Tips for Begginers(Add yours)

kubazet99kubazet99 Czech Republic Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221450Members
Hi
Im starting this discusion for help with beginigs.In this discusion you can post you tips and tricks with others.
Example for me:When you are have a peeper in hands,stalkers dont hurt you,they just eat a peeper.
Now you!

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    When you are swimming, you swim faster when you're not holding your gear in your hands. You can put your item away temporarily ("shift" on PC) or permanently ("e" on PC). That's one of many swimming tips, but I'll let others fill in the rest :smile:
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Don't bother with the garryfish (yellow and orange fish) as food, they are terrible.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Prioritize making the scanner, knife, oxygen tank (you can have more than one for extra oxygen, but you'll be slowed down by the extra weight), and fins.

Once you have the knife, prepare yourself a water ration by collecting salt and cutting away at the coral tubes (good for 10+ samples), fabricating that to bleach, and fabricating that to water. About six bottles every round should have you covered (approx three days) and not burden your storage, time, or energy supply.

Do not make the rad suit or compass, but rather collect them at lifepods 6 and 7, which you should get the signals for soon enough. They are priority items, so get them asap.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Water is wet, build a sub!

Also make sure to avoid the terrifying sounds at first, they are... Well, see @ResolutionBlaze for further details...
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited December 2016
    You don't need a giant super base. A few X connectors can server as a great base for a LONG time.

Also you need 1 diamond REALLY badly for that cutting tool. Mountain island has plenty and doesn't require you to dive 500 meters down.

Air sack is a great item to have until you have a submarine.

Seaglide is bad.

A single poke with a knife is usually enough to make a point... most predators will go away after they get jabbed once.

Knife doesn't hit instantly... if you see biters charging in, attack ahead of time with a bit of practice you can be almost predator immune.

Visit floating island sooner rather then later... those melons... oh those melons.

Do yourself a favor and spend a little time repairing Auroras drive core... not having radiation is really really nice.

Don't put things outside your base too close to structures that are still getting something built in/around... nothing more annoying then losing a thermal reactor because you built a chair in a room close to that thermal reactor.

You can breed crashfish and then use propulsion cannon like a makeshift rocket launcher.(not very beginerrish tip but ROCKET LAUNCHER)

Crabsquids love flashlights.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but with the "Beginners" title, I thought this would be the right place to ask. So my question, how on earth do you make a discussion on this forum? I cannot for the life of me figure it out, and it's making me feel stupid. Help would be appreciated. I apologize once more for going off topic.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Use planeters and purple brain plant as a elevator into deeper biomes
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Skope wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but with the "Beginners" title, I thought this would be the right place to ask. So my question, how on earth do you make a discussion on this forum? I cannot for the life of me figure it out, and it's making me feel stupid. Help would be appreciated. I apologize once more for going off topic.

4c4yfvq4gxmr.png
    ND.PNG 981.8K
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

4c4yfvq4gxmr.png

Thank you so much, it means a lot.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited December 2016

No problem, you're not the first to ask.
    I think the button must simply be so obvious it's hiding in plain sight.

I think the button must be simply be so obvious it's hiding in plain sight.

Yeah, honestly, I'd never even seen that page before. But it seems so simple to find in retrospect.

Yeah, honestly, I'd never even seen that page before. But it seems so simple to find in retrospect.

Okay, so I have to ask, how were you browsing the forum if not using this page?
    forums.unknownworlds.com/categories/subnautica-general-discussion
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2016
    The ever-present "if you're holding something in your hand, you'll swim slower, and that includes swimming up and down".

Swimming up or down at an angle (instead of straight up or down) makes it take longer to reach the depths / surface. Don't drown because you didn't aim straight up.

Stalkers like shiny things, so don't pull your knife 'just in case' -- they'll come investigate.

O2 tank stacking but slowing you down has been mentioned, so I'll just say: make like 7 total and stick all but 2 in lockers, to be used for deep diving / exploring large wrecks when necessary (keep them and extra batteries for the SeaGlide in the lower lockers of the Cyclops when you get one).

You can pick things up while using the SeaGlide.

Most light sources on motorized equipment can be turned on / off to save battery.

You can put battery chargers in the Cyclops.

You can put power cell chargers in the Cyclops and it will charge them faster than it will drain the power cells it is using.

Left trigger on the controller catches fish so you don't have to let go of your pitch thumbstick to hit 'A'.

EDIT: Oh, and the vehicle modification station is a different item than the modification station.

Okay, so I have to ask, how were you browsing the forum if not using this page?
    forums.unknownworlds.com/categories/subnautica-general-discussion

I always came to the archive pages, not the General Discussions pages.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    O2 tank stacking but slowing you down has been mentioned, so I'll just say: make like 7 total and stick all but 2 in lockers, to be used for deep diving / exploring large wrecks when necessary (keep them and extra batteries for the SeaGlide in the lower lockers of the Cyclops when you get one).

Oh, this reminded me of a question and I figured I'd ask it before I leave for the night- Does the seaglide bring your speed up to the same number, regardless of airtanks? Or does it simply add the speed boost to the base swim speed with airtanks? Basically what I'm getting at is: will you swim at the same speed with the seaglide when you have 7 tanks as you do when you have 0 tanks? I don't know why I thought this was logical, but I think it would make the seaglide far more useful

Oh, this reminded me of a question and I figured I'd ask it before I leave for the night- Does the seaglide bring your speed up to the same number, regardless of airtanks? Or does it simply add the speed boost to the base swim speed with airtanks? Basically what I'm getting at is: will you swim at the same speed with the seaglide when you have 7 tanks as you do when you have 0 tanks? I don't know why I thought this was logical, but I think it would make the seaglide far more useful

Don't know. I do know extreme depths slow both swimming and the SeaGlide down, but the SeaGlide is still faster (as is to be expected, lol).

The SeaGlide is really meant to be used for either quick trips, or with at lease 2 or 3 spare batteries (which isn't a big deal when you get a battery charger, especially one in the Cyclops).
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited December 2016

I believe the seaglide functions independently from tanks and fins.

Advanced beginners guide:
    • Understand that Subnautica is a game in Early Access. It is still in development and gets tweaked constantly. If something doesn't work the way it does in YTer's LP or as it did a month ago, odds are it has been changed and a different approach is required.
    • Never forget you can freely exchange and take out batteries. Stuck with no more energy in your habitat builder? Consider exchanging the battery for the welder's that you're currently not using. No battery to create a laser cutter? Take the one from your seaglide and put it back only if you need the latter again.
    • If your vehicle can't reach a certain depth, you can swim the remaining distance.
    • The seamoth's power cell is located in the back. Swim behind the vehicle to exchange it.
    • You can pick up the Mobile Vehicle Bay after deploying it. Simply stand on top and look down at your feet to get the option.
    • It's a little tricky, but you can jump on the handles of the Mobile Vehicle Bay and from them on the controls. You can use this to get atop corridors built just above sea level if you need to.
    • You can repair a vehicle parked inside the moon pool. Just don't aim at the module panel and you'll get the option.
    • The water filtration machine always works to make a supply of two pieces of salt and two bottles of water. If you only take out the water, it will only produce more water. If you only take out the salt, it will only produce more salt. Use this to manage what the device produces and not get stuck with a surplus of a supply you don't need.
    • Acid mushrooms and deep shrooms will cause a chain explosion if one is cut that is very close to others. Never slash at a bed of them.
    • Be mindful where you place a beacon. Fauna won't attack it, but they can move it when they swim into it. Place it somewhere where it can't or is unlikely to be moved.
    • In case of the stasis rifle, if your aim is not up to standards, do not shoot at creatures but rather a surface within their aggro range. Swim inside and let them come to you and get stuck that way. This is the easier method to scan a reaper atm.
    • No kelp species will grow to full length inside an alien containment unit unless you've got two built on top of each other.
  • KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    Don't go to lifepod 8.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Only pick up what you need and not randomly everything you come across or you will run into inventory problems.
    You can drop scrap metal below your pod without worry, if you need more room, don't turn them into Titanium Bars unless you know exactly what to use those for.
    Swimming on or close to the surface will allow you to avoid almost all predators; good for collecting Creepvines without getting nibbled on.
    Caves and volcanic vents contain more abundant and rare resources.
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    Don't be too afraid of the stalkers and other such creatures just be quick and get the recourses you need. Also you can go to the Aurora as soon as you like as long as you stick to the surface as the reapers stick to the depths.

Quickly visit the grand reef, it is safe and the moon pool fragment can be found in the wreck closest to the surface. Also diamond= laser cutter, laser cutter + radiation suit + welder = every goodie in the ship.

The only real argument for needing the sea glide is to get the crash powder safely and it makes it easier to get the diamonds but a few tanks dose fine. But I would get it anyway as it is very usfull
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    Seaglide has a fixed speed of 10.something. It is not affected by fins or tanks. Biggest single modifier are the speed fins those give a whooping increase while the other stuff just nudges it back and forth. Just remember there is a minimum speed you need to achieve for charging fins to actually work... in short charging fins + 2 heavy tanks is as far as you should take it usually. There are a few places where your speed is reduced drastically so unless you have no tanks charging fins wont work.

You can use grapling arm on "moving" things... so yes you can "ride" a reefback but a lot of fauna is very wonky when it comes be being grappled, sometimes you can grapple crabsquid and then punch him in the eyeball and sometimes it will get flung across the galaxy and you along with it. Oh the memories of flying over Aurora with a crabsnake pulling my poor PRAWN suit, tho admittedly it was a pretty fun experience.

Do not! do any actions that will add items to your inventory on Cyclops if your inventory is full that includes medkit fabricator as the most common offender. Items have collision and they will prevent you from being able to move Cyclops. Finding them can be really hard because things are not rendered properly through Cyclops as in if any part of Cyclops that is rendered overlaps the other thing is not rendered at all... which can make finding that illusive medkit stuck inside a wall a futile endevour at best. You can build something that will fling your big boat hard or reload and hope to get unstuck... but if all else fails remove cell save where Cyclops is inside cell cashe folder.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    You can breed crashfish and then use propulsion cannon like a makeshift rocket launcher.(not very beginerrish tip but ROCKET LAUNCHER)

Holy nuts I have to try this.

Don't just go out and gather a bunch of resources before you know what you're going to do with them. you'll run out of storage space very quickly and have a bunch of odd ingredients and materials sitting around forever. Look in the Fabricator for the item recipes so you know what errands you have to run.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    Don't build a wall locker opposite the entrance to the alien containment. You end up exiting the alien containment and automatically opening up your inventory, which is a pain!
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    You can head northeast to find the mountain island. The outcrops here can give you the diamond you desperately need for a repair tool. You can head southwest from the lifepod for the floating island, where you can find everything you need to start farming your own food.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    1. Learn to catch peepers!

If you're that fast, you don't have to fear anything.

2. Study creature behaviour!

Don't let them surprise you.
    edited December 2016
    You can head northeast to find the mountain island. The outcrops here can give you the diamond you desperately need for a repair tool. You can head southwest from the lifepod for the floating island, where you can find everything you need to start farming your own food.

Emmm....

It goes
    .           .N
    .         .W  .E
    .           .S

So if you're heading Northeast, you're traveling towards the front of the Aurora wreck, and getting closer to the wreck... I'm pretty sure if the Aurora is facing North, then you'd head North West to get to the mountains and South East to get to the floating island?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can check tomorrow regardless.
    edited December 2016

Emmm....

It goes
    .           .N
    .         .W  .E
    .           .S

So if you're heading Northeast, you're traveling towards the front of the Aurora wreck, and getting closer to the wreck... I'm pretty sure if the Aurora is facing North, then you'd head North West to get to the mountains and South East to get to the floating island?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can check tomorrow regardless.

Nope, the Aurora faces North East so it's South West to the Floating Island. It's almost directly in line with the Aurora's stern. The Mountain Island lays almost directly off the port bow of the Aurora, which is indeed to the North North East of the Safe Shallows. (Give or take a few degrees.)
    w4cpi3jfyuyr.png

Before recent updates, one of the first things I've always done when starting a new game has been swimming to the South West. Keep the Aurora's stern right behind you and keep going until you hit the Floating Island.
    And here's my tip.
    Save this map (different from above) and put it into your screenshot folder. Then you can see it from your PDA in-game or put it into a picture frame by your base entrance so you can have a look before you leave to explore.

vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/7/7e/595137118_preview_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161126033628
    (You might have to resize it, but I don't know any more.)