Map & Mapping

AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
Can a dev answer on this post regarding a future implementation please?

The Seamoth has a scanner upgrade module which when activated scans the environment using sonar I presume. Can/Would you be considering this feature to create a map of the terrain for the player to use?

How I think the implementation can be done:

The scanner room is a nice addition to your base, but the con to this is that it is stationary and the range is not that awesome for large surface scanning. It also does not have a saved scan for you to view. It would be a great feature to use the Seamoth module to scan areas and then download the data to the scanner room to compile a map. It does not have to be detailed like viewing the world from the players perspective. It can remain in the grid 3D format.

Bear in mind that I do not have any knowledge of coding and my suggestion is purely from a perspective of what is already in the game and how it could be enhanced. You are most welcome to school me in the difficulty scale of such an implementation.

Thanks

Comments

• SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    This would be a very nice addition, though I would also suggest the ability to download the compiled map from the scanner to the players pda so you a on the go reference, but still need to rtb in order to update the map with newly explored sectors.
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    we have a Radar room that should have some type of mapping by scanning with those Drone Cameras... Also the SeaGlide has a little map, i'd like to use it as a mapping tool.

• AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    Silveressa wrote: »
    This would be a very nice addition, though I would also suggest the ability to download the compiled map from the scanner to the players pda so you a on the go reference, but still need to rtb in order to update the map with newly explored sectors.

Yes, I did have the same idea in mind. Having said that, the PDA screen is rather limited in size, so scrolling on the PDA screen would have to be created ... OR ... simply, have a specific area downloaded to your PDA (like you get when you buy a map of a specific area irl) for use when you get there.

Placing markers/beacons in the Scanner Room will allow you to find that specific point when traveling with your PDA.

Another nice feature the Seamoth module can save when scanning, is the location of minerals/fragments and or the option to have creature eggs/hazardous organisms location. Now, not to make it too easy, it would be realistic to have those locations degrade over time. You will then have to return to that area to re-scan to update the locations of said interests.

Feedback and ideas are welcome :)
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    The devs have they probably wont be adding a map to the game seeing as players have already downloaded these maps and put them in picture frames.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited January 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    The devs have they probably wont be adding a map to the game seeing as players have already downloaded these maps and put them in picture frames.

what if it was a live feed map with complete a topographical 3d display that showed your current location be it base or sub (realistically I'd think you'd be limited to the Cyclops having a map console upgrade).