Guide: How to enter lost river and inactive lava zone step by step

Maestro5563Maestro5563 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223210Members
Hey guys.

Many mid-game players wish to explore the famous lost river and inactive lava zone because they want to see something like:
3nmomth3sk2j.jpg
kpaju6qvjh9z.jpg
4rxng5f47wt0.jpg

They tried many guides on internet, but they are not quite easily to follow. I, myself, tried many ways to enter LR and ILZ but failed and end up lost and stuck in some unknown abyss.

Now, I've decided to break down the entering process step by step so that you can follow easier.

Before I start, you should know that LR and ILZ have multiple entrances. What I'm going to use is bloodkelp entrance.
Okay, now, get your equipment ready, let's explore!

Step 1: Goto bloodkelp zone. It's between dune, and sea treader's path. the easiest way to find it, is go straight from pod 5, passing pod 17, and keep going. When you see a wreck and many bloodkelp 350m something deep, dive.

Step 2: Dive to the bottom, you should be in a place around 610m deep. It's a deep trench in bloodkep zone.

Step 3: Navigate in the trench until you reach (-1297, -621, -271). You can check your position by pressing F1. Here, when you are looking backward, you see bloodkelp:
4usbbekulhxe.jpg

Step 4: Go to the cave in front of you, you will notice the temperature dropped drastically, to around 4 degrees Celcius. (This is LR's property, frigid.)

Step 5: Keep going into the cave, if see this that means you are right:
n45kld4ht2z0.jpg

Step 6: Keep going, until you reach the giant fossil:
vx8gyo5berg4.jpg

You can see the coordinate in this picture. Also, if you want to visit the skull, it's coordinate is (-758, -708, -277).

Step 7: Navigate yourself to this place, coordinate in screenshot.
679f5liubvmm.jpg

Step 8: Now we head to a tree cove area in LR:
jghzehwdkrsi.jpg

Step 9: Keep going, see a lovely tree in the previous step? Go for it! You will find tons of ghost ray here.
9gslk7r3z08m.jpg

Step 10: And going, be aware of the hot vent here:
ex7kaqkskq67.jpg

Step 11: Turn left after passing thru the hot vent.
q1j56i8yy7yv.jpg

Step 12: Go straight, until you see a place heading to deeper place:
k0voqe8vr40v.jpg

Step 13: Dive:
opqcivbp4dpj.jpg

Keep going, and voila!
anyhwhfovrc8.jpg

Welcome to ILZ!

6omz4k4i10qr.jpg

Comments

• Maestro5563Maestro5563 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223210Members
    There is a faster way to ILZ thru crashing zone. I followed that path before, and struggled a lot...
    This way is simpler although it requires some navigation.

I'm planning to build a huge seabase in LR once this biome is completed.
    The problem is, the bloodkelp deep trench is too narrow so that Cyclops can't enter this place.

I built a seabase at the entrance of LR, which eases my exploration, and further seabase constructions in LR and even in ILZ.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Bloodkelp 2 entrance is probably easier to find (just go to west end of underwater islands) and easier to cyclops navigate. If you're feeling adventurous you can get in through the deep grand reef, but getting the clops through there is a freaking chore with all those blue ball things.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Bloodkelp 2 entrance is probably easier to find (just go to west end of underwater islands) and easier to cyclops navigate. If you're feeling adventurous you can get in through the deep grand reef, but getting the clops through there is a freaking chore with all those blue ball things.

Well I choose bloodkelp simply because I happened to build my main seabase there before even realized that there is LR or ILZ... lol
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    The Deep Grand Reef entrance to the ILZ is pretty easy to find too, and it's nice and wide, at least once you're inside. Might be a little tight for a Cyclops in some places though.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    It's also worth it to bring along a dive reel, or multiple beacons to trace your route down there, since finding your way back out can prove somewhat problematic the first couple trips. (It's easy to get turned around on your trip out and wind back up in the center.

Also, the rebreather + reinforced diving suit is a must for this biome. The ambient temp the lava zone is pretty much universally 50-65C+, and the reinforced suit lets you endure temps up to 70C before taking heat damage, (Compared to 50C in the basic or still suits) and trying to clear energy leeches from the outside of your Cyclops with the Prawn is way more of a pain than just using a hardened diving knife.

Another note, check your Prawn after redocking with the Cyclops for leeches, as they will still drain your Cyclops batteries if they are attached to the Prawn after it's docked.