything of the sort yet.
    -- edit --
    On Trello it seems they are planning to release it as a v1.0 update called "Creature Attack". Though I am unsure if that is still the case. Trello confuses me a bit.
    https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    The closest I've had to a creature attack was when a stalker wrenched a camera drone out of the scanning room, causing floods.
    GFMV5AY.jpg
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    Also, tiger plants like to shoot their spikes at base structures, if they're in range, and might cause leaks over time...