How about variables for translation/translation files?

BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
I came up with this Idea since I started translating parts of the german Version!

What I mean is that we just have to translate the MAIN-Entry and then use that as a variable for other text where you also can find that Name!

Here a example what I mean bc it is hard to explain that with words:
(Example is given with the Stalker)

MAIN would be:
Stalker (that is the variable or Name for the game)

Stalker (that will be shown in game and is changeable, so if I type here just "Fish" the game would type/Show Fish anytime "Stalker" is pointed)

So that is NOT the only Entry of the Stalker and if you translate it to you languange you have to type/translate the COMPLETE text just to Change Stalker with anything you decided to call it!

You also have:

StalkerTooth

Stalker tooth

Ency_Stalker

Stalker

StalkerEgg

Stalker egg

Tooltip_StalkerEgg

Stalker hatch from These

Ency_StalkerTooth

Stalker Behavior and Physiology

and many more...

If you now Change the Name Stalker to Metalfish you have to Change also ALL other texts and implement them again!
If you Change Stalker to crocodilemouth you have to Change ALL texts again...

If you now could use {} or [] as example it would look like this:

StalkerTooth

{Stalker} tooth

Ency_Stalker

{Stalker}

StalkerEgg

{Stalker} egg

Tooltip_StalkerEgg

{Stalker} hatch from These

Ency_StalkerTooth

{Stalker} Behavior and Physiology

If you now CHANGE the main and JUST the main entry it would also Change all texts because you can now use a variable!!!
So if you now Change Stalker to Metalfish it would also put that (or better Show that) in the other texts that you don't have to Change because using variables!

Hope anyone gets what I mean?

Comments

• smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    I'm not really getting your idea. What are the advantages of your suggestion.
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    I try to explain it again with our german translation (again with the stalker)

If you go to the "Instructions" on the translation Site you can see on that picture that Number 7 and 8 are explained as follows:

Stalker = Original string key. It's used as an internal identifier to distinguish given string.
    Stalker = Original string text. It's the actual string that needs to be translated.

In the German translation we translated it like this:

Stalker
    Pirscher

If we now could use just the Stalker like {Stalker} or [Stalker] we only had to translate the main one and all other textfiles (translations) would be automatically updated with the new translation!!!

Like this:

StalkerTooth
    {Stalker}zahn

Ency_Stalker
    {Stalker}

StalkerEgg
    {Stalker} Ei

Tooltip_StalkerEgg
    Daraus schlüpfen {Stalker}

Ency_stalkerTooth
    {Stalker}verhalten & -körperbau

So if you can use {Stalker} in this form as Variable it would change the translation from the main "Stalker" everywhere with "Pirscher"!!!
    If we say that "Pirscher" isn't good let us name him "Metalldieb" then we just have to change:

Stalker
    Metalldieb

and everywhere we placed the variable {Stalker} the system would change it now with Metalldieb!!!
    Hope that it is now clear?
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    Yepp. Thx for the explanation :)